What's new

Israel willing to strike Iran on its own, says ex-security chief

iranigirl2

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
As the US and other world powers resume pursuit of a diplomatic solution to Iran’s nuclear programme, Israel’s outgoing national security chief has joined other officials in sounding a tough warning, insisting that the Jewish state has the ability to strike the Islamic Republic and is willing to go it alone.

In an interview with the Financial Times, Yaakov Amidror, who stepped down last month, said Israel could halt Iran’s nuclear weapons capability “for a very long time”, and added its air force had been conducting “very long-range flights . . . all around the world” as part of preparations for a possible military confrontation with Iran.

“We are not the United States of America, of course, and believe it or not they have more capabilities than us,” Mr Amidror said. “But we have enough to stop the Iranians for a very long time.”

Mr Amidror’s comments are the latest in a series of strong – and at times belligerent – remarks by Israeli government officials, who are in open disagreement with the US about the negotiations to get Iran to freeze its military nuclear capability. A new round of talks will open in Geneva on Wednesday.

Israel opposes the notion of an interim deal between Iran and world powers that falls short of dismantling Iran’s nuclear programme entirely. Benjamin Netanyahu, the prime minister, last week gave one of his strongest hints yet that Israel might strike Iran when he said that a “bad deal” was liable to lead to war.

The US has consistently opposed an Israeli attack on Iran. Washington fears a unilateral strike would prompt huge retaliation against Israel, particularly from Iran’s Lebanon-based ally Hizbollah, as well as possible Iranian reprisals against US military installations in the Gulf.

Officials and analysts in the US and Israel also say Israel acting alone would inflict less damage to Iranian nuclear facilities than a US-led operation.

While the Pentagon has made available to Israel a broad range of military technologies, one of the weapons it has held back is its new generation of “bunker-buster” bombs. Military analysts believe it is the only weapon potentially able to destroy Iran’s uranium enrichment facility at Fordow, which is buried deep under a mountain.

Mr Amidror, when asked whether Israel’s military capability included the ability to strike Iran’s underground nuclear installations, said: “including everything”, but declined to elaborate.

“We are not bluffing,” Mr Amidror said. “We are very serious – preparing ourselves for the possibility that Israel will have to defend itself by itself.”

He said Israel’s preparations for possible conflict included long-range flights to ready Israeli pilots for possible missions to Iran.

“From here to Iran, it is 2,000km, and you have to be familiar with such destinations,” Mr Amidror said.
He added: “All those who have radar cover of the Middle East know what we are doing.” He said that the flights had been taking place “for a few years”.

Mr Amidror, a two-star general, served as Israel’s national security adviser for two and a half years, longer than any of his predecessors. He has known Mr Netanyahu since 1969, when they took an intelligence course together near Tel Aviv.

When asked whether he was convinced the Israeli prime minister had it in him to take unilateral military action, he said: “If you ask about him personally as a prime minister, he is ready to take such decisions. The answer is a clear yes.” He added: “The situation will be the determining factor for any prime minister. The situation will dictate actions.”

Israel is thought to have a nuclear weapons arsenal of its own, which it has never acknowledged. It sees Iran’s pursuit of a nuclear bomb as a threat to its existence and says a nuclear-armed Iran would threaten other countries – including the US – and draw the region into a new arms race.

“It is not just a threat to Israel, it is a threat to the whole of the Middle East and, towards the end of this decade, to the world,” Mr Amidror said. “But we cannot count on others to do the job if the others don’t want to do the job.”

If Hizbollah were to retaliate by firing missiles and rockets at Israel, Mr Amidror indicated that Israel must be prepared to undertake a ground operation in Lebanon to root out those doing the firing.

“We will have to be ready to use ground forces to go into the urban centres and to deal with the people who are launching the rockets, and to destroy the rockets and launchers,” he said.

Israel willing to strike Iran on its own, says ex-security chief - FT.com

@iranigirl2 Why exactly do Israel and Iran hate each other? I mean, if it's for Iran to show solidarity with Palestinian Arabs, doesn't it sound hollow when one sees that Iran has problems with it's own Arab neighbours like S.Arabia and Iraq? I guess there are no simple answers on this one.

@iranigirl2 Why exactly do Israel and Iran hate each other? I mean, if it's for Iran to show solidarity with Palestinian Arabs, doesn't it sound hollow when one sees that Iran has problems with it's own Arab neighbours like S.Arabia and Iraq? I guess there are no simple answers on this one.

Iran doesn't have any pronlems with Iraq.

Good luck to both of you Iran and Israel.

Just stay away from us. 

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least they had in the past...for 8 bloody years. And it would be much more helpful if you could answer my question. I seriously don't know what exactly was Israel's fault that the first thing that iran did post 1979 was to cut off all ties with Israel and withdraw the recognition to their Statehood.

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
@iranigirl2 Why exactly do Israel and Iran hate each other?
Religion. Simple as that. Anything else, especially the Palestinians, is just cover for the essence of the hostility Iran have for Israel: religion.

Do note she avoided your question completely and diverted to Iraq.

I do believe them, but I don't believe it would yield long term results.

Eventually, Iran will learn from its mistakes if such a war broke out and work around it.

Iran will conceal sites even more and improve defensive measures.

In the long term if that is what they want they may get it. What effect that would have on their nation is another story.

And I also wonder if they would ever test a nuclear weapon. I wanna know how that would work as they would be blamed for any unknown nuclear test.

And it wouldn't be a good idea to do so with a small arsenal they may need a developed arsenal to ensure no repercussions.

So thats the only reason they severed ties after 1979?

Yes, for the same reason they are hostile to us too.

12ers believe that their messiah won't appear till Mecca and Jerusalem falls into their hands.

Here is a video of the leader of Hezbollah in Iraq, listen to whom he was referring to in his conquest of Arabia :lol:

@Indischer

Last edited:
arabs are scared even when israel is threatening iran. pathetic :lol:
iranians problem with israel is much deeper than most of you think of . it's about betrayal . it's about hostility lasted for 2300 years. and those who doesn't know about this, better shut their mouth :tup:

Religion. Simple as that. Anything else, especially the Palestinians, is just cover for the essence of the hostility Iran have for Israel: religion.

Do note she avoided your question completely and diverted to Iraq.

Which religion would that be? Iranian or Israeli or both? 
arabs are scared even when israel is threatening iran. pathetic :lol:
iranians problem with israel is much deeper than most of you think of . it's about betrayal . it's about hostility lasted for 2300 years. and those who doesn't know about this, better shut their mouth :tup:

Focus my friend... Arabs are no where in the threat party.

Back
Top Bottom