What's new

Israel, Vietnam agree to direct flights in follow-up to free trade deal

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Israeli Minister of Economy and Industry Nir Barkat with his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyễn Hồng Diên in Hanoi, Aug. 16, 2023. Credit: Israeli Economy Ministry Spokesperson.

Israeli Minister of Economy and Industry Nir Barkat with his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyễn Hồng Diên in Hanoi, Aug. 16, 2023. Credit: Israeli Economy Ministry Spokesperson.
(August 16, 2023 / JNS)

Israel and Vietnam signed an agreement in Hanoi on Wednesday to launch the first direct flights between their countries.

According to the agreement signed by Israeli Minister of Economy of Industry Nir Barkat and Vietnamese Minister of Industry and Trade Nguyễn Hồng Diên, flights between Hanoi and Tel Aviv will begin in October.

The accord also allows Israelis to enter the Southeast Asian country with electronic visas. Barkat said this takes effect immediately and eliminates the need for visitors to first go to the Vietnamese embassy in Tel Aviv to obtain visas.

“These are extremely significant achievements that will make it possible to increase trade and doing business between the countries,” Barkat said. “Vietnam is our gateway to Asia and is becoming a key and growing country. Tightening and strengthening our relations is important to Israel and Vietnam and I congratulate the Vietnamese government for their warm hospitality and willingness to strengthen the relationship between our peoples.”

Israel and Vietnam signed a free trade agreement in July that is expected to streamline tourism, reduce tariffs and provide a competitive advantage for Israeli exporters.

Vietnam is one of those nations most likely to take over at least part of China's mantle as the world's manufacturing plant. Between Israeli tech innovation and the Vietnamese rising star in low cost manufacturing it seems like worthwhile partnership. The FTA is a great way to go!.

Vietnam is one of those nations most likely to take over at least part of China's mantle as the world's manufacturing plant. Between Israeli tech innovation and the Vietnamese rising star in low cost manufacturing it seems like worthwhile partnership. The FTA is a great way to go!.

I would like to know more about Israel's tech innovation. What tech innovation Israel has made in the last 50 years? What technology they have actually developed by themselves, like Korea or Taiwan or China, which the world have to buy from them only?.

We Vietnamese have a lot of respect to Israel, including myself, although we support the struggle of Palestinian people. However, talking about something like "tech innovation" from Israel seems far-fetched and over-hyped. All seems to be just Western-media rhetoric in the last 70 years to support Israel.

Aside from small arms, which are quite average in quality, I cannot see any military things that are actually Israel-made, in the sense of made in China or made in Korea products. They just do assembly works and input some Israeli contents. Agricultural technologies from them seems OK, but not something very special. Every developed countries has different technologies to suit themselves.

I would like to know more about Israel's tech innovation. What tech innovation Israel has made in the last 50 years? What technology they have actually developed by themselves, like Korea or Taiwan or China, which the world have to buy from them only?.

Israel is famous for its inventions and discoveries that would run into the tens of thousands if someone would ever try and make a list.

Wiki has a page just for this (including tech inventions), though alas it only contains a very tiny portion of them. Also since there are so many new ones all the time it is hardly up to date.

Here are some of my favorite:

If you are indeed interested in the subject (and this is indeed an interesting forum to be discussing Israeli tech 😉 ), here is an online magazine that features some (just a few of course) of the latest tech from Israel.

By the way. You were wondering what Israel has invented by themselves and then listed a few countries as if said counties were all inventing everything in-country. Know that most large tech companies (including those that produce much of the tech you can see around your room, including the hardware and software you are viewing this message on) and many smaller tech companies, have at least one R&D facility if not more in tiny Israel to benefit from the constant bounty of Israeli tech. Just for instance you mentioned Korea. Well welcome to Samsung Israel -

They are hardly alone amongst those that have bet big on Israeli tech. Google, Intel, Apple, Cisco, Facebook, John Deer, Huawei, Marck Group... You name it, what you think is unique to one country probably has a lot of Israeli tech inside it.

When the Indian PM visits Israel, at the top of the list of discussions is Israeli tech and how India can collaborate. When the UAE signs the Abraham Accords, at the top of the list of its interests are the vast flows of Israeli tech. They understand the big picture. I suspect the Vietnamese leaders do too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've read the list in Wikipedia and spared the aish.com list, because I do not know about the quality of the source.

Quite impressive, however, this list is not sufficient to change my opinion. Israeli / Jewish scientists, personally, are great in basic sciences, especially if they are working in the US. Vietnamese scientists are surely far behind.

But my point is about different matters. Just for example,

- Iron Dome is an overhyped system. It cannot intercept even the primitive rockets from Palestine effectively, which can be man-made in some simple workshops. In addition, how it can be used in real welfare, if enemy launches a 200-dollar rocket and you have to use a 1-million dollar missile to prevent it.

- Merkava tank is just an assembly product, but Western media incessantly tell us that it is the best tank in the world. Why no country interested in this tank, even it is cheaper than many others,

- J-10 aircraft is surely not from Lavi project, as Israel was, and has never been capable to manufacture a single aircraft with its own components and systems, while J-10 is fully manufactured in China.

Last edited:
But my point is about different matters. Just for example,

- Iron Dome is an overhyped system. It cannot intercept even the primitive rockets from Palestine effectively, which can be man-made in some simple workshops. In addition, how it can be used in real welfare, if enemy launches a 200-dollar rocket and you have to use a 1-million dollar missile to prevent it.

Fortunately you are not the judge on Israeli weaponry. You might want to also educate yourself on these "facts" you keep bringing up.

For instance. Yes the Iron Dome certainly can and usually does intercept almost all the rockets fired into Israel that it targets. (Rockets that will not land in populated areas are ignored). It has a greater that 90% interception rate and even limited interception abilities against cruise missiles. Let me know if you need links.

Secondly Iron Dome interceptors do not cost a million USD each. You may be confusing this with the Patriot missiles. Estimates range from $40k-$100k with most that I have seen being at the lower end.

Having said that, Israel is aware of the cost difference and other challanges. Which is why it is busy implementing the Iron Beam to partner with the Iron Dome. The two systems will likely compliment each others strengths and weaknesses.

As for the Merkava tank, it is optimized for Israeli needs and Israeli battlefield conditions. Few others that Israel would sell to have the same requirements.

If you are looking for Israeli Systems that are relatively popular, consider for instance the Spyder Air Defence.

If you are looking for something impressive consider the Trophy APS.

Anyway the point about this is that you are not in a knowledgeable position to start judging neither Israeli tech nor Israeli arms. If you are from Vietnam then your government has a far clearer and more knowledgeable idea of both. Which is why it has purchased 1.5 Billion USD of Israeli arms over the last decade and is looking to spend a other 500 million in the near future. And of course their knowledge of Israel's impressive tech capabilites is part of the impetus for the free trade agreement.

Last edited:

We Vietnamese have a lot of respect to Israel, including myself, although we support the struggle of Palestinian people. However, talking about something like "tech innovation" from Israel seems far-fetched and over-hyped. All seems to be just Western-media rhetoric in the last 70 years to support Israel.

Aside from small arms, which are quite average in quality, I cannot see any military things that are actually Israel-made, in the sense of made in China or made in Korea products. They just do assembly works and input some Israeli contents. Agricultural technologies from them seems OK, but not something very special. Every developed countries has different technologies to suit themselves.
It has most number of noble laureates for its size. Most number of phd holders for their size.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom