What's new

Is Tianhe-2 Overrated?

C130

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
t12.jpg

it's been the fastest supercomputer in the world since it's debut in June 2013. running at a blistering speed of 33.86 Pflops, but this monster also consumes 17.6 MW of power (24MW including cooling) that's enough power to power 240,000 homes in the U.S

fast as it is, it's inefficient. coding for Tianhe-2 is a challenge , and the cost just to use it is insanely high.

World's fastest computer, Tianhe-2, might get very little use | South China Morning Post

Don't really know, people don't know many things that they think they do:cheers:

funny how the Chinese proved the Moon landing happened with it's Chang'e 2

11 Proofs That The Apollo Moon Landings Were NOT Fake

I've read that Tianhe-2 was crucial in helping develop many weapons, oil exploration, machinery, medicines, and IT.

Tianhe-2 has allowed China to close the technology gap with the US.
I never said Tianhe-2 doesn't work. It just doesn't work much. It's like a Ford Mustang with a lot of power, but you don't take it out often for a ride. It just sits in the garage collecting dust

China's Supercomputing Strategy Called Out

his week, several Chinese news sites came out with essentially the same critique: China is spending too much money on hardware, but isn’t investing enough in software. Operating cost is another issue. The electricity bill for Tianhe-2 runs between 400,000 yuan and 600,000 yuan ($65,000-$100,000) a day.

Tianhe-2 was built by the National University of Defence Technology at a cost of 2.4 billion yuan ($390 million). It began trial operations in April and has so far served 120 clients at 34 percent of its capacity, supporting such projects as railway design, astrophysics and genetics, according to a piece in the South China Morning Post. Because of a lack of software support from the project’s backers, however, users have been forced to write the programs themselves, making the expensive machine less useful than it could be.

“It is at the world’s frontier in terms of calculation capacity, but the function of the supercomputer is still way behind the ones in the US and Japan,” remarked Chi Xuebin, deputy director of the Computer Network and Information Centre under the Chinese Academy of Sciences. “It’s like a giant with a super body but without the software to support its thinking soul.”

In a rebuttal to these claims, the chief designer of the supercomputer, Lu Yutong from National University of Defense Technology in Changsha, has joined the debate. Lu took issue with assertions that the system was only “theoretically powerful,” noting that the LINPACK benchmark measures actual performance. She also pushed back on claims that Tianhe-2 was gobbling up too much energy, referring to TOP500 metrics that showed the Tianhe-2 as being nearly equal with the consumption of the US Titan and Sequoia machines. Lu added that Tianhe-2 uses far less energy than Japan’s K computer.

As for one of the most sticky critiques of China’s computing strategy, which is that it emphasizes performance numbers over practical applications, Lu responded that Tianhe-2 has contributed to the fields of energy, meteorology, aviation and astronautics, biomedicine and industrial manufacturing. She also said that the machine supports a wide array of users, including enterprise, academia and government researchers. As a further data point, Lu added that SeisSol, the seismic simulation software running on Tianhe-2, was nominated for the Bernard M Gordon Bell Prize.

Lu conceded ground on one point, however – software development – acknowledging that “China is still behind in software, as high-efficiency software development depends on the overall scientific and technological level of the nation.”

Another critique from MarketWatch’s Laura He goes even further, questioning not just China’s software prowess, but taking aim at the troublingly low utilization rates of its most expensive number-crunchers. The author cites a report from the NewEase Chinese new portal that claims less than 20 percent of China’s supercomputers have been used for scientific research.

“It seems a lot of these massive machines, usually made with large government investment, lie idle after they are made, or are even abandoned midway, due to fundamental defects in China’s traditional bureaucratic management system,” remarks He.

Mira_-_Blue_Gene_Q_at_Argonne_National_Laboratory_-_Skin.jpg

I would even go as far to say that the Argonne Mira is a better supercomputer than Tianhe-2

it runs at 8.59 Pflops and only consumes 3.9MW of power :wave:

a very efficient design compared to Tianhe-2 and it's 24MW energy consumption

Mira is First Supercomputer to Simulate Large Hadron Collider Experiments

Tianhe-2 : 24 MW for 33.86 Pflops
IBM: 3.9 MW for 8.59 Pflops
If you scale IBM machine to 33.86 Pflops, it could consume to 16 MW. IBM machine is only 50% energy efficient. Tianhe-2 sacrifices 50% energy efficiency for 4 times boost on speed. It is a great achievement since it can save much time to reduce development cycles greatly.

Smells like jealousy from Americunts.

so it's not overrated :o:

good conversation

Tianhe-2 : 24 MW for 33.86 Pflops
IBM: 3.9 MW for 8.59 Pflops
If you scale IBM machine to 33.86 Pflops, it could consume to 16 MW. IBM machine is only 50% energy efficient. Tianhe-2 sacrifices 50% energy efficiency for 4 times boost on speed. It is a great achievement since it can save much time to reduce development cycles greatly.

the point is Tianhe-2 can't even run at it's full potential because of the lack of coding/software

Tianhe-2 was built by the National University of Defence Technology at a cost of 2.4 billion yuan ($390 million). It began trial operations in April and has so far served 120 clients at 34 percent of its capacity

34% capacity :rofl:

you mention scaling which means jack if the higher performing machine isn't running at it's peak performance.

it can reach 200 miles per hour but is only going 60 miles per hour (another car analogy)

the 10 Pflops Mira with it's lower cost is operating at the same speed.

which brings me back to saying Tianhe-2 is overrated.

Last edited:
so it's not overrated :o:

good conversation

the point is Tianhe-2 can't even run at it's full potential because of the lack of coding/software

34% capacity :rofl:

you mention the scaling which means jack if the higher performing machine isn't running at it's peak performance.

it can reach 200 miles per hour but is only going 60 miles per hour (another car analogy)

the 10 Pllops Mira with it's lower cost is operating at the same speed.

which brings me back to saying Tianhe-2 is overrated.

You must have been living on shoe string in your childhood. "600 ft apartment is big enough for you, why you build a 4000 ft home"? Come on, bashing China for some better reasons.

3 reason they did what they did:

1. They have the sources to do it;
2. They have the tech to do it;
3. They do it with some power to spare.

Why are you so bitter about it?

Last edited:
C130 has been in rare form since China placed HQ-9 on the islands :lol:
I honestly could care less about the SCS :whistle:

You must have been living on shoe string in your childhood. "600 ft apartment is big enough for you, why you build a 4000 ft home"? Come on, bashing China for some better reasons.

3 reason they did what they did:

1. They have the sources to do it;
2. They have the tech to do it;
3. They do it with some power to spare.

Why are you so bitter about it?

I didn't know a 4000 ft home becomes outdated in 5 years which Tianhe-2 is already reaching that point.

why not build 3 supercomputer each 15 Pflops instead of 1 that only operates at 34% of it's capacity :disagree:

China likes to build and build things that won't be used like ghost cities and malls :enjoy:

all show no substance

Sure you don't :lol:

You've been on a China-bashing run since China-US frictions started.

Your so-called 'evidence' is beyond laughable and everyone see that.

That's why we are laughing at YOU.
I don't bash on China

quite the opposite to be honest. I have seen a lot of is anti-US threads coming from the Chinese members here.

and this thread is about whether Tianhe-2 is overrated.

I don't bash on China

quite the opposite to be honest. I have seen a lot of is anti-US threads coming from the Chinese members here.

and this thread is about whether Tianhe-2 is overrated.

Of course it's highly overrated.

A supercomputer that helped China develop advanced weapons, IT, machinery, oil exploration, medicines is extremely overrated.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom