What's new

Is Pakistan still short of electricity?

OIO

Reaction score
Country
China
I watched some Chinese vlogs in Pakistan. In summer, there are often power outages. Haven't so many power plants been built?

I watched some Chinese vlogs in Pakistan. In summer, there are often power outages. Haven't so many power plants been built?

Lack of transmission lines to effectively distributed the electricity generated as well as heavy spike in demand as temperatures soar from what I understand.

couple of months of the extreme summer time becomes a spike in power consumption since everyone is running air conditioners and fans so rolling power outages are conducted usually during the day times in residential areas to supply more power to industrial & commercial sectors. tapers off in the evening and nights and goes away after summer. but we need to go full force ahead with dams, wind & nuclear power. anyone who gets in the way, shoot em in the butt then skin em and fry em.

In addition in Giigit Bultistan area, electricity trasnmisison system is not very well developed. So there are power outages to distribute the load on the system.

Transmission lines capacity issue remains. There is surplus power Generation capability now...

Transmission lines capacity issue remains. There is surplus power Generation capability now...
Exactly the issue is old transmission system. When there use to be Loadshedding in PPP time even if in entire city light used to go for one hour then come for one hour. In Punjab University it used to be every ten minutes the reason being Punjab University transmission was old and was not able to hold its ground when people started using AC. It also caused fire sometimes.

Electricity is an industry of both product and service but still it is being neglected by the governments. Demand is always high in this sector. Installing new plants will create more jobs both directly and indirectly. Cheap electricity if provided to the public will create more jobs and help reducing inflation but priorities are different in Pakistan.

Electricity is an industry of both product and service but still it is being neglected by the governments. Demand is always high in this sector. Installing new plants will create more jobs both directly and indirectly. Cheap electricity if provided to the public will create more jobs and help reducing inflation but priorities are different in Pakistan.

absolutely correct, cheap electricity provide jobs.

but to install any new plants and have cheap electricity. even with current capacity production is not in full swing due to non-payment to the IPPs and demand hence the circular debt.

past projects with hard terms are bleeding us to pay with high electricity rates. and i don't think until we have more demand we can install new projects just to bring down the electricity rates, to whom it will be sold? we are giving up on coal any more and the cheap is hydroelectric which is already under development with several projects but it take years.

few bad decisions in the past bring so much of the problem and it is major sector due to which it is getting hard to compete with regional rivals for cost effective products. it will take some time to neutralize that effect.

there is no shortage of electricity rather it is surplus. but as @FuturePAF said transmission lines are not upgraded simultaneously over the time but it is now under up gradation process.
Not only transmission lines but also IMF....

Because of terms Govt accepted from IMF they need to increase electricity bills gradually which mean now electricity in Pakistan iS much expensive and if Govt provide 24/7 electricity people will receive huge bills and so protest....so cunning minded people in Govt decides to to do load-shedding so people will use less and pay same amount as before....see how h@rrami they are.....we are producing enough electricity but prices are very high due to IMF terms........

Last edited:
no shortage of electricity in Pakistan, one of the only good thing done by PMLN was to increase generation with new plants.

no shortage of electricity in Pakistan, one of the only good thing done by PMLN was to increase generation with new plants.
In my city we are facing 10 to 12 hours load-shedding.....My city is one the biggest export industry but Govt still making it difficult for exporters to manufacture goods in Pakistan.

In my city we are facing 10 to 12 hours load-shedding.....My city is one the biggest export industry but Govt still making it difficult for exporters to manufacture goods in Pakistan.
as people had mentioned earlier there is problem in transmission.

Which city are you talking about...and there is a govt policy to provide electricity to the industry even if the residential area suffers.

Back
Top Bottom