What's new

Is India working on Extented Range BrahMos EX ?

Please don't confuse Shaurya and Brahmos. Brahmos is a cruise missile, a terrain hugging missile that stays close to the ground, to avoid detection.

Shaurya on the other hand is a modified Ballistic missile that instead of leaving the atmosphere stays in it. Shaurya is different from other ballistic missile in a way that it can maneuver and change its course anytime. But it is not a terrain hugging missile and flies at an altitude, which is why it can sustain such high speeds.

If it was a true cruise missile, DRDO scientists wouldn't have coined the term hybrid missile, which leads me to believe it is not a true cruise missile and lacks the necessary features of one. If it indeed flies at a high altitude, it would easier to detect and easier to shoot down as compared to Brahmos. Also we are not sure if it can sustain the speeds for all of its course or just for a fraction of it.

Brahmos has all the features of a cruise missile and hence I would prefer that. Also I don't think its range would be increased anytime soon since we are tied down by MTCR. But I also believe the 290km range stated might not be the real range since the missile it is derived from has a range of 600-700 km. So it is very capable of those speeds.

How can a sub test so many weapons. Is Arihant just a test platform and then Indian plan to develop true ballastic missile subs?

Most other countries that has SLBM also has such subs that are mainly to test missiles for another platforms so I'm wondering if Arihant serve the same role.

Arihant was initially conceived as a technology demonstrator.
Like demostrating a nuclear propulsion for naval use.One shouldnt be so surprised it future naval ships will go nuclear.There are currently two test platforms for nuke reactors.One is landbased and other in the form of Arihant.

On the side, a most notable future of Arihant is its modular vertical launch missile bay. It can take a missile of the size of Sagarika,Brahmos to Agni-IV.Its current 4 vertical launch tubes were made to accomodate 3 sagarika missiles in each tube,where a single A-IV is supposed to go.

Arihant in general will serve as a deterence ,untill fully grown subs with 8+ launch tubes roll out.
since Indians dont posses a sub with vertical launch capability,they will be utilising it in the mean time for testing purposes.
An Arihant can be loaded with Sagarika and Brahmos at the same time.Its launch control system was designed in such a way.

Please don't confuse Shaurya and Brahmos. Brahmos is a cruise missile, a terrain hugging missile that stays close to the ground, to avoid detection.

Brahmos is a terrain hugging missile? :hitwall:

Shaurya on the other hand is a modified Ballistic missile that instead of leaving the atmosphere stays in it. Shaurya is different from other ballistic missile in a way that it can maneuver and change its course anytime. But it is not a terrain hugging missile and flies at an altitude, which is why it can sustain such high speeds.

If it was a true cruise missile, DRDO scientists wouldn't have coined the term hybrid missile, which leads me to believe it is not a true cruise missile and lacks the necessary features of one. If it indeed flies at a high altitude, it would easier to detect and easier to shoot down as compared to Brahmos. Also we are not sure if it can sustain the speeds for all of its course or just for a fraction of it.

Brahmos has all the features of a cruise missile and hence I would prefer that. Also I don't think its range would be increased anytime soon since we are tied down by MTCR. But I also believe the 290km range stated might not be the real range since the missile it is derived from has a range of 600-700 km. So it is very capable of those speeds.

Shaurya is not a cruise missile its not ground hugging and trajectory is different.

Its trajectory is the mix of both the cruise and ballistic missile.

The scientist have shown me the charts and graphics how it will reach it's target. And its mix of both.

Shaurya has about 100 predefined fly paths, at the time of launch the person launching it will decide and only he will know the path missile will take.

Making it unpredictable + hypersonic speed + maneuver will make it about impossible to shot down.

I doubt it will have extended range since the missiles got liquid-fuel ramjet engine. I have no idea how many ramjets do brahmos carry. If more ramjets can be added and also solid fuel, then probably its range can be increased.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom