What's new

Is India a truly powerful country?

yes ajmal kasab is a sikh his name is amar singh -zahid Hamid

India comes at 4th position world over in terms of GDP(PPP),has 4th most powerful military,the largest democracy,and the second largest population.India has good relations with most of the major countries in the World,a good developing economy at home.

With these kind of statistics,if you consider India not to be a powerful country,well then,I must leave you at your condition.

Ofcourse India is still not ahead of China,but the potential is indeed there to surpass China.I can see a healthy competition in near future.

You may come 4th in ASIA in terms of GDP but how come its 4th in World?
Asia is not world.

You may come 4th in ASIA in terms of GDP but how come its 4th in World?
Asia is not world.

No, India's purchasing parity GDP is 4th in the world.

And it has been proved and accepted that Ajmal Kasab is a Pakistani citizen, so I'm not sure why you are whining about that on a totally unrelated thread.

Of course - I agree. All I am saying is that if we have enough firepower to defend ourselves against external threats that should be fine. Personally, I would have preferred if the Bombay cops had better bulletproof jackets during 26/11 than if India had an aircraft carrier patrolling the South China Sea.

Or rather a better coast guard to have prevented it from happening, if we look back there's lot of things we could have done, but we are learning from the mistakes, the police is better prepared now than they were earlier, the thing is these terrorists are smart and in order to counter them we need to be 1 step ahead of them which is not always possible for even US.
Bro, we have hostile nations surrounding us, and security is one of the top priorities, sadly some internal security problems also raised because the govt. failed to act.

How powerful we are, will come to know if the govt. is able to handle the situation. And that would be our internal strength, military external.

To be true a country's true strength lies in its unity.

And it has been proved and accepted that Ajmal Kasab is a Pakistani citizen, so I'm not sure why you are whining about that on a totally unrelated thread.

Purchasing power is due to huge population. EConomy has nothing to do with it .

Man why are you even trying explaining it to a useless people like him, just ignore them, knowing no one pays attention, they'll go somewhere else to troll.

Or rather a better coast guard to have prevented it from happening, if we look back there's lot of things we could have done, but we are learning from the mistakes, the police is better prepared now than they were earlier, the thing is these terrorists are smart and in order to counter them we need to be 1 step ahead of them which is not always possible for even US.
Bro, we have hostile nations surrounding us, and security is one of the top priorities, sadly some internal security problems also raised because the govt. failed to act.

How powerful we are, will come to know if the govt. is able to handle the situation. And that would be our internal strength, military external.

To be true a countries true strength lies in its unity.

Yea. The problem is the reactive rather than proactive nature of our govt. Even today I feel our ability to thwart a terror strike is low; but our ability to thwart any invasion is high. Just goes to show that instead of protecting major cities like city states we continue to cling to the older method of national protection.

Purchasing power is due to huge population. EConomy has nothing to do with it .

He is talking about Purchasing Power Parity,not Purchasing power.These two terms are different.
But then,you are wrong in saying that economy has got nothing to do with purchasing power.In fact,its exactly the opposite.If you have a stronger economy then you have more purchasing power...

Purchasing power parity::

Purchasing power parity (PPP) is a theory of long-term equilibrium exchange rates based on relative price levels of two countries. The idea originated with the School of Salamanca in the 16th century and was developed in its modern form by Gustav Cassel in 1918. The concept is founded on the law of one price; the idea that in absence of transaction costs, identical goods will have the same price in different markets.

In its "absolute" version, the purchasing power of different currencies is equalized for a given basket of goods. In the "relative" version, the difference in the rate of change in prices at home and abroad—the difference in the inflation rates—is equal to the percentage depreciation or appreciation of the exchange rate.

The best-known and most-used purchasing power parity exchange rate is the Geary-Khamis dollar (the "international dollar").

PPP exchange rate (the "real exchange rate") fluctuations are mostly due to different rates of inflation between the two economies. Aside from this volatility, consistent deviations of the market and PPP exchange rates are observed, for example (market exchange rate) prices of non-traded goods and services are usually lower where incomes are lower. (A U.S. dollar exchanged and spent in India will buy more haircuts than a dollar spent in the United States). Basically, PPP deduces exchange rates between currencies by finding goods available for purchase in both currencies and comparing the total
cost for those goods in each currency.

Source

Both sucks at this point...Dont you agree CardSharp???

China's rank has been going down and India has just risen 1 place since last year and guaranteed to rise a lot more next year given the CWG debacle. But yes 79th is something less to be desired (though Hongkong is does pretty well and it is ranked first in the world for doing business)

Back
Top Bottom