What's new

Is CW club worth joining?

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Just wanted to know what is Common Wealth Countries' group worth?

What are benefits to the countries included in the group?

any political, economic, strategic benefits ?

My take....there is absolutely no benefit of CW....It should be dismantled. The sooner, the better.

Let me add my point here.... i think cw citizens can vote in UK elections if they have residence or work permit..... correct me if I'm wrong

Let me add my point here.... i think cw citizens can vote in UK elections if they have residence or work permit..... correct me if I'm wrong

In other words if they have UK citizenship right? its same in many country if you are citizen of that country you can vote even if you have origin outside that country.

In other words its again benefit to UK political parties no benefit to member countries

My take....there is absolutely no benefit of CW....It should be dismantled. The sooner, the better.

I second that. It even does not bring any clout to Britain.

Or if Britain can have some good policy and make it a pressure group then that would be good

No use. Just waste of money. Most of the member countries dont have anything in common. I actually hate it. A relic of colonialism.:sniper::sniper:

I second that. It even does not bring any clout to Britain.

Or if Britain can have some good policy and make it a pressure group then that would be good

In its present form, CW risks irrelevance as an imperialist anachronism, but it does have potential to build bridges on multiple levels, and one of the ways it can be useful to Pakistan is increasing education links. The UK gains by maintaining its contacts amongst its former colonies.

In other words if they have UK citizenship right? its same in many country if you are citizen of that country you can vote even if you have origin outside that country.

In other words its again benefit to UK political parties no benefit to member countries

No my dad never took UK citizenship and had Indian passport till he died... many of my friends who r on work permit with Indian citizenship voted in the last election.

nothing is common between commonwealth countries although it suggests fair sharing of wealth. people who head the commonwealth shared nothing but robbed & looted the wealth of other countries. There is nothing you can gain by being on this club. it's just to celebrate the colonial imperialism of the british monarchy & sooner this is realised by all countries is better. just my openion!!

The only realistic use of sticking around with the Commonwealth is to steer this exclusive club into a afro-asian group in some sense, whether that sense is trade, foreign affairs, Anglais-speakers, Afro-Asian bonhomie, etc. is left to posterity. Ministry of Trade and the South Block think almost exactly along these lines, here is the latest : http://telegraphindia.com/1101017/jsp/b ... 066245.jsp
The obvious stumbling block is that the Commonwealth is a british,aus,canada,NZ in what is now the anglais-speaking world. The resistance towards transforming the Commonwealth into a trading block, let alone a FTA, is going to be huge. The vision is there, we should nt leave the Commonwealth till we get a better shot at steering this forum into OURS. Our pak-centric foreign policy approach has left a huge vacuum in terms of what we can easily gain in our near-abroad: the Afro-Asian post-british space and the Indian subcontinent . Slowly, but steadily, the South Block has been trying to fix this malady.

In its present form, CW risks irrelevance as an imperialist anachronism, but it does have potential to build bridges on multiple levels, and one of the ways it can be useful to Pakistan is increasing education links. The UK gains by maintaining its contacts amongst its former colonies.

Sir i am asking if they have any such project ? in future thats what i said it can build such scenario for development projects including working in field of eduction

Last edited:

You can only vote in local elections in the UK if you are a commonwealth country citizen, but in general elections you have to be british citizen to vote. by the way, i always had this question in my head, what is the benefit of being member of commonwealth group? maybe nothing and just a show? not sure.

Back
Top Bottom