What's new

Is Beijing's smog getting worse?

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
BBC News - Is Beijing's smog getting worse?

Thick smog has blanketed Beijing in recent days, worrying residents

The end of the year usually sees the best weather in Beijing - sunny days, cool nights and the cleanest air.

But this year seems different. Residents have woken up to a succession of days with the city shrouded in smog.

Officials maintain that air pollution is on the decrease - but it does not feel like that for many people who live here.

They are now demanding more information about air pollution and its effects on their health.

The last few days in Beijing - and across large parts of northern China - seem typical of recent months: smog reducing visibility to just a few hundred metres.

Flights have been cancelled, roads have been closed and in some areas drivers have had to keep their lights on throughout the day.

"Run away from fog capital," said one online blogger, speaking about Beijing. It was just one of millions of entries on Chinese microblogging sites.

"I'm the father of two daughters and so I'm very worried about my children's health," said Gao Changling, as he made his way home from work.

Thousands of Beijing residents have bought face masks over the last few days to protect themselves.

But is the pollution really getting worse?

'Misinformation'
There is heated debate, the argument complicated by disagreements over how to measure pollution, where it should be measured and what standards should be used to grade air quality.

Many residents have taken to wearing face masks to protect themselves
China uses the PM10 standard (measuring particulate matter with a diameter of 10 millionths of a metre or less), for example, to check the concentration of small particles in the air.

But a monitoring facility installed at the US embassy in Beijing uses a stricter PM2.5 measure, which measures smaller particles which can work their way further into the human body.

The embassy regularly records higher levels of pollution than the Beijing government, something local residents can see on the embassy's Twitter reports of its results.

Steven Andrews, a Beijing-based environmental consultant, believes the government is not being completely honest about pollution levels.

"It continues its misinformation campaign that has misled the public and helped prevent real improvements in the city's air," he wrote on Chinadialogue, an environmental website.

Not everyone agrees though.

The city's environmental protection bureau maintains that the number of "blue sky days" has steadily increased over recent years.

"The pollution is definitely better than 10 years ago," said Prof Zhu Tong, who advised the government about air quality for the Beijing Olympics.

But he added that people now are more aware of the issue and less willing to put up with breathing in polluted air.

"As they get richer, people become more concerned about a better environment," said Prof Zhu, of Peking University.

'Nothing to hide'
Residents' worries have not gone unnoticed. Beijing's government announced last month that it would open a monitoring centre to visitors.

Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote

They want to know how bad the air quality is - and the government hasn't been doing a good job of providing that information”

Prof Zhu Tong
Peking University
We have nothing to hide from the public, declared Wang Xiaoming, a spokesman for the city's environmental protection bureau.

But it is not easy to visit the centre.

It is open to the public only on Tuesdays between 1400 and 1600. Just two groups are allowed in on each open day - meaning a maximum of 60 visitors a week.

It is not easy to find out how pollution affects the health of city residents either.

Buried in an article in the China Daily newspaper on Tuesday was a shocking statistic: the lung cancer rate has increased by 60% in Beijing in the last decade.

The comment was attributed to Mao Yu, deputy director of the local health bureau, who added that during the same period there had been no obvious increase in the smoking rate.

He said the main cause of lung cancer was still smoking, but the implication is that pollution is an increasing factor.

But health officials are not keen to talk about how they carried out their research or how they arrived at their conclusions - or even if the newspaper report is accurate.

Neither China's health ministry nor the Beijing health bureau were willing to discuss the issue when the BBC called for a comment.

As Prof Zhu said, people are now more demanding.

"They want to know how bad the air quality is - and the government hasn't been doing a good job of providing that information," he said.

The paradox is that more nuclear power plants need to be build up to instead of those coal heated ones,but the opposite opinions always emerged from people who also want a clear and clean weather.

we should take some actions for this. Really bad air here. I saw the forums in china are debating this recently.

The health of people are the top 1 issue for the gov now.

Nuclear power will definitely give cleaner air but it requires huge amounts of investment

Nuclear power will definitely give cleaner air but it requires huge amounts of investment

I am afraid of the issue happened in Japan. Although Japanese are quite experienced in dealing with nuclear things but the serious nuclear leak this year made me feel uneasy about the nuclear energy.

i dont like beijing weather``dusty and 24 hrs rushhour``

China air pollution disrupts transportation

By Barbara Demick and John Lee, Los Angeles Times
December 7, 2011
Reporting from Beijing—

Whether it's fog or smog, thousands of people have been delayed during the last few days by the almost-opaque air around Beijing Capital International Airport.

The delays since Sunday evening at one of the busiest, most modern airports in the world raise questions about whether air pollution in China has gotten bad enough to derail the country's economic growth. Nearly 1,000 flights have been canceled and 10 highways in northern China had to be closed due to lack of visibility.

Chinese authorities say the murk is fog, purely a weather phenomenon, acknowledging only that there was "light pollution." The U.S. Embassy in Beijing, which has its own air monitor on the roof, however, reported Sunday night that the index of fine particulate matter had soared to 522 micrograms per cubic meter, which is off the charts. (A reading between 300 and 500 is considered "hazardous.")

Beijingers bought more than 20,000 face masks on Taobao, a shopping site; and people took to the Internet to mock their government's reporting of air quality.

"They are treating citizens as idiots," complained a young man on Sina Weibo, a Twitter-like microblog. A middle-aged man wrote sarcastically, "The city looks like a fairyland but thanks to the government, it is only 'slight pollution.'"

The poor air quality Tuesday resulted in the cancellation of more than 370 flights. The U.S. Embassy monitor reported the particulate matter as "very unhealthy."

"At least I would feel better if I were compensated in some ways," said a technology executive, who gave his name as Lao Mo, sitting on an airport bench Tuesday and contemplating at least a six-hour delay for a business trip to Xian. "I don't want to make a judgment about whether what they are saying about 'fog' is actually true."

As of early Wednesday, many more flights were listed as canceled or delayed.

The Chinese government says that air quality is improving in Beijing and that the standards for "blue sky days," meaning air that is at least acceptable, are met 80% of the time.

Steven Q. Andrews, an environmental consultant who has been monitoring Beijing air-quality reports since the 2008 Summer Olympics, released a report Monday accusing Chinese authorities of seriously understating the severity of the city's pollution by failing to monitor all pollutants and moving monitors out of congested areas.

"In a recent study of over 500 cities around the world, the WHO found that urban areas in Mongolia, Madagascar, Kuwait and Mexico had the highest [fine particulate matter], but the pollution levels measured were only about half as severe as Beijing," Andrews wrote, referring to the World Health Organization.

Unlike the American Embassy, Beijing's Bureau of Environmental Protection does not track particles less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter, which experts said could penetrate lungs and other organs.

In recent weeks, Chinese have been clamoring for the government to adopt an international standard in reporting air pollution. Even the state-controlled news media have heaped scorn on environmental protection authorities.

"Suffocating smog has been covering Beijing like a greasy quilt recently," the China Daily editorialized recently. "All of the residents in the city are aware of the poor air quality, so it does not make sense to conceal it for fear of criticism."

China air pollution disrupts transportation - latimes.com

Long-term, it is better to have advanced thorium-based nuclear power plants near Beijing in place of oil and coal plants. China should accelerate its research and development on that power source more. ^^

I am afraid of the issue happened in Japan. Although Japanese are quite experienced in dealing with nuclear things but the serious nuclear leak this year made me feel uneasy about the nuclear energy.

there is more radioactivity in a pile of coal dust than in all the radioactive water from Fukushima.

The way to solve Beijing's air problems? Tell people how bad it is and hope to scare them away. I grew up in Beijing and the population now is like 3 times when I was a kid. Beijing can't support this many people.

The way to solve Beijing's air problems? Tell people how bad it is and hope to scare them away. I grew up in Beijing and the population now is like 3 times when I was a kid. Beijing can't support this many people.

A city can support people up to the water supply if they don't drive.

Not only Beijing but also north China is in bad atmosphere.Nuclear power as a kind of clean power must be adopted to use,we should not so hypocritical about it.

Not only Beijing but also north China is in bad atmosphere.Nuclear power as a kind of clean power must be adopted to use,we should not so hypocritical about it.

Nuclear energy is good, no pollution, clean... But you must take counter measures to face worst. Ex: Japanese Fukushima incident. If anything goes wrong it will curse your citizens for decades.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom