What's new

Is Amir Tehrik e Taliban Pakistan, Hakeemullah Mahsud dead?

Bill Longley

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LOST IDENTITY: Is Amir Tehrik e Taliban Pakistan, Hakeemullah Mahsud dead?
Is Hakeemullah Mahsud dead? The answer is that there is evidence that yes he is dead.
Six months after the death of Baitullah Mahsud in a drone attack, New Amir of Tehrik e Taliban Pakistan is dead, again as a result of drone attack on a compound near shaktoi in village of Fazal kot.
Shaktoi and Fazal kot are bordering areas with SWA in NWA. On 14 January 2010, US drone fired two missiles on a compound and adjacent house of a tribal named Yaqoob. Initial reports suggested that 10 militants were killed. Then un- named security officials leaked the report that Hakeemullah Mahsud, Amir TTP was amongst killed.
TTP spokes man; Azam Tariq denied the death of his leader. And told media persons via telephone that Hakeemullah left the place before the attack and was safe and he himself met him face to face.
The story took twist when yesterday government and Taliban (Daily Express) sources acknowledged that Hakeemullah was alive but got serious injuries on his head and was taken to safe place treatment.
“There are reports that Hakeemullah was wounded in the attack and is under treatment at an undisclosed location,” official sources told Daily Times, but did not say what type of injures the TTP chief was being treated for. “There is a 20 percent chance that Hakeemullah will survive,” said the officials, citing sources close to top Taliban leaders.

Yesterday Azam Tariq, Spokes man of TTP also contacted reporters and played a recorded message of Hakeemullah Mahsud to prove that Hakeemullah was well and alive. According to Samaa TV reporter, in the recorded statement Hakeemullah Mahsud did not mentioned anything about the 14 Jan Drone attack. Which raised the question about the authenticity of claim made by Tehrik e Taliban spokes man that it was fresh massage not recorded earlier.
The same reporter in his beeper on NEWS BEAT told the anchor Maher Bokhari that he asked Azam Tariq to arrange the meeting or conversation with Hakeemullah Mahsud on which Azam Tariq said that Hakeemullah is in far flung area and it is difficult to contact him. Interestingly the same gentleman (Azam Tariq) claimed that he met Hakeemullah Mahsud after the attack.
As a student of strategic studies and a media man I myself contacted my sources and asked about their opinion. A good friend of mine who is also buero chief of Pakistan’s largest newspaper and television channel in Peshawar gave an interesting comment. He said
I have never heard in past ten years of my coverage of FATA, I have never heard that someone escaped injured in drone strike. Either they are killed or escape before attack. If Hakeemullah escaped injured then it’s surprising because with head injury it’s impossible that he survived to escape. Secondly the lower rank Taliban are also reckoning that Hakeemullah is injured and he got missile shrapnel in his head near his ear. Azam Tariq’s statements themselves raising many questions and strengthens assumptions…..

Hakeemullah Mahsud or Jamshed Mahsud started his terror career as a driver to Baitullah Mahsud. Some reports suggest he was cousin of Qari Hussain Mahsud, the master trainer and father of suicide terrorism in Pakistan. He got fame due to his skills with AK 47 and Machine gun. Due to his personality he was permoted to TTP spokesman and he used to talk to media under the name of Zulifqar Mahsud. Due to his relations with Qari Hussain Mahsud and Military leadership potential he was soon promoted to commander of Aurak zai, Khyber and Kurram agencies.
Qari Hussain had great effect on Hakeemullah Mahsud. Qari Hussain who started his career as Lashker Jhungvi activist brain washed him and made him Hard line anti Shia . Hekeem Ullah Mahsud was responsible for terror activities and killing of Shias in Kurram, Hangu and Aurak Zai.
Aurak Zai was considered as his main Power base as it was area of his in-laws. In Aurak zai he had camps in which suicide bombers were trained. Here Hakeemullah have Lashker Jhungvi, Ghazi force and TTP cadre under his command. From here he conducted and controlled operations against Shias and Government forces.
After the death of Baitullah Mahsud disputes aroused in TTP. It was reported that Wali Ur Rehman Mahsud and Hakeemullah Clashed over the claim of leadership. But things were settled when foreign handlers intervened and Hakeemullah was Chosen as over all head and WaliurRehman as head of TTP SWA.
Hakeemullah Mahsud was also good Tactician. In his time TTP managed to staged many daring attacks such as attack on GHQ , in Islamabad , Lahore, Peshawar and in Karachi in which thousands of innocent civilians, children , women and old people died as a result.
US started Taking TTP seriously after it was proved that TTP was part of global militant network. After the 30th Dec 2009 suicide attack on US armies Forward Operating Base Chapman in which 7 CIA operatives died TTP claimed that it was its operation. Analysts were confused because Afghan Taliban also made similar claim. On 9th Jan 2010 TTP released a video of the suicide bomber Humaim Khalil Al Balawi an Al Qaeda member and Double agent vowing to avenge the death of the Pakistan Taliban leadership. "We will never forget the blood of our emir, Baitullah Mehsud. We will always demand revenge for him inside America and outside," declared Mr. al-Balawi, a Jordanian double agent, sitting beside Hakeemullah Mehsud.
CIA wowed to take revenge and it took the revenge on 14th .If Hakeemullah is dead as it seems to be. Then it’s a big success even bigger than 4 August 2009 drone strike which killed Baitullah. It’s ironical that same drone attacks which defy Pakistan’s sovereignty are the attacks which have killed two of the bitterest enemies of Pakistan.
Drone technology has proved to be an effective technology counter terrorism operations. As a Pakistani, to be honest I hate to see these drones targeting my country. However I also reckon that two of the biggest enemies of my country were killed by them. I think it will be prudent and help full if Americans give this technology to Pakistan or both Pakistani and American agents control and coordinate these strikes.
Nationalism is a religion. I cannot stop myself hating Americans when these drones strike my country, however they are useful some time. If Pakistani officials are joined in the operations the thing will be different. It will be Pakistani Security forces striking Terrorist and any collateral damage will not create hate against non regional actor.
If US want a long term friendship, it should realize this. In this part of world US is the most hated country due to its policies in Middle East and against Muslims. Friendship on equality and understanding is the only thing which will make US image better.

LOST IDENTITY: Is Amir Tehrik e Taliban Pakistan, Hakeemullah Mahsud dead?

his death will only slow them down but not end the whole crisis. it can only end in the form of full clean-up of pakistan from taliban and i am sure PA is doing a very difficult job very beautifully.

anyways, if he really is dead, we have one less taliban to go after, isnt it?

good job done by the US drone and congrats to Pakistani and US intelligence. i hope these drone attacks can be more productive and we can somehow minimize the civil fatalities.

regards

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom