What's new

Iranian UAVs | News and Discussions

Thats weird,despite the size of this drone the landing gear looks to be fixed,ie non retracting.
155356171614164107.jpg

The other thing thats strange is the small size of the flir sight,it looks like the ones used on the ababil 3[and the kaman 12],I would`ve expected at a minimum the same one used on the mohajer 6 or even the one used on the shahed 129.

--EDIT--
Now this could just be because this is just the prototype,as we saw the exact same thing done with the prototype shahed 129 which also used a fixed gear and a different engine,so its hard to come up with any definite conclusions but it seems likely that the airforce will continue with the arraignment that we saw with the kaman 12,ie it will do the airframe side of it while working in partnership with an established drone manufacturer doing the integration of all of the important stuff like control systems,avionics,weapons etc.

Its essentially what the airforce should`ve done right from the get go.

Last edited:
5AD1C418-F441-4AA9-9A0E-0E678AADB223.jpeg

how can Kaman-22 carry way more weapons when its payload is less than shahed-129? 300kg<400kg
(I think that the number provided regarding shahed-129 is fake...)
Anyone?

Its certainly fake, UAV Orion very similar to Shaheed 129 can carry up to 250 kg

Sadid bomb being its common armament, weights maximum 50 kg , probably even less, So, overall regular ordonance weight is up to 2oo kg

It could be a display model / prototype since Iran usually shows off its drones flying and in action.

Like I said, the Shahed-129 has a ferry range of 3400 KM, 1700 KM with its full payload.

The Kaman-22 seems to carry more weapons, have a heavier payload than the Shahed-129. Therefore I'm assuming that the Kaman-22's stated 3000 KM range is it's ferry range without any payload.

With a full payload the Kaman-22 likely has a range of approx 1000 KM give or take. Depending on the mission, the Kaman-22 could carry less of a payload and fly further.

Realistically though, for most missions, Iran's drones probably won't even go close to their full range, especially considering the fact that many of Iran's UAV's use line of sight radio frequencies for communication.

However Iran has stated that the new Shahed-129 uses satellite communication (most likely Chinese or Russian). Iranian drones can also be pre-programmed to hit specific targets using terrain recognition software.

Another variable to keep in mind is that the Shahed-129 was first released in 2012. That's the better part of a decade

The following picture is from the following website

kaman.jpg

11111.png

Its certainly fake, UAV Orion very similar to Shaheed 129 can carry up to 250 kg

Sadid bomb being its common armament, weights maximum 50 kg , probably even less, So, overall regular ordonance weight is up to 2oo kg

Attachments

• kaman.jpg
    kaman.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The following excerpt is from the following WIKIPEDIA website

"Though the Shahed 129 airframe is likely capable of its claimed 1700 km combat range, it relies on a ground control station, which Iranian state media say is limited to a 200 km datalink.[12] Independent analysts are more positive, saying the effective range is likely 300–400 km, but are clear that the drone's reliance on a ground station severely circumscribes its effective range.[3] Other experts say the Shahed 129's datalink could likely not reach even 200 km.[16] The drone can use an autopilot system, similar to that used on the Karrar UAV, to follow predefined way-points beyond"

Basically without satellite guidance, simply relying on radio communication (ground control stations / line of sight radio transmission), the Shahed-129 likely has a range of 200-400 KM. Keep in mind, some western pundits/analysts doubt that the Shahed-129 can even fly 200 km.

According to Iran, the new variant of the Shahed-129 does utilizes satellite communication, likely Russian or Chinese I'm guessing ? Aside from that, pre-programming a mission, the Shahed-129 can strike a target using terrain matching software and return to its base. However utilizing terrain matching software would require distinguishable / recognizable terrain. For example it would not work flying over a desert.

Anyways in my opinion, there are always western pundits who will be skeptical about Iran's capabilities, however the Aramco strikes, among others, prove that Iran's drones are indeed capable and lethal.

Last edited:
It could be a display model / prototype since Iran usually shows off its drones flying and in action.

Like I said, the Shahed-129 has a ferry range of 3400 KM, 1700 KM with its full payload.

The Kaman-22 seems to carry more weapons, have a heavier payload than the Shahed-129. Therefore I'm assuming that the Kaman-22's stated 3000 KM range is it's ferry range without any payload.

With a full payload the Kaman-22 likely has a range of approx 1000 KM give or take. Depending on the mission, the Kaman-22 could carry less of a payload and fly further.

Realistically though, for most missions, Iran's drones probably won't even go close to their full range, especially considering the fact that many of Iran's UAV's use line of sight radio frequencies for communication.

However Iran has stated that the new Shahed-129 uses satellite communication (most likely Chinese or Russian). Iranian drones can also be pre-programmed to hit specific targets using terrain recognition software.

Another variable to keep in mind is that the Shahed-129 was first released in 2012. That's the better part of a decade

View attachment 719825

View attachment 719826
Ferry range vs combat range is not empty vs full load,.....combat range=combat radius,1700+1700=3400...when you send aircraft you want it come back...3400 is max range ,if you look any aircraft you will see same...combat range 1/2 max range...ferry range is max range aircraft can fly and range for aircrafts is always declared with full load or in some cases near full load(80%). So if aircraft has 3700km max range than combat range is 1/2 of that,or 1700km...somewhere you will find it labeled as combat range,somewhere as combat radius

Last edited:
ایران مصاحبه مدیرعامل مهدی انصاری فر شرکت فرابرد پهپاد / شرکت تولید کننده پهپاد
Iran interview with Mehdi Ansarifar Managing Director of Farabord UAV Company / Manufacturing civilian UAV

ایران مصاحبه مدیرعامل مهدی انصاری فر شرکت فرابرد پهپاد / شرکت تولید کننده پهپاد
Iran interview with Mehdi Ansarifar Managing Director of Farabord UAV Company / Manufacturing civilian UAV

That interview has so many important points that go beyond mere drones. The insight of that tell us a lot about the problems internally and the bad mind set of some within...

Thanks for clarifying. So the Kaman-22 is supposed to be able to travel 3000 km all together, meaning 1500 km each way, with a full payload ? That would be pretty impressive in my opinion, especially considering its payload.

I mean the Shahed-129 was rated at 3400 km with a significantly smaller payload. However keep in mind the Shahed came out in 2012 and for most missions Iran will not require its drones to fly that far. 1000 km or less each way will usually suffice.

I'm honestly curious about the newer Iranian drones which are supposed to be using satellite communication. I'm wondering whether they use Russian or Chinese satellites for guidance, or do they use American satellites intermittently to get a rough idea of their location ? Terrain recognition software is also a great option as well, especially as a backup method for satellite guided drones, just incase the signal cuts out.

The only issue is that terrain software won't recognize any landmarks over deserts. Pre-programming a drone to conduct a mission and fly back to base is another good option when direct communication is impossible

Ferry range vs combat range is not empty vs full load,.....combat range=combat radius,1700+1700=3400...when you send aircraft you want it come back...3400 is max range ,if you look any aircraft you will see same...combat range 1/2 max range...ferry range is max range aircraft can fly and range for aircrafts is always declared with full load or in some cases near full load(80%). So if aircraft has 3700km max range than combat range is 1/2 of that,or 1700km...somewhere you will find it labeled as combat range,somewhere as combat radius

Last edited:
I`ve finally managed to figure out something thats always puzzled me about the very first incarnation of the drone that would eventually evolve into the kaman 12,
In the earliest pics of the drone it has no engine and where you would normally expect to mount one right at the rear of the airframe,it instead had a rounded boat tail section fitted,in addition just in front of that area right on top of the fuselage were these 2 rather curious vertical spoilers sticking out but serving no apparent purpose.........until I came across this pic and it all suddenly made sense,those vertical spoilers were in fact the mounts for a micro jet engine

PSD_011_PAHPAD_HA1.jpg

K12-Early-Hstory.jpg

Last edited:
Now heres a rather cool pic,its a mohajer-2m fitted with wheeled landing gear just like the very first original mohajer 1 that started it all waaay back in the mid 80s.
5847241_167.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom