What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

the biggest question is that can we transform 3rd khordad from truck to boat?
1398033111163426917698934.jpg

1590763612_953791_1590763494_4140361399030812520381820499584.jpg

4d2018d76e4890f2b7fa392833f4cc40.jpg
well the recent drill demonstrated that 3rd khordad can fire in sea condition and while ships are moving. I guess it can solve many issues regarding the possibility of integration of two systems.

It's better to just build a new frigate with VLS capability. Just one frigate with 32 Sayyed-2/3 stationed near the strait of Hormuz could block entry to the Persian Gulf

It's better to just build a new frigate with VLS capability. Just one frigate with 32 Sayyed-2/3 stationed near the strait of Hormuz could block entry to the Persian Gulf

That frigate wouldn’t last a second. You think Iran is only country that can mass fire anti ship missiles?

Hardly any ship can protect itself against a salvo of missiles CMs.

Also Iran is already building VLS ships.

Because the main point of this idea is to have small speed boats that can fire surface to air missiles. And these fast boats should be cheap and light to be produced in large numbers.
And what would happen if the shore radars are destroyed?

Then the boats will be useless but if our radar network in that area gets destroyed then our missile boats won't be the only useless things we will have. But as long as we can protect our shore radars, these small cheap boats will pose a threat to your airborne assets in that area and can keep them at a safe distance from our important infrastructures.

Iran literally just tested its new generation CMs. Iran now also operates CMs that are fire and forget and do no rely on shore based radars as they have their own active radar homing seeker. So all the speedboats have to do is get close enough visual range

Iran literally just tested its new generation CMs. Iran now also operates CMs that are fire and forget and do no rely on shore based radars as they have their own active radar homing seeker. So all the speedboats have to do is get close enough visual range
But what about target acquisition?

But what about target acquisition?

If you are 5KM away from target why would you need target acquisition? It’s the same way HZ targeted the Israeli warship in 2006. Unless you think HZ had a nice radar station lol.

After firing towards the target, Seeker will turn on and lock on to the ship.

It is possible it locks on wrong ship. But that is risk you take during war.

If you are 5KM away from target why would you need target acquisition? It’s the same way HZ targeted the Israeli warship in 2006. Unless you think HZ had a nice radar station lol.

After firing towards the target, Seeker will turn on and lock on to the ship.

It is possible it locks on wrong ship. But that is risk you take during war.
But we are not talking about a system that is 5 km away from its target.

And what do you mean by it will turn on and lock on to the ship? Are we still talking about SAMs?

The main reason we are focusing on this Surface To Air Missiles (SAMs) on military speed boats is to increase the survivability factor. Ask yourself, what is a more survivable layout, 32 SAMs on a single large frigate, or 32 SAMs spread out on 32 speed boats?

There is no need to rely just on the shore radars. Iran could essentially create a sea born Sevome Khordad battery like system where a boat that carriers the radar can feed information to other boats. These systems could also gain data from shore and could potentially work independently in a passive mode. We are seeing Taer-2 missile with IR seekers and this combined with a electro-optic tracker could deliver these passive systems.

As for these "what if" scenarios regarding radars being destroyed. Iran has a large number of radar systems, many of which are mobile. For your scenario to come to pass, you first have to try and destroy them. Well, good luck with that.

Anyway I believe that Iran's BM arsenal is the main foundation whereupon the rest of the defense is built upon. Without BM's the rest of the weaponry will be defeated much easier. A2/AD through first and foremost by the BM arsenal is key to a possible victory. There would be no use for small boats carrying big SAM's in a wolfpack when there is no enemy aerial threat anymore within a 2000km radius.

I would rather invest in long range and super long range SAM's (Bavar/sadid-630?/fateh based sam) as an extra backstop for the main power: BM's

Interesting livestream about missile defense:

If you take out enemy's recon sattelites (qased+salman ASAT), destroy their airbases in a 2000km radius and able to target carriers within 2000km, you can do just fine with static and semi-static land based ADS.

Last edited:
there is no enemy aerial threat anymore within a 2000km radius.

I hope I misunderstood you, but do you seriously think that there is no enemy aerial threat within a 2000 kilometer distance of Iran at the moment? What about the Eisenhower CSG? And future carrier groups that the US can send to our region?

Iranian speed boats can carry 2x cruise missiles. What makes you think they could not carry a Taer-2 sized surface to air missile?
the fact that those cruise missiles are short range 2-2.5m long missile while Taer-2 is about 5m

I hope I misunderstood you, but do you seriously think that there is no enemy aerial threat within a 2000 kilometer distance of Iran at the moment? What about the Eisenhower CSG? And future carrier groups that the US can send to our region?

I'm talking about a hypothetical all-gloves-are-of warscenario

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom