What's new

Iranian made Cobra

I am sure it looks better than it performs but that's just a hunch.

Well, that's what I mean I guess. The weapons suite looks cobra-like but no one really knows how it performs. No detail on the power plant or much else either.

I don't mean this as a put down on Iranian technology. But then again, you guys have a town that can replicate ANY firearm, right?

Not to say that copying an aircraft is as easy as copying a firearm, but how good is that minigun I see on the Iranian "cobra"?

I once bought a Beretta Brigadier copy made in Egypt by Helwan.It was a military issue model. I cleaned it up out of it's packaging, oiled it, etc. and got it shoot ready.

Honestly, it sucked on the range. The mechanisms were rough, the slide stuck sometimes, and sometimes it would not eject a spent shell properly, and the trigger was heavy and rough.

I returned it to the dealer and ended up getting the Ruger instead. The dealer agreed he usually ended up sending a good chunk of them back.

The weapons suite looks cobra-like but no one really knows how it performs. No detail on the power plant or much else either.

That is enough for me to know. I wouldn't make any further statements about a gun that was imported from an Arab country and compare it to the mini gun of the Iranian Cobra. It doesn't do any justice.

Last edited:
those lke original ones i thinkl PA should do the same not with cobras but with apaches joint venture with china which mastered every weapon which USA makes

HESA in Iran is to aviation what HIT is in Pakistan to Armored Vehicles. HESA was created in the early 70's during Shah's time in collaboration with Bell Helicopter of USA. Bell under a transfer of technology deal transferred quite bit of technical know-how and training to the Iranians on manufacture of helicopters including the Cobra platform which at the time was newly enjoying its success after the end of the Vietnam war. When the Iran-US relations turned sour, HESA was dormant for quite a few years until about 12 years ago when it was given the mandate by the Iranian Government to develop passenger & attack helicopter based on the US knowledge in the early and late 70's. The COBRA that you see above is more of a prototype then an actually operational platform. HESA's other achievements are developing passenger helicopters (Bell design) and IRAN 140 (AN-140) for its regional requirements. Pakistan CANNOT purchase the said (non-licensed production) COBRA helicopters or even its spares from Iran at the risk of loosing the logistical support being provided to it directly from the USA and Bell Helicopters.

Pakistani and Iranian cobra are different models.
Pakistan operates F models (land model)
Iran operates J models(sea/marine version)

The moot question is what about the engine and other power trains.

Where are they sourcing the gears, bearings and other super precision items from. Know for a fact that Iran does not have the necessary infrastructure for most of these items.

The main attack helicopter of the Iranian Army is the AH-1 SuperCobra. The number of AH-1J's in service is unknown, but 202 AH-1J's were delivered before the Islamic Revolution. Iran also operates an unknown number of Panha which is an unlicensed, locally-made upgrade of AH-1J.
Islamic Republic of Iran Army: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

The Panha 2091 is an Iranian overhaul and upgrade of the Bell AH-1J Sea Cobra light-attack helicopters purchased before the 1979 Islamic Revolution. The overhaul and upgrade program is known as project number 2091 of the Iranian Helicopter Support and Renewal Company (Panha).
Panha 2091: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

Panha hovers between repair and manufacturing

27 August 2001

By KIAN MOKHTARI, JDW Correspondent, Tehran

Amir Nasser Akhavan, managing director of Iran's primary helicopter company Panha, has denied that the company is manufacturing helicopters, saying it is only overhauling and upgrading the country's large US-built fleet. However, there are indications the company may be building new helicopters from components sourced internationally.

The Iranian Helicopter Support and Renewal Company, known as Panha, announced in 1998 that it had entered full indigenous production of the Shabaviz (Owl) 2-75 utility helicopter, which appears to be based on the Agusta-Bell 205, and the model 2061, which appears to be based on the Bell 206 JetRanger. The attack helicopter project 2091, believed to be a copy of the Cobra AH-1, has yet to make its public debut.

In an interview in Tehran, Akhavan contradicted press reports and said Panha's role was as a helicopter support infrastructure rather than a helicopter manufacturer. He said the company has been the main force in keeping Iran's substantial US-built fleet of helicopters active despite almost 23 years of sanctions. Indeed, the company's design and manufacturing skills are limited, forcing it to buy turbines and avionics on the international market.

"The main body of our efforts have been concentrated in overhaul and repair of the US-built fleet acquired prior to the [1979] Islamic revolution and our company is fundamentally geared to such needs," Akhavan said. "There are no design projects for the foreseeable future as there is no design team employed by Panha to undertake such endeavours [because] for the time being there is no need for such an effort. We do not discount the fact that the requirement might arise in the future and we will address such a problem when it is deemed necessary."

Iran's fleet of helicopters is primarily of 1970s vintage and there is no shortage of spares for such aircraft around the world. Panha was reported to have upgraded the avionics on many Iranian helicopters, incorporating new radios and global positioning systems.

There is no reliable information suggesting the origin of upgrade packages made available to Iran. However, there is a broad international trade in aerospace components and avionics. The Islamic Republic of Iran Army Aviation AH-1J Cobra attack helicopters were reported to be equipped with new cockpit armoured panels, new avionics and cockpit design in 2000. It remains to be seen how much of these latest claims prove to be of substance.
Panha hovers between repair and manufacturing - Jane's Air Forces News

See also http://www.defence.pk/forums/defenc...4-iranian-panha-2091-upgrades.html#post236924

Can those cobras fly??? I doubt they do and another Mullah's propaganda and waste of public money where Inflation is running 25% for the last 20 years. I was in Khomeni airport for the whole day and I saw only two plane landed and took to the air. I had to rent a car to travel 1000 miles to go to Mashaad because Iranians dont have enough civilian planes to operate in domestic and international flights. Those Mullahs needs to build civilian planes instead of wasting money in so called Cobras.

Can those cobras fly??? I doubt they do and another Mullah's propaganda and waste of public money where Inflation is running 25% for the last 20 years. I was in Khomeni airport for the whole day and I saw only two plane landed and took to the air. I had to rent a car to travel 1000 miles to go to Mashaad because Iranians dont have enough civilian planes to operate in domestic and international flights. Those Mullahs needs to build civilian planes instead of wasting money in so called Cobras.

Fast forward to 2:40 and stop making yourself sound like a clown.

Last edited by a moderator:

It is probably more likely that the Cobra's can fly than the civilian planes: with limited resources available, national security usually takes precedence over civilian conveniences.

Back
Top Bottom