What's new

Interesting ideas to minimize poverty

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am dedicating this thread to ideas which are implementable to reduce poverty...Ideas other than taxes and welfare systems or anything to do with the government more like ideas which can be implemented by the people itself ...I know about zakat but very few pay it so other ideas like this one example caught my eye can be posted and discussed here:

"We enter a little coffeehouse with a friend of mine and give our order. While we’re approaching our table two people come in and they go to the counter:

‘Five coffees, please. Two of them for us and three suspended’ They pay for their order, take the two and leave.

I ask my friend: “What are those ‘suspended’ coffees?”
My friend: “Wait for it and you will see.”

Some more people enter. Two girls ask for one coffee each, pay and go. The next order was for seven coffees and it was made by three lawyers - three for them and four ‘suspended’. While I still wonder what’s the deal with those ‘suspended’ coffees I enjoy the sunny weather and the beautiful view towards the square in front of the café. Suddenly a man dressed in shabby clothes who looks like a beggar comes in through the door and kindly asks
‘Do you have any suspended coffee?’

It’s simple - people pay in advance for a coffee meant for someone who can not afford a warm beverage. The tradition with the suspended coffees started in Naples, but it has spread all over the world and in some places you can order not only a suspended coffee, but also a sandwich or a whole meal.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have such cafés or even grocery stores in every town where the less fortunate will find hope and support? If you own a business why don’t you offer it to your clients… I am sure many of them will like it.

[url="http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20130403-413200.html"]'Chope' food for the needy[/URL]

SINGAPORE - A new revolution is growing slowly in Singapore - and it's for a good cause.

A Facebook page called "CHOPE FOOD for the NEEDY - 'Suspended Food Revolution' to Pay It Forward" is encouraging citizens to help the needy have food to eat.

The steps are simple: Go to your favourite hawker, pre-pay for packet/s of food, and ask the hawker to give these out to needy people when they see them.

Over 1,500 people have liked the page so far.

A post by the administrator of the page says, "The beauty of this system is there is in effect no need to get awareness out to the needy. We are harnessing the supply side of things, not the demand side - We are delegating the part of finding needy people to the hawkers who will have an idea of who's needy in their area."

The concept likely came about from a meme, or an Internet trend, going around on Facebook and other social media on 'suspended coffee'.

As the meme goes, a person observed two people ordering 5 coffees - two for themselves, and three suspended. A few moments later, a man dressed shabbily comes in, asks for the suspended coffee, and gets it.

According to an AFP report, the tradition was born in the cafes of Italy's southern city of Naples and is known as "caffe soppreso", which literally means suspended coffee.

In Singapore, while some have also expressed doubts, about the practice, some people have already started doing it.

At least two people have shared their experience in approaching a hawker about it, and they have said the hawkers approached have been receptive to the idea.

A member of the page, Bobby Liu, commented: "While we'd like to have our contribution going to the right channel, we can't prevent or worry about it too much. Once it's given, it's gone out. We can only hope for altruism in people. This is paying forward...performing a good deed not for returns but hoping this good deed will inspire others to do likewise."

free food wont reduce poverty...........
Maybe not in South Asia.... :tsk: where people are not honest enough to make this happen....

basically all these ideas are about helping poor... but reducing poverty is a different work field.. and this ca only be reduced by training the poor in required skills and creating an environment where they can use it.. another important thing is increasing awareness in them.. skilled jobs/works can only reduce poverty.

i think....here(S.A.) if population is controlled poverty will steadily decrease.....
I dont believe population control will reduce poverty...Europe has controlled its population yet we have poor people (soem druggies) who beg around even with the welfare system...

Maybe I should have called the thread something like "contributions of society to aid the needy"

basically all these ideas are about helping poor... but reducing poverty is a different work field.. and this ca only be reduced by training the poor in required skills and creating an environment where they can use it.. another important thing is increasing awareness in them.. skilled jobs/works can only reduce poverty.
Yes, but even if you train the poor they wont be earning at once, will take a while before they get to the earning position...

My say was more on what can society do to help provide food is the least one can do....

I like the idea not feaseble in sub continent only good for western country.
Let me give an example if consider bombay and try to implement this wonderful idea it will only make matter worst cause we have 10 -12% fake poor people or professional beggars they will get free meal and save more money for them and will also encourage other.

Make sure that youth is working. Make it rule that anyone who reaches 17 year age can't just do nothing and live on parents money. Its such a shame that we have so much young people in our country and mostly they are living dependent upon others. Education is part of life but that's not the only thing in life. People should work while they are studying to get used to the reality of life. This will definitely need some steps from GOVT like setting up some Factories or work sources for young people who don't have any particular skill at that time. Its hard for a single person to make much money to improve the standards of complete family where some time you will see some of dependent people are young adults!

I have a idea... government is providing a lot of housing and education support to poors.. which can be used to reduce the poverty.. right now we let any worker work their and build the house... so he is not concerned about its quality and then we give it away to another poor who had not earned it so don't care for it and try to trade it for few money which he spends in all uneconomic things...

government should hire only those poor whom it is going to allot the house to build it... this way they will not only have a attachment with it but also feels proud in it and will work harder to stay with it and improve their life... this can be used as motivator rather then facilitator... same can be done in education.

Make sure that youth is working. Make it rule that anyone who reaches 17 year age can't just do nothing and live on parents money. Its such a shame that we have so much young people in our country and mostly they are living dependent upon others. Education is part of life but that's not the only thing in life. People should work while they are studying to get used to the reality of life. This will definitely need some steps from GOVT like setting up some Factories or work sources for young people who don't have any particular skill at that time. Its hard for a single person to make much money to improve the standards of complete family where some time you will see some of dependent people are young adults!
Good idea...but 1st we should work of free education and eradicate this looking down attitude!

i remember some of my British aunties were telling their children after O-Levels were working in a cafe or as a slaes girl in shops and other "paindu" aunties were like hawwww....

What is this hawwww attitude when the earning is halal?

Another thing I do not understand is women sitting at home esp those who can stitch, knit or do embroidery works....these women should contribute too...

I remember here in EU I bought a pair of home- knitted shoes for the home costing about 30 Euros...its just the mentality that factory stuff or branded stuff is always good or better than home made while here in Europe home made stuff are more expensive and I remember we had bought some handicraft from Pakistan and had sold it for almost twice its worth because people are willing to pay for hand made stuff as the effort is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom