What's new

Intel- i5-540M vs i7-720QM

The biggest difference between the two is that the I7 utilizes Triple Channel memory vs the I5 which is the more conventional dual channel. Upon using the two you will see a big difference in loads times and other application usage. Go with the I7

The biggest difference between the two is that the I7 utilizes Triple Channel memory vs the I5 which is the more conventional dual channel. Upon using the two you will see a big difference in loads times and other application usage. Go with the I7

Sir,

i 7 920 is very expensive.. Maximum I can buy is i 720qm.. so i wanted to no the difference bw i 5 540 m and 720 qm.. Please advise...

540M is 32nm, only 35W TDP, it will run cooler and power saver. Has 2 cores 4 threads, so it will behave like Quad core CPU. 720QM consumes more power and 45nm based will result in more heat. It faster in allmost every task. If you are power user (encoding + 3d work + gaming) go with 720QM, otherwise 540M makes more sense for general multimedia and gaming usage, you will be bottlenecked by GPU anyways.

IMHO seriously consider Core i3 also and invest saved money in more memory (ideally 4GB+) and SSD if possible, it will make your system fresh and snappy.

Sir,

i 7 920 is very expensive.. Maximum I can buy is i 720qm.. so i wanted to no the difference bw i 5 540 m and 720 qm.. Please advise...

please tell me first what you will use your computer for, only then i can recommend the best cpu to you.

We Are Soldiers...

From the point of view of pocket, performance and future i would recommend core I7 720qm.

Keep in mind Intel is releasing processors so fast you won't be able to keep pace with buying and selling and eventually you'll stress your pocket.
Buy it once for atleast next 1.5 Years before jumping to another processor and possibly motherboard.

We Are Soldiers...

From the point of view of pocket, performance and future i would recommend core I7 720qm.

Keep in mind Intel is releasing processors so fast you won't be able to keep pace with buying and selling and eventually you'll stress your pocket.
Buy it once for atleast next 1.5 Years before jumping to another processor and possibly motherboard.[

I RECENTLY BUILD UP A RIG HEARS IT [ from lamington road mumbai]

amd phenom x4 965 + Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H its the [vfm in class]

2*2 gb ddr3 ram g skill

HD5850 1GB

1b hdd [western digital]

Corsair VX550 psu

CoolerMaster CM690

LG, Sony DVD Writer

22 inch benq lcd

Logitech Media Keyboard

Logitech MX518

processors these days wont make much of a diffrence unless if your are into heavy application which requires all four cores... for gaming you need a good gpu... go for amd it has cheaper options for both mobo and processor...

I am gonna guess that the i7 is only slightly more expensive than the i5. If that is indeed true, i7 would be a better idea as it's gonna have more cores which generally results in a computer that runs smoother and faster. Also better for the future.

I am gonna guess that the i7 is only slightly more expensive than the i5. If that is indeed true, i7 would be a better idea as it's gonna have more cores which generally results in a computer that runs smoother and faster. Also better for the future.

i5 750 cost about 10,000 over hear mumbai.
i7 950 costs about 15,000 hell lot of diffrence..

Go with the i5. The quadcore will give you a terrible battery life and has very limited performance advantage over the 540m in almost all scenarios. You can check their multiple test scores and you'll realize that there isn't even a significant advantage while you are robbed off precious battery life. The 720Qm is the lowest end i7 and an old one at that. Get the i5. (This coming from me for I have an i5-540m based notebook and an i7-720QM based notebook that i used and gifted to a family member and had spent weeks studying performance details before making the decision)

See the benchmarks:-

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-720QM-Notebook-Processor.23035.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-720QM-Notebook-Processor.23035.0.html

Check this for an old rivarly discussion http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273510-28-core-720qm-core-540m

Anyways, notebooks suck. Desktops FTW !

Last edited:

We are talking about a lower end i7 and a higher end i5. and we are talking about mobile performance processors.

^ You're probably right then. Didn't realize that since we're talking about laptops, battery life comes into play and i7 will use the battery pretty quickly. So yeah I guess i5 is a better choice. It's gonna have 4 logical cores anyway, so it will be like using quad-core. And Quad Cores are more than enough for probably another 3-5 years for the average or even above average user.

i would seriously recommend the I7, get it once and your good to go for atleast 3-4 years. The I5 is good but will lag heavier on bigger applications. Again it depends on what you plan to do with your laptop.

If you are not playing games and are not using heavy graphic programs go for i3. It will really save you a lot of money else go for i5 with atleast 4gb of ram. i5 is a pretty good processor you dont need i7.

Back
Top Bottom