What's new

Indonesia confirms to buy 4 Trimaran Patrol Craft

ANMDT

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands
Indonesia confirms acquistion of 4 trimaran as initial batch
Acquistion progress was suspended due to an alleged fire caught of ship during trials at the dock, claimed to be " suspended " for detailed investigation of incident. Project of hull covered by North Sea boats a sweden leaded company established in indonesia, Saab as major sub-contractor for Sub systems integration including armanement, radar , combat management system. Finally a decision cleared to buy 4 ships, might increase up to 16 as navy utilize 4 ships as test bed and seeking its performance in operational missions.

Indonesia confirms acquisition of four Klewang-class stealth patrol ships - IHS Jane's 360

Ship has trimaran configured hull , as center hull has curves to wave-piercing effect , stern supported with side hulls to expand deck area utilization . Uses compozite material in hull confirmed to be nano-composite. As known composite leaves least Radar Cross sectional area, ealy applied on Sweden's Visby class with reduction of 99+ percent lowered RCSA .Still inclined surfaces used on ship to cover metal objects with " mask " .

Driven by 4 waterjet , possible 2 booster , 2 for maneuver run by 2 engines. Thus having a high agility in seas without rudder application, and Small radius of continous turn .

Its widely discussed to use non-monohull platforms in combats due to their critisized survivability issues (early discussed on USA trimaran LCS ) ,so this will be one other application of non- monohull vessel in operations.

Last edited:
Indonesia confirms acquistion of 4 trimaran as initial batch
Acquistion progress was suspended due to an alleged fire caught of ship during trials at the dock, claimed to be " suspended " for detailed investigation of incident. Project of hull covered by North Sea boats a sweden leaded company established in indonesia, Saab as major sub-contractor for Sub systems integration including armanement, radar , combat management system. Finally a decision cleared to buy 4 ships, might increase up to 16 as navy utilize 4 ships as test bed and seeking its performance in operational missions.

Indonesia confirms acquisition of four Klewang-class stealth patrol ships - IHS Jane's 360

Ship has trimaran configured hull , as center hull has curves to wave-piercing effect , stern supported with side hulls to expand deck area utilization . Uses compozite material in hull confirmed to be nano-composite. As known composite leaves least Radar Cross sectional area, ealy applied on Sweden's Visby class with reduction of 99+ percent lowered RCSA .Still inclined surfaces used on ship to cover metal objects with " mask " .

Driven by 4 waterjet , possible 2 booster , 2 for maneuver run by 2 engines. Thus having a high agility in seas without rudder application, and Small radius of continous turn .

Its widely discussed to use non-monohull platforms in combats due to their critisized survivability issues (early discussed on USA trimaran LCS )
And what happens it has ?

i more prefer a conventional design instead for a small combat boat, but they must be installed with the most advanced systems available for them

i more prefer a conventional design instead for a small combat boat, but they must be installed with the most advanced systems available for them
it would be a good chance for indonesia to hold these ships in inventory, i dont see the intentions of navy in behind of this order, but basically it will give an advanced outlook for them . Also subsystems provided by SAAB with cutting edge ,seems to enough to secure an archipelago terrain like indonesia .
Lets see whether navy will give some more orders, i think they will check abilities of new babies
They are fuel efficient, super stealth but too expensive with money spent on design and production , IMO with the same money , 7-8 of conventional ship in aliminum or steel could be produced with same equipment.
:D

PN Exercises

Please avoid making more threads.

Yes, one more exercise just done by our navy in Egypt looks like our navy is operating in full momentum. The navy is becoming very capable day by day. The navy is also getting very advanced technology such as P-3C Orions, 2 Perry Class Ships, Spruance Class Destroyer, and etc.

This is a good news that our country is now focussing on navy to make PN one capable navy in the world.
Dam I wanted to ask about weapons

it would be a good chance for indonesia to hold these ships in inventory, i dont see the intentions of navy in behind of this order, but basically it will give an advanced outlook for them . Also subsystems provided by SAAB with cutting edge ,seems to enough to secure an archipelago terrain like indonesia .
Lets see whether navy will give some more orders, i think they will check abilities of new babies
They are fuel efficient, super stealth but too expensive with money spent on design and production , IMO with the same money , 7-8 of conventional ship in aliminum or steel could be produced with same equipment.

it would be good to joint in international exercise like RIMPAC he, it must be hailed as LCS little brother :D

Correct me if i'm wrong, price wise (hull only without combat management system) AFAIK it's only slightly bit more expensive than other Indonesian patrol ship with similar length.

Correct me if i'm wrong, price wise (hull only without combat management system) AFAIK it's only slightly bit more expensive than other Indonesian patrol ship with similar length.
i am not sure about this,but a shorter patrol craft would cover the same abilities with a trimaran , so comparison is done with taking change in length into account .
Beside this, composite itself an expensive compound , results more waste in production ( depends company's expertize ),waste steel can be sold ,but composites not. Also production of composite hulls needs expertized staff in company (even basic staff needs to be senior level and has almost double wage of a similar steel worker with same job definition) , needs more intense engineering and R&D . Ok 7-8 or ships were so extraggated number, 5.5 ships sounds nice :)
I think it will result more than "slightly " increase.
Also monohulls can be maintained easier (in means of hull compotents ) but its composite,so this factor can be neglected.

@madokafc , will we see potential indonesian systems on the vessel? It seems all to be done by SAAB

Last edited:
i am not sure about this,but a shorter patrol craft would cover the same abilities with a trimaran , so comparison is done with taking change in length into account .
Beside this, composite itself an expensive compound , results more waste in production ( depends company's expertize ),waste steel can be sold ,but composites not. Also production of composite hulls needs expertized staff in company (even basic staff needs to be senior level and has almost double wage of a similar steel worker with same job definition) , needs more intense engineering and R&D . Ok 7-8 or ships were so extraggated number, 5.5 ships sounds nice :)
I think it will result more than "slightly " increase.
Also monohulls can be maintained easier (in means of hull compotents ) but its composite,so this factor can be neglected.

@madokafc , will we see potential indonesian systems on the vessel? It seems all to be done by SAAB

Indonesian own made systems for CMS and other electronics system you mean? doesn't know a lot about it. But as far as i know Indonesia have a rules every weapons platform Indonesian armed forces bought from foreign companies they must hold local contents at least 40 percent from the total prices, maybe they will cooperate with LEN industries (the only company in Indonesia who can made CMS for Naval ships) and several local vendor to passes the rules.

Even for the Leo2 we bought they got pass the rules by giving Transfer of technologies for local production of ammunition

Back
Top Bottom