BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
By Richard Yetsenga
February 7, 2023 17:00 JST

1675783376228.png

Delhi-Meerut Expressway

Richard Yetsenga is chief economist and head of research at ANZ Banking Group in Sydney.

India surpassed the U.K. as the world's fifth-largest economy last year and is expected to surpass China as the most populous country in 2023. The subcontinental giant will also host this year's Group of 20 summit.

For some, these observations demonstrate that India is emerging as an economy of genuine scale. For others, they camouflage the country's struggle to get the basics right.

The reality is more nuanced.

It is clear that India has been rising for some time. Its share of world gross domestic product has more than tripled since 1992. That year, the GDP of the U.S. was 18 times larger than India's. Today the multiple is down to seven.

India's GDP growth eclipsed China's in 2021 and 2022 and is likely to do so again in both 2023 and 2024. In fact, relative demographic trends suggest that future years when China's growth exceeds India's are likely to be the exception rather than the norm.

While former chief government economic adviser Arvind Subramanian said in a recent co-authored article, "There is no inevitability ... from the decline of China to the rise of India," that is only partly true.

China is still a very large economy recording reasonable GDP growth, even if slower than the past. But as the end of China's economic exceptionalism has become clearer, the search for alternatives has accelerated, as the data makes clear.

Portfolio capital outflows from China were more than four times larger than from India last year. Foreign companies' net payments for direct investment into China fell to the lowest level since 2016, while FDI into India remained strong during the pandemic.

The value of cross-border merger and acquisition deals declined last year in almost all Asia-Pacific countries from a year before except in India where transactions reached a record level.

Then consider the World Bank's Doing Business survey. China did not rank higher than 80th place in the survey until 2017 when its GDP per capita was $8,800. In 2018, India was already within the top 80 with a GDP per capita of only $2,000. In the World Bank's most recent survey, the two nations were only six places apart.

The pandemic added a sharp decline in birthrate to China's already stark demographic challenges. The country's working-age population peaked in 2014. In India, the pandemic has done little structural demographic damage. If anything, the reverse has occurred.

The COVID-19 era shifted global working patterns in ways India is uniquely placed to capture through its scale, technology capacity and English-speaking capability.

The pandemic also exacerbated geopolitical fault lines, leaving India's nonalignment less cemented. India is in something of a geopolitical sweet spot, courted by the Quad, China and others.

After a decade without signing a trade agreement with any large economy, India signed new pacts with the United Arab Emirates and Australia in 2022, and one with the U.K. is likely in the first half of 2023.

The COVID period also saw India begin improvements to its physical infrastructure to narrow the gap with what the International Monetary Fund labeled "world-class public digital infrastructure."

The shift in India's cities is stark. Infrastructure now represents 23% of total spending at the state government level, the highest in a decade.

Central government spending on infrastructure is at an all-time high of 19%. Last week's new national budget doubled down on the capital investment agenda by including a one-third increase in planned spending, bringing the allocation up to 4% of GDP.

1675783711082.jpg

A bridge construction site in Kolkata in 2022: The shift in India's cities is stark. © Reuters

The new budget is marked by an improvement in the overall quality of spending. The record capital investment allocation will have a high multiplier effect on growth and bolster private investment.

For India, progress on clearing nonperforming loans during the pandemic is likely to improve the provision of credit to the economy. Nonperforming loans as a share of total bank loans peaked at 11.2% in 2017, a worrying level, but have since declined to 5%, with further declines likely.

Hindsight is a wonderful forecaster. China's performance over the last two decades is now treated as transparently predictable, when it was anything but at the time.
I recall thumbing through Joe Studwell's book, "The China Dream: The Quest for the Last Great Untapped Market on Earth," two decades ago and wondering how seriously to take it. Many expected China to be the world's largest economy by now, yet it is not clear that will happen anytime soon. Others have spent plenty of time predicting China's collapse.

There also seems to be implied criticism of India's development because it is charting its own path.

But economic development has no standard recipe. The rise of the Asian Tigers -- Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea -- was unique. China's rise has been unique.

So, too, will be India's. Textbooks have to be rewritten after each such rise and likely will be again as India's progresses.
No doubt India has an unenviable to-do list. But would we not expect an economy with a GDP per capita of $2,500, to have plenty to do?

At this stage of development, the list should be long. Mark Mobius's classic, "Mobius On Emerging Markets," reminds us that emerging economies are the epitome of the risk-reward trade off. One does not exist without the other.

The to-dos are what give the upside.

@Skull and Bones @Raj-Hindustani @VkdIndian @Hellfire2006 @Paitoo @datafreak @Varunastra @SeaMermaid @INDIAPOSITIVE @koolzberg @MirageBlue
@kmc_chacko @Sam6536

India growth prospects strongest among emerging market economies: S&P
1675832650004.png

India has the strongest growth prospects among emerging market economies and the fiscal 2024 budget will support productivity and higher growth which will be the bulwark for the economy amid the
global downturn, according to S&P.

The international ratings firm expects India to grow 6% on a real basis in FY24.

"In the emerging market economies universe, India has the strongest growth prospects and that's true in the current fiscal year and we believe that is going to be true in the next year and 3-4 years too," S&P's sovereign analyst Andrew Wood told ET in an interview.

He said the virtuous cycle of investment would support consumption and the country would orient itself to developments such as supply chain diversification and become an important destination for foreign direct investment as well. On the fiscal side, Wood said the ratings firm's perspective was that the country's fiscal buffers were limited.

The Centre is working on a fiscal deficit of 5.9% of gross domestic product in the upcoming year, and something above 9% at the general government level. The government's debt stock is hovering around 85% of GDP on a net basis.

"This is certainly at an elevated level. It also contributes to a higher interest burden that we have calculated at 27% of the government's revenues," he said. "What it means is that the fiscal profile or debt profile will remain on the weaker side," he said, pointing out that high interest burden leads to credit weakness for sovereign ratings.

The FY24 budget presents a modest or gradual fiscal consolidation and strengthens the government's capex programme and, overall, presents a few surprises for the ratings firm, Wood said.

"From that perspective, we see the quality of the expenditure programme of the government improving on a marginal basis each year, but fiscal consolidation is modest or gradual," he said.

From the agency's perspective, expectations for the fiscal deficit for the next few years and debt dynamics haven't changed in the context of this budget, he said.

India growth prospects strongest among emerging market economies: S&P
View attachment 915493

India has the strongest growth prospects among emerging market economies and the fiscal 2024 budget will support productivity and higher growth which will be the bulwark for the economy amid the
global downturn, according to S&P.

The international ratings firm expects India to grow 6% on a real basis in FY24.

"In the emerging market economies universe, India has the strongest growth prospects and that's true in the current fiscal year and we believe that is going to be true in the next year and 3-4 years too," S&P's sovereign analyst Andrew Wood told ET in an interview.

He said the virtuous cycle of investment would support consumption and the country would orient itself to developments such as supply chain diversification and become an important destination for foreign direct investment as well. On the fiscal side, Wood said the ratings firm's perspective was that the country's fiscal buffers were limited.

The Centre is working on a fiscal deficit of 5.9% of gross domestic product in the upcoming year, and something above 9% at the general government level. The government's debt stock is hovering around 85% of GDP on a net basis.

"This is certainly at an elevated level. It also contributes to a higher interest burden that we have calculated at 27% of the government's revenues," he said. "What it means is that the fiscal profile or debt profile will remain on the weaker side," he said, pointing out that high interest burden leads to credit weakness for sovereign ratings.

The FY24 budget presents a modest or gradual fiscal consolidation and strengthens the government's capex programme and, overall, presents a few surprises for the ratings firm, Wood said.

"From that perspective, we see the quality of the expenditure programme of the government improving on a marginal basis each year, but fiscal consolidation is modest or gradual," he said.

From the agency's perspective, expectations for the fiscal deficit for the next few years and debt dynamics haven't changed in the context of this budget, he said.

I guess it's clear we have crossed some threshold for long term growth. People can feel it when they engage with India nowadays.

I guess it's clear we have crossed some threshold for long term growth. People can feel it when they engage with India nowadays.

It can all turn around quickly if the Indian National Congress with it's 4 dozen allies comes back to power. The Narendra Modi govt has a very strong focus on basics like education, toilets, schools, hospitals and both digital as well as real infrastructure and has pushed lobbyists and their corruption to the lowest it has ever been. Plus a very strong intent to go swadesi, with massive investments in manufacturing sector, without which it'll be impossible to give jobs to millions each year.

With the INC and their 90 IQ leader Rahul Gandhi, it'll be a corruption free for all once again with full appeasement politics coming to the fore. They and their allies like the SP, JD(S), TMC, NCP are all itching to get their hands on the big pie.

India needs 10 more years of mostly corruption free focus on economy, infrastructure and manufacturing jobs. After that it'll be hard even for buffoons like RaGa to unravel the growth.

Last edited:

It can all turn around quickly if the Indian National Congress with it's 4 dozen allies comes back to power. The Narendra Modi govt has a very strong focus on basics like education, toilets, schools, hospitals and both digital as well as real infrastructure and has pushed lobbyists and their corruption to the lowest it has ever been. Plus a very strong intent to go swadesi, with massive investments in manufacturing sector, without which it'll be impossible to give jobs to millions each year.

With the INC and their 90 IQ leader Rahul Gandhi, it'll be a corruption free for all once again with full appeasement politics coming to the fore. They and their allies like the SP, JD(S), TMC, NCP are all itching to get their hands on the big pie.

India needs 10 more years of mostly corruption free focus on economy, infrastructure and manufacturing jobs. After that it'll be hard even for buffoons like RaGa to unravel the growth.

Both INC and BJP will keep economy moving. I prefer Chandrababu Naidu because when he is in power, focus on growth will be absolute- no Ambani Adani, no reglegious nonsense.

Worse, the issue with BJP is that after Modi Yogi might become PM. That is an unmitigated disaster.

Both INC and BJP will keep economy moving. I prefer Chandrababu Naidu because when he is in power, focus on growth will be absolute- no Ambani Adani, no reglegious nonsense.

Worse, the issue with BJP is that after Modi Yogi might become PM. That is an unmitigated disaster.

Why disaster? Yogi has proved to be a boon for UP, he has revived a hopeless state

Why disaster? Yogi has proved to be a boon for UP, he has revived a hopeless state

Exactly. One only has to see what a turn-around there has been in UP to see what his capability is. UP and Bihar have been basket cases since independence pretty much. The economic engines of India were always elsewhere.

But if Yogi can harness the human potential in UP, bring law and order under control and focus on infra and massive job growth, then he has a valid claim to become the next PM.

Bihar under Nitish Kumar allied with Laloo Prasad Yadav's son is once again going to slide back. Pretty sure of that.

Exactly. One only has to see what a turn-around there has been in UP to see what his capability is. UP and Bihar have been basket cases since independence pretty much. The economic engines of India were always elsewhere.

But if Yogi can harness the human potential in UP, bring law and order under control and focus on infra and massive job growth, then he has a valid claim to become the next PM.

Bihar under Nitish Kumar allied with Laloo Prasad Yadav's son is once again going to slide back. Pretty sure of that.

When the base is low all growth looks big. If every farmer in UP got himself another cow I'm sure the GDP will double.
We don't need a PM who has taken a state from 50 to 100 but one that has tyaken the state from 5000 to 7000. We need a PM who can run India like a modern economy not an extension of the cow belt.

I think the next PM candidate must be from the south who have built cutting edge industries in technology, finance and industry. Rewarding people for coming form states that have large populations alone as their hall mark must stop.

When the base is low all growth looks big. If every farmer in UP got himself another cow I'm sure the GDP will double.
We don't need a PM who has taken a state from 50 to 100 but one that has tyaken the state from 5000 to 7000. We need a PM who can run India like a modern economy not an extension of the cow belt.

I think the next PM candidate must be from the south who have built cutting edge industries in technology, finance and industry. Rewarding people for coming form states that have large populations alone as their hall mark must stop.

Base is low? I believe UP is 3rd largest GDP in the country state-wise. They are planning to become 1 trillion economy by 2027 before Maharashtra, TN or Gujarat. Under Yogi UP now stands at 2nd in ease of doing business, they were outside of 20 earlier.

Base is low? I believe UP is 3rd largest GDP in the country state-wise. They are planning to become 1 trillion economy by 2027 before Maharashtra, TN or Gujarat. Under Yogi UP now stands at 2nd in ease of doing business, they were outside of 20 earlier.

it's piss poor and in the dumps. And yogi's exactly the kind of the guy the state should avoid. His idea of 'growth' is to use his political pally to get show pony projects to UP.

Oh Modi building bullet train- me want bullet train in UP. Tell me what use is bullet train when there is no industry there yet?

Oh Modi organizing Aro India, I want aero India in Lucknow.

Naidu did strong sector focuused growth in hyderabad, cometing with Karnataka and for decades the people have prospered. Along with that the population has also been controlled and across all human indices the state began to match the others in the south. That is the kind of PM we need, not a baldy who spends half his time rolling out cow adhaar.

it's piss poor and in the dumps. And yogi's exactly the kind of the guy the state should avoid. His idea of 'growth' is to use his political pally to get show pony projects to UP.

Oh Modi building bullet train- me want bullet train in UP. Tell me what use is bullet train when there is no industry there yet?

Oh Modi organizing Aro India, I want aero India in Lucknow.

Naidu did strong sector focuused growth in hyderabad, cometing with Karnataka and for decades the people have prospered. Along with that the population has also been controlled and across all human indices the state began to match the others in the south. That is the kind of PM we need, not a baldy who spends half his time rolling out cow adhaar.

You have some bias towards the man, either you are a muslim or a leftist, so I won't waste my time trying to convince you. But a state which was regarded as a drag on the country economy till five years back is transforming as the growth engine now I will surely give credit to the leadership. L

Rs 3-L cr investments in 4.5 years show Uttar Pradesh top choice for investors now

Yogi within the next five years, trying to increase per capita income of Uttar Pradesh to be more than per capita income of the country.

Will this help common man, Is this good enough for you?

You have some bias towards the man, either you are a muslim or a leftist, so I won't waste my time trying to convince you. But a state which was regarded as a drag on the country economy till five years back is transforming as the growth engine now I will surely give credit to the leadership. L

Rs 3-L cr investments in 4.5 years show Uttar Pradesh top choice for investors now

Yogi within the next five years, trying to increase per capita income of Uttar Pradesh to be more than per capita income of the country.

Will this help common man, Is this good enough for you?

What UP did in 4.5 years, karnata did in 1 year.

Karnataka captured almost 40% of the total foreign direct investments (FDIs) received by India during fiscal 2021-22. This year again, the State is set to garner a similar share of FDI and has been growing as an attractive destination.

Karnataka expecting over ₹5 lakh crore in investments​

Like I was saying the baldy trumpets big accomplishments when others are way ahead of him. Less talky. More doey.

Back
Top Bottom