India's Predator Drone Rustom II MALE UAS All Set For Winter Flight Debut

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
India's Rustom II UAS Set For Winter Flight Debut

rustom-2.jpg

Rustom II MALE UAS
Found this video on a Defexpo 2014 CD that I'd missed in the clutter, showing the Rustom II MALE UAS during low speed taxi trials and engine trials at Kolar, near Bangalore sometime in the September-December 2013 timeframe.The Rustom-II was to make its debut flight in February this year, but my sources now tell me a winter flight is more likely. Honeywell is on the programme to help refine the aerodynamics as well as advise the ADE on flight testing. Also, a hunt is still on to give the Rustom-II new diesel engines.

Source:- Livefist: India's Rustom II UAS Set For Winter Flight Debut

Comparing it to the predator is misleading. This drone does not carry any sort of weapons.

No UAV carry weapon right from the beginning. They will be integrated later on.
Which is why I said the comparison is misleading. Even then, it's unknown if this drone will even get weapons.

Which is why I said the comparison is misleading. Even then, it's unknown if this drone will even get weapons.

Comparison are made on specification. If it has the weapon integration as the specification than it will get it and not otherwise. It is very simple.

Comparing it to the predator is misleading. This drone does not carry any sort of weapons.

The American RQ-1 Predator is an obvious template for the Rustom program - It has been developed on the same lines - The RQ-1 itself was a unarmed UAV before it became a Predator UAC. In was in 2001 only - 6 years after it's first flight, after seeing the results of Predator reconnaissance in Afghanistan - its armed version development started.

Good luck but India lacks the tech to develop an armed UAV. Ambitious none the less.

Not really, since comparing it to the Predator only means that you compare it to another MALE drone. The Predator is not defined by the capability to use weapons, but is a surveillance drone in the first place! Some of the export users "only" use it for that role, since they were not approved for the weaponized role. So even if the titel is nonsense and only tries to make the Rustom sound to be something special, the comparision is not wrong at all.

Good luck but India lacks the tech to develop an armed UAV. Ambitious none the less.

We already have CLGM, which could be used as a laser guided weapon, Helina is under weapon trials from Rudra and lighter Sudarshan LGB versions are on the list for sure. So the weapons are there, just as the capability to guide them with Israeli electro-optics or the surveillance radars. The ambitious part is the development of the drone itself, not arming it.

India's Rustom II UAS Set For Winter Flight Debut

rustom-2.jpg

Rustom II MALE UAS
Found this video on a Defexpo 2014 CD that I'd missed in the clutter, showing the Rustom II MALE UAS during low speed taxi trials and engine trials at Kolar, near Bangalore sometime in the September-December 2013 timeframe.The Rustom-II was to make its debut flight in February this year, but my sources now tell me a winter flight is more likely. Honeywell is on the programme to help refine the aerodynamics as well as advise the ADE on flight testing. Also, a hunt is still on to give the Rustom-II new diesel engines.

Source:- Livefist: India's Rustom II UAS Set For Winter Flight Debut

Great news,hope they Integrate lighter versions of Surhashan LGB & Helina on the drone

Not really, since comparing it to the Predator only means that you compare it to another MALE drone. The Predator is not defined by the capability to use weapons, but is a surveillance drone in the first place! Some of the export users "only" use it for that role, since they were not approved for the weaponized role. So even if the titel is nonsense and only tries to make the Rustom sound to be something special, the comparision is not wrong at all.

We already have CLGM, which could be used as a laser guided weapon, Helina is under weapon trials from Rudra and lighter Sudarshan LGB versions are on the list for sure. So the weapons are there, just as the capability to guide them with Israeli electro-optics or the surveillance radars. The ambitious part is the development of the drone itself, not arming it.

Is the CLGM under development or is already developed & Deployed

what is clgm ??

Is the CLGM under development or is already developed & Deployed

For the use for ground troops and possibly tanks it's ready afaik, there were plans to make it air launched too and I really hope they go for it and not just aim on Helina only. Especially for Rudra and an armed Rustom H, a mix of CLGM and Helina would be great weapon pack in CAS roles.

what is clgm ??

Canon Laser Guided Missile, also named Samho:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ihmXi66hb3s/UU48Xvy03ZI/AAAAAAAAEZ4/TXbwgm_qfHI/s1600/CLGM-2.jpg

Basically our version of the LAHAT light Anti tank missile.

Last edited:
For the use for ground troops and possibly tanks it's ready afaik, there were plans to make it air launched too and I really hope they go for it and not just aim on Helina only. Especially for Rudra and an armed Rustom H, a mix of CLGM and Helina would be great weapon pack in CAS roles.

Canon Laser Guided Missile, also named Samho:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ihmXi66hb3s/UU48Xvy03ZI/AAAAAAAAEZ4/TXbwgm_qfHI/s1600/CLGM-2.jpg

Basically our version of the LAHAT light Anti tank missile.

Great news,funny i didn't knew it despite the outstanding performance of DRDO's PR Dept

Looks like Israeli Heron, while China's Wing Loong looks like American Reaper.

Wing-Loong-2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom