What's new

India’s huge need for electricity is a problem for the planet

CHN Bamboo

Reaction score
Country
China
India’s huge need for electricity is a problem for the planet - The Washington Post

Of the world’s 1.3 billion people who live without access to power, a quarter — about 300 million — live in rural India in states such as Bihar. Nighttime satellite images of the sprawling subcontinent show the story: Vast swaths of the country still lie in darkness.

Is this statistic right !?

@Bussard Ramjet @Shotgunner51
Dont worry, many of them fertilize the ground also. In 50 years, they will be the largest producers of organic fertilizers. :omghaha: They help the earth more than they hurt it.

India’s huge need for electricity is a problem for the planet - The Washington Post

Of the world’s 1.3 billion people who live without access to power, a quarter — about 300 million — live in rural India in states such as Bihar. Nighttime satellite images of the sprawling subcontinent show the story: Vast swaths of the country still lie in darkness.

Please wait for a moment while I will read the article, thanks!

Statistic is wrong. More then 95% Indians have access to electricity. Only few people who live in remote unreachable areas have issues. Modi has target of providing electricity to everyone by 2019.

Washington Post should use brain. India has one billion mobile phone connection. How can there be 300 million people without electricity.

The article says only 16% people in Bihar has bulbs & tubelight. More than 50% of people in Bihar have mobile phones as per data from telecom operators. From where the hell does Americans get their data.

Please wait for a moment while I will read the article, thanks!

I checked the article, it used info from another WP article:

And in that article, they used data from International Energy Agency, check below:

Extract:
"Worldwide 1.3 billion people – a population equivalent to that of the entire OECD – continue to live without access to electricity. This is equivalent to 18% of the global population and 22% of those living in developing countries. Nearly 97% of those without access to electricity live in sub-Saharan Africa and developing Asia. The latest estimate for sub-Saharan Africa has been revised up by 22 million, illustrating how rapid population growth can continue to outpace the rate of electrification in many countries and conceal the progress that has been made. In developing Asia, the general trend shows an improving picture, but the pace varies. The largest populations without electricity are in India, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) and Indonesia. "

I downloaded the database
http://www.worldenergyoutlook.org/media/weowebsite/WEO2014Electricitydatabase1.xlsx
Untitled.png

Last edited:
yeah...America's consumption of 40 times India's energy every year is not a problem for the planet. Instead of asking India not to consume what is a basic need, America should try to cut down on it's bloated consumption. And yeah, china should cut down even more.....

Kuch logo ko bahut khujli hoti hai. .. agar India se itni jalti hai to abhi se burnol stock karna chalu kar do.

On the topic , Yes a good proportion of India's population doesn't have access to 24/7 supply.

I checked the article, it used info from another WP article
Without electricity, 1.3 billion are living in the dark - Washington Post

And in that article, they used data from International Energy Agency’s electricity database
IEA - Energy access database

Extract:
"Worldwide 1.3 billion people – a population equivalent to that of the entire OECD – continue to live without access to electricity. This is equivalent to 18% of the global population and 22% of those living in developing countries. Nearly 97% of those without access to electricity live in sub-Saharan Africa and developing Asia. The latest estimate for sub-Saharan Africa has been revised up by 22 million, illustrating how rapid population growth can continue to outpace the rate of electrification in many countries and conceal the progress that has been made. In developing Asia, the general trend shows an improving picture, but the pace varies. The largest populations without electricity are in India, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) and Indonesia. "
I feel rather confused now...
Even in late 90s..90%(or more.I cant remember the exact number)Tibetan villages r access to electricity...But it contradicts India's mobile phone user's number right?

The figures used by Washington Post are factually incorrect in particular with referance to Pakistan. I have driven to remote mountain valleys in Pakistan and even tiny hamlets have electricity so I was surprised to see that Pak according to WP figures has 32% without electricty which is utter rubbish. If it did Pakistan would be behind India. However a quick check with World Bank reveals that Pakistan has ONLY 6%, yes just 6% without electricity with "Shining progress India" at 22% without electricty which is similar to what Washington quotes. Of course American media have now gone from lambasting Pakistan to now spreading outright lies as evidenced by the misleading figure they quoted in their graphs. You would thing Washington Post would get their figures correct.

World Bank > Access to electricity (% of population) | Data | Table

Pak > 93.6%
India > 78.7%

Last edited:
I think the main issue here is that many people in India are not registered as electricity consuming households, yet enjoy electricity connection by stealing electricity via an illegal connection.

I have been to some slums as well, where they literally steal en masse, by directly connecting their own wires to poles.

That is why such figures are misleading.

Yet, I would whole heartedly agree that electricity consumption isn't anywhere near as ample as it should be.

It is good for major cities. For example, in Mumbai, there is no electricity shortage.

But in my hometown, when I was growing up, there used to be around 4 hours of "loadshedding." in summers. This were preassigned hours, when there would be no electricity.

These days, in my hometown, the loadshedding hours have reduced to between 1 and 2.

I frankly don't know much about the villages.

But in cities itself, most of the poor households, just steal electricity, by directly connecting a wire to the nearest electricity pole.

@Chinese Bamboo @Shotgunner51

The figures used by Washington Post are factually incorrect in particular with referance to Pakistan. I have driven to remote mountain valleys in Pakistan and even tiny hamlets have electricity so I was surprised to see that Pak according to WP figures has 32% without electricty which is utter rubbish. If it did Pakistan would be behind India. However a quick check with World Bank reveals that Pakistan has ONLY 6%, yes just 6% without electricity with "Shining progress India" at 22% without electricty which is similar to what Washington quotes. Of course American media have now gone from lambasting Pakistan to now spreading outright lies as evidenced by the misleading figure they quoted in their graphs. You would thing Washington Post would get their figures correct.

Access to electricity (% of population) | Data | Table

Pak > 93.6%
India > 78.7%

And I don't trust your figures for a moment. It is a fact that Pakistan faces a severe energy crisis, where even your industries are coming to a stand still.

Just look at energy consumption and production figures from official sources. As I say, these figures can't be trusted because it is in doubt how they define, "household without electricity."

For energy theft in India, you should see this video.

The figures I quoted are from World Bank. So slightly more trustworthy source then your dodgy claims. In Pakistan we have massive illegal theft. In fact electricity theft has crippled the supply companies. Google and you will find out. Even the army at one stage had to be used because nobody pays and there are organized rackets.

The loadsheding is because of massive theft and aggregate demand which the supply side cannot service. because of lack of energy in the country. Thus need for gas as unlike India we don't have any economic coal.

" as high as 37 percent in PESCO. The transmission and distribution losses of KESC exceed 40 percent for some of the years (KESC, 2006). On average, 20-25 percent of total
electricity generated in Pakistan is marked as distribution losses. Power theft has been so serious issue in Pakistan that the government had to deploy army to recover electricity
charges of distribution companies in 1999".

http://www.pide.org.pk/psde/pdf/AGM29/papers/Faisal jamil.pdf

Solution for electricity theft - Pakistan unveils the ‘electrocure’ | Metering.com

* In the FATA region near the Afghan border nobody pays anything and the government is forced for political reasons to ignore mass scale theft. If supply is cut off the entire tribal militia goes on warpath.

@Bussard Ramjet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom