What's new

India's Economy Grew Only 0.2% Annually in the Last Two Years

India’S Current Account Deficit Expected To Hit 1.4% By March As Crude Soars

India's widening current account deficit (CAD), driven by the massive spike in commodity prices led by crude oil, is set to put pressure on the fragile recovery, warns a brokerage report that has revised upwards its CAD forecast to USD 45 billion or 1.4 percent of GDP by March. According to a report by British brokerage Barclays, the worries arise from the fact that the trade deficit has been jumping continuously since July.
From an average monthly trade deficit of USD 12 billion till June, it has jumped to USD 16.8 billion in July-October, with September showing the highest-ever trade deficit on record at USD 22.6 billion, the report said. "We raise our FY22 current account deficit forecast to USD 45 billion or 1.4 percent of GDP, up from USD 35 billion earlier, but a large balance of payments (BoP) surplus remains on track," it said, adding that the widening trade deficit can prove more sustained than initially thought.
Estimating that every USD 10 per barrel rise in global crude priceswill widen the trade deficit by USD 12 billion or 35 bps of GDP, as close to 85 percent of the oil demand is met through imports, and given the current elevated crude prices, the brokerage has raised its current account deficitforecast to USD 45 billion for FY22, from USD 35 billion earlier. The brokerage, however, ruled out an alarming situation and said that with record high foreign reserves, "we see no major risks to macro stability." It noted that the widening deficit trend may continue for some time as a combination of demand recovery and rising commodity prices will continue to widen the trade deficit sharply.

I entered the job market 20 years ago, and in that duration one thing I have learnt is to put growth numbers in the dustbin, whether they say 12% or 0.12%. I have seen rapid hiring in some very dull phases of the economy and sluggish hiring in boom phases too. Large and partly undocumented economies like India are impossible to gauge using traditional metrics. Whatever little truth they signal can always be obfuscated by some clever statistician.

India's bigger problems are not growth, growth and growth, but revenue leakages, corruption, misplaced priorities and general attitude of people. Recently in Bangalore the government decided that only fully vaccinated people will be allowed in malls and cinemas. The footfalls fell by 70%. I was stunned that so many people are not fully vaccinated yet. There are no longer queues for vaccination either. One can easily go and get a jab in minutes. But it is clear that a lot of people believe that others should get vaccinated so that I can be safe.

India's bigger problems are not growth, growth and growth, but revenue leakages, corruption, misplaced priorities and general attitude of people. Recently in Bangalore the government decided that only fully vaccinated people will be allowed in malls and cinemas. The footfalls fell by 70%. I was stunned that so many people are not fully vaccinated yet. There are no longer queues for vaccination either. One can easily go and get a jab in minutes. But it is clear that a lot of people believe that others should get vaccinated so that I can be safe.

They are waiting for 3rd wave and blame Govt for not ready for that.

Back
Top Bottom