What's new

India’s Air Pollution Is Out Of Control, Report Finds

onebyone

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Poor air quality causes nearly 1.1 million people to die prematurely in India each year, the study says.
02/14/2017 09:11 pm ET

The rise in India’s air pollution over a quarter century has been staggering, according to a new report on the State of Global Air website.

The collaborative study released Tuesday by the Health Effects Institute and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation found that India’s worsening air pollution causes 1.1 million people to die prematurely each year.

From 1990 to 2015, India’s rate of air pollution-related deaths jumped 50 percent, up to 14.7 for every 100,000 people.

Combined with China, the two countries contributed 52 percent of the 4.2 million global deaths related to air pollution in 2015. While they tie for the number of such fatalities in 2015, China recorded only 5.9 air pollution-related deaths per 100,000 people that year, down from 13.2 in 1990.

The report cites India’s “increasing exposure and a growing and aging population” for the uptick.

The findings should be no surprise to those living in India’s dense, traffic-clogged cities like Delhi, where the streets resemble “a gas chamber,” Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said in November, requiring people to wear face masks and schools to be shut down. The poor air quality is largely due to emissions from coal-fired power plants and fires fueled by wood and dung, The Washington Post reports

India joins a number of countries, including Bangladesh and Saudi Arabia, whose air pollution levels pose increasing harm to their residents. The Guardian reported on Monday that air pollution in 15 cities across the world is so bad that exercising for 60 minutes or more could do more harm than good. More than half of these 15 cities are in India.

Unlike China, India has made little progress in effective policymaking to combat rising air pollution levels. While Delhi introduced its “odd-even” rule ― a policy that allows cars with license plates that end in an odd number to drive only on odd-numbered days, and vice versa ― air quality remains poor as coal-fired power plants continue to operate.

The report’s findings underscore the importance of the Paris Climate Agreement, which India formally joined in October. Under the pact, India has committed to a goal of producing 40 percent of its electricity with non-fossil fuel sources by 2030.

Other regions of the world, such as the United States and Europe, saw decreasing air pollution levels following wide-ranging efforts to limit carbon emissions.

Some environmental experts worry that U.S. air quality progress could come to a halt under President Donald Trump, who has pledged to dismantle the Environmental Protection Agency, repeal former President Barack Obama’s Clean Power Plan and cancel the Paris agreement.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/india-china-air-pollution_us_58a36c79e4b0ab2d2b19d616

LOL at gas chamber. This is a country that has made a habit of lecturing other nations. India should just focus on its biggest enemy which is poverty.

Last edited:
LOL at gas chamber. This is a country thart has made a habit of lecturing other nations. India should just focus on its biggest enemy which is poverty.
We are doing..We have decreased 200 million poor last decade alone to 220 million..It will be interesting to see next next decade..
What is Pakistan doing?Making nuke?Mortgaging airport?
I think every poor nation should follow Pakistani model of governance..

I don't think it will be getting any better.

Probably a lot worse.

Combined with China, the two countries contributed 52 percent of the 4.2 million global deaths related to air pollution in 2015. While they tie for the number of such fatalities in 2015, China recorded only 5.9 air pollution-related deaths per 100,000 people that year, down from 13.2 in 1990.

What the hell was China doing back in 1990 that they had 13.2 deaths per 100000 compared to todays industrialized 5.9??

Pollution in developing countries is a paradox.

Most of the harmful pollution (soot, dust, SPM) is from coal-fired power plants and industrial processes using poor grade coal as a fuel. Developing countries simply don't have the money to build less-polluting energy sources on a scale needed to fuel their energy demand - and even if they did - the price of the energy produced would be unaffordable. So its a toss up between pollution and development - and no pollution and no development. Btw most of the CPEC energy projects are also coal-fired - no surprise - so if and when those materialise Pakistan will go through a similar pollution crisis.

All the western countries today underwent their own polluting periods - 1850s London was a gas trap - so there's no magic shortcut to zero pollution.

Having said that the air pollution in Indian cities is ridiculous - pretty much the only reason I choose to stay away.

India is definitely the dirtiest country in the world. Toxic air, poo on the streets plus corpses in their rivers.

A dozen freaking cities don't make entire India.

Delhi and Mumbai have it bad yes. But outside these cities things aren't half as miserable. My hometown is visited for its clean air and good environment laws.

Stupid report.

Pollution in developing countries is a paradox.

Most of the harmful pollution (soot, dust, SPM) is from coal-fired power plants and industrial processes using poor grade coal as a fuel. Developing countries simply don't have the money to build less-polluting energy sources on a scale needed to fuel their energy demand - and even if they did - the price of the energy produced would be unaffordable. So its a toss up between pollution and development - and no pollution and no development. Btw most of the CPEC energy projects are also coal-fired - no surprise - so if and when those materialise Pakistan will go through a similar pollution crisis.

All the western countries today underwent their own polluting periods - 1850s London was a gas trap - so there's no magic shortcut to zero pollution.

Having said that the air pollution in Indian cities is ridiculous - pretty much the only reason I choose to stay away.

Those are staggering numbers though, Something has to be done pretty soon.. I dont see any reason why India can't reduce air pollution if China managed to do it

Those are staggering numbers though, Something has to be done pretty soon.. I dont see any reason why India can't reduce air pollution if China managed to do it
In any case, I think the world pollution level is about to get solved.
Cars are going electric. In a decade's time, every major brand will shift to electric cars.

Delhi and Mumbai have it bad yes. But outside these cities things aren't half as miserable. My hometown is visited for its clean air and good environment laws.

Been travelling to India over the years, The pollution out side Delhi and Bombay is quite obvious, Places once were regarded very livable like Bangalore is now a hot mess of smog

In any case, I think the world pollution level is about to get solved.
Cars are going electric. In a decade's time, every major brand will shift to electric cars.

I think in India's case it's more to do with industrial pollution than vehicle emissions, More environmentally friendly, Renewable energy sources is the way to go, From my knowledge thats how China managed to reduce it's air polution

A dozen freaking cities don't make entire India.

Stupid report.

Cow dung and biomass burning outside of cities is actually the biggest pollutant in India.

89453F7D-3529-40F2-9D0E-124FC07002D5_w1023_s_s.jpg

What the hell was China doing back in 1990 that they had 13.2 deaths per 100000 compared to todays industrialized 5.9??

In 1990, most families in Chinese cities were still using coal stoves that need to be ignited with waste paper and kindling wood, every morning. Today, even people in rural townships are using LP stoves. This may be one of the reasons.

I don't think it will be getting any better.

Probably a lot worse.
Cow dung and biomass burning outside of cities is actually the biggest pollutant in India.

In 1990, most families in Chinese cities were still using coal stoves that need to be ignited with waste paper and kindling wood, every morning. Today, even people in rural townships are using LP stoves. This may be one of the reasons.
Every developing country has such problem & mostly when it comes to India with huge population..
People in villages mostly don't use cow dung to generate heat now days..Most have now access to LPG..
The actual reason is coal fired power plants & illegal factories which are creating pollution..Only few cities have such dirty air.

And that is what the PM has been doing here.

You must understand that a lot of development work was non-existent in its real sense under the Congress government. They were basically just there because someone had to sit on the PM's chair. India has had its biggest public campaign to voluntarily give up LPG subsidies which will further lead to giving LPG to those who cannot afford it.

These things will take time but it will eventually come along.

Anyway electric cars will mostly replace regular cars in the coming 10-20 years.

So no harm done.

And yes. For the picture you posted, using elements of nature is a part of dharmic spirituality and has deep meanings behind it (not just some holy man saying it but genuine spiritual means).

I don't expect you to understand so enjoy making fun of it.

Back
Top Bottom