What's new

India’s Afghan muddle

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
original article at The Hindu here, excerpts below:

Afghan President Hamid Karzai cannot get enough of Delhi. He has just concluded his third visit to the capital in the space of a year, a remarkable tally that underscores the great potential of the India-Afghanistan relationship. But India is at risk of wasting opportunities to build on what has been one of its greatest diplomatic successes in the past decade.

-----

... As the Afghan National Security Advisor put it, Kabul without the BSA “would be isolated again, like a lamb stuck among wolves in the desert.”

-----

India has proffered a baffling and implausible set of excuses for this reluctance: that the equipment could end up in the wrong hands, that Moscow must give permission for the transfer of Soviet-era arms, that India lacks “surplus capacity” in arms, and that the matter is, euphemistically, “under review.” India’s policy is now nothing short of incoherence. Indian officials privately criticise western powers for failing to arm the Afghans more heavily, but India vacillates over doing so itself. ...

India’s real concerns have little to do with a lack of capacity or Russian permission. Many of the items on Mr. Karzai’s weapons wish list are being phased out of India’s arsenal anyway, or are built by India itself. Its reluctance has more to do with chronic risk-aversion, compounded by the next year’s looming Indian and Afghan elections. ... New Delhi is ... anxious that the provision of heavy weaponry might provoke Pakistan into intensifying support for anti-Indian groups in Afghanistan. ... These concerns are legitimate, but India cannot hope to “free ride” on western efforts while complaining incessantly about how western policy is leaving threats to India unaddressed.

-----

... But New Delhi’s current policy appears to be to seek influence without commensurate responsibility. ...

Both... But a lot of "vagueness" on either side makes commentating at this point a worthless exercise. By July things should be more clearer to interpret.

@RescueRanger , if memory serves me right, you have spent time in Afghanistan (and recently) right?

Have you blogged or written about your experiences of living in Afghanistan: your thoughts, experiences and comments about your life in Afghanistan.

@RescueRanger , if memory serves me right, you have spent time in Afghanistan (and recently) right?

Have you blogged or written about your experiences of living in Afghanistan: your thoughts, experiences and comments about your life in Afghanistan.

Yes sir, as recent as 2013, but I have signed a very lengthy NDA and don't want to get a call from my former employers legal department... :), besides I don't like blogging... Digital Footprints can easily lead to career disasters :P

Yes sir, as recent as 2013, but I have signed a very lengthy NDA and don't want to get a call from my former employers legal department... :), besides I don't like blogging... Digital Footprints can easily lead to career disasters :P

Really?, your NDA precludes you from writing about your experiences like interactions with Afghans, Pakistanis in Afghanistan, etc. ?

Really?, your NDA precludes you from writing about your experiences like interactions with Afghans, Pakistanis in Afghanistan, etc. ?
I can write about stuff like that, without mentioning my employer or the people/communities we were working with etc. But I prefer to keep that discussion based rather than write about it on a regular basis.

I have always hated writing, on my Myers Briggs assessment i was identified as a "doer" apparently. :P. If you ever want to talk about my experience in Afghanistan, generally please feel free to ask in a P.M, i will be happy to oblige.

p9280023.jpg

A golden oldie me with ANPF Colonels.

I can write about stuff like that, without mentioning my employer or the people/communities we were working with etc. But I prefer to keep that discussion based rather than write about it on a regular basis.

I have always hated writing, on my Myers Briggs assessment i was identified as a "doer" apparently. :P. If you ever want to talk about my experience in Afghanistan, generally please feel free to ask in a P.M, i will be happy to oblige.

p9280023.jpg

A golden oldie me with ANPF Colonels.

oh f@#$ ... camos? seriously? ANP?

I thought you were working on capacity building or something with the world food program or the like.

Perhaps there should be a project to capture the narratives of Pakistanis living in Afghanistan.

oh f@#$ ... camos? seriously? ANP?

I thought you were working on capacity building or something with the world food program or the like.

Perhaps there should be a project to capture the narratives of Pakistanis living in Afghanistan.

Perhaps a guide of what a person of Pakistani descent should expect when visiting Afghanistan.

We came close to setting up an office in Kabul but I was surprised at the level of hostility/discouragement I got from especially Afghan Americans, even friends. We kinda gave up once a contract we were awarded got canceled for no good reason -- I guess part of the reason was that 2 of the co-founders (including myself) were Pakistani Americans.

Agreed, it would be a nice way to build bridges.

Building bridges would good -- I'd settle for far less -- I'm interested in capturing the narrative -- kind of an open source history.

Perhaps a guide of what a person of Pakistani descent should expect when visiting Afghanistan.

We came close to setting up an office in Kabul but I was surprised at the level of hostility/discouragement I got from especially Afghan Americans, even friends. We kinda gave up once a contract were awarded got canceled for no good reason -- I guess part of the reason was that 2 of the co-founders (including myself) were Pakistani Americans.

Was your office for humanitarian assistance or business, if you don't mind me asking?

Business, we provide number crunching and analytics for some people. Tracking digital-footprints is part of what we do.

We do pro-bono stuff as well and had some ideas that we prototyped but didn't really go anywhere because we didn't have local presence.

Was your office for humanitarian assistance or business, if you don't mind me asking?

Perhaps we could do a virtual interview of yourself and other Pakistanis who have held positions in Afghanistan in recent times.

Business, we provide number crunching and analytics for some people. Tracking digital-footprints is part of what we do.

We do pro-bono stuff as well and had some ideas that we prototyped but didn't really go anywhere because we didn't have local presence.

Sorry about that, your American. You should have approached http://www.a-acc.org, because your American nationals and also the business is American, you would have been supported with valuable local on ground safety/security advice by USOSAC: OSAC | United States Department of State | Bureau of Diplomatic Security

To be fair, Kabul is very safe, you will have no problems there. It is actually like a larger version of Quetta city if you can imagine it. Like any developing country, kickbacks, Chai pani and Baksheesh is mandatory to operate stress free, most foreign operations who are lets say "quick result" oriented, prefer to grease palms to get things done.

^ This is bad, because smaller NGO and businesses coming to the country struggle.

Sorry about that, your American. You should have approached http://www.a-acc.org, because your American nationals and also the business is American, you would have been supported with valuable local on ground safety/security advice by USOSAC: OSAC | United States Department of State | Bureau of Diplomatic Security

We were plugged in access wise we were sub to respectable prime. Post award there were Afghan Americans who represented the client and it didn't go very well.

Back
Top Bottom