What's new

Indian Vessels: Govt suspends transit fees

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Indian Vessels:
Govt suspends transit fees

Staff Correspondent

Govt suspends transit fees

The government has suspended transit and transshipment fees for Indian cargoes and transports on river routes until a further decision, in the face of an Indian demand for withdrawing such fees.

The National Board of Revenue (NBR) yesterday also made it clear that the government did not waive the fees, but suspended until the dispute over the transit fees is resolved.

"Transit fees have been suspended and the customs authorities have been directed to release the two Indian cargo vessels now detained by Bangladesh customs after receiving undertakings from those," NBR Chairman Nasiruddin Ahmed said at a press conference in Dhaka yesterday.

Bangladesh's customs men early this month seized two Tripura-bound Indian vessels at Sheikhbaria in Khulna, as they did not pay transit fees.

The tax administrator had been collecting transit fees on Indian cargoes shipped from Kolkata to Tripura using Bangladesh waterways since July this year.

The NBR earlier imposed transit fees for per TEU container at Tk 10,000, while for bulk product without container Tk 1,000 per tonne, effective from July 1.

Under the Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade signed in 1972, Indian cargoes are allowed to transport from Kolkata to Tripura through Bangladesh waterways, but this was the first time they were asked to pay.

Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA), after getting clearance from the NBR, allows the vessels to move through Bangladesh.

NBR officials said the Indian side is now trying to influence the government to fully waive the fees.

Ahmed also ruled out the propaganda that the transit fees have been waived. The NBR issued a circular in this regard at the time the last national budget was presented in parliament in June.

The NBR chairman said the circular got a go-ahead from the parliament and the law is still in force.

Asked whether the decision to suspend the fees will go against the law, Ahmed said: "If the government decides to continue the fees, the Indian vessels will make deferred payment for the time the fees will remain suspended."

The officials said the NBR has sent a proposal to the finance ministry favouring the provision of fees.

Besides the demand from the Indian side, an influential quarter in the government is also lobbying against the fees, they said.

If the fees are waived now, India will demand similar waiver for rail and road communications later, the officials added.

The NBR has conducted a study on the issue of the transit fees, and the findings of the study will be presented at a high-profile seminar next month, the NBR chairman said.

The outcomes of the seminar may help the government decide on the issue, said the NBR boss.

NBR member Fariduddin Ahmed said: "Bangladesh needs to calculate the economics of transit. How Bangladesh will benefit from giving transit to India has to be reviewed."

Good move by BD..

Long live India -BD friendship.:cheers:

You can say it good move for bd but in reality this move has been taken by some stooge those who are giving preference to india even before the benefit of bangladesh.

A reply much on expected lines where the word "stooge" will be used lavishly.. go on... keep going.. continue the thing u are doing.. while the friendship goes to greater heights.. :lol:

A reply much on expected lines where the word "stooge" will be used lavishly.. go on... keep going.. continue the thing u are doing.. while the friendship goes to greater heights.. :lol:

Did you read the news article fully... I think you did not otherwise you would not say why I have used the word stooge...

Read once again...

The officials said the NBR has sent a proposal to the finance ministry favouring the provision of fees.

Besides the demand from the Indian side, an influential quarter in the government is also lobbying against the fees, they said.

If the fees are waived now, India will demand similar waiver for rail and road communications later, the officials added.

NBR member Fariduddin Ahmed said: "Bangladesh needs to calculate the economics of transit. How Bangladesh will benefit from giving transit to India has to be reviewed."

Transit is not a free business for india even if some stooge try to lobby for it or give it for now.... we will have to see whether this transit really benefit bangladesh or not... its seems like a free lunch that india is expecting from bd... they got their transit route to be developed by their heavy truck and container by bd... when bd does not have such types of vehicles... un necessary rail route to connect to the transit route from mongla and chittagong port which bangladesh will hardly use.... loosing of business in the NE indian territory.... traffic congestion on bd...now axing of last remaining source of income removal of transit fee.... n allowing free flow of indian AIDS affected and drunk drivers to pollute our society and crating ecological damages... As Board of revenue officer pointed out... this transit issue must be reviewed... or stopped permanently if it is not beneficial for bd...

. n allowing free flow of indian AIDS affected and drunk drivers to pollute our society and crating ecological damages...

Apart from the usual quota of "stooge-usage",this caught my eye.

Aids does not spread just becuase Lorry Drivers cross BD and Bangalis will be affected through air.

If your women/men are moral enough then how come AIDS will spread.??

Last edited:

Aids does not spread just becuase Lorry Drivers cross BD and Bangalis will be affected through air.

If your women are moral enough then how come AIDS will spread.??

Hey its a nice counter argument against all that is not of likeness for many..

Lorry drivers comes with a load full of aids virus and spread it all over the country... :lol:

If your women/men are moral enough then how come AIDS will spread.??

It is not necessary that woman needs to be immoral... a drunk or drug addicted driver who is AIDS affected can do **** and many other immoral activity which can create disorder in bd... after all indian lorry drivers are very famous on all that....

Hey its a nice counter argument against all that is not of likeness for many..

Lorry drivers comes with a load full of aids virus and spread it all over the country... :lol:

Instead of cheering on useless comment .... reply my last post on your comment....

It is not necessary that woman needs to be immoral... a drunk or drug addicted driver who is AIDS affected can do **** and many other immoral activity which can create disorder in bd... after all indian lorry drivers are very famous on all that....

So how many rapes have been reported in BD that were done by Indian Truck driver in the past and how many of them were by AIDS infected drivers. ??

State it if you have facts and dont rely on "If my aunt had mush she would be my uncle" logic.

And what are the other immoral activities you imply?

like what. Do indian truk drivers also have a side profession of being stippers or male prostitues. Now thats enlightening. :what:

Instead of cheering on useless comment .... reply my last post on your comment....

Does nt deserve any reply .. I could refer any other posts of urs for the reply coz the words will be same. :lol:

So how many rapes have been reported in BD that were done by Indian Truck driver in the past and how many of them were by AIDS infected drivers. ??

State it if you have facts and dont rely on "If my aunt had mush she would be my uncle" logic.

Interesting. You have totally avoided countering his argument regarding the transit issue.

If any of you think suspending the transit fees is beneficial for BD, you must be mentally sick, if not a total schizophrenic. Now go on, try to come with another round of "this is good for bd-indo friendship" BS.

Things like these are killer blows to our friendship. However, I can see how BNP would totally want the government to do something as stupid as this.

If you are really interested on that try to check indian news and articles on indian drivers...

I personally did not keep a stat for AIDS... but india is the worlds largest AIDS affected country.... so is not it logical to assume many indian drivers will also be affected by that...

All these are off topic stuff... try to stick to the main issue....

Interesting. You have totally avoided countering his argument regarding the transit issue.

If any of you think suspending the transit fees is beneficial for BD, you must be mentally sick, if not a total schizophrenic. Now go on, try to come with another round of "this is good for bd-indo friendship" BS.

Things like these are killer blows to our friendship. However, I can see how BNP would totally want the government to do something as stupid as this.

See,I am not a Bangla citizen to comment on what is good for your country nor am I interested in it.Period.

Its up to you guys to vote in whichever party you think is beneficial for you and so dont blame me.

I comment on only what is good for my country (India) and I hope this is good.But one thing..If you think BD is all doing good with India not responding... then you are mistaken.

If you are really interested on that try to check indian news and articles on indian drivers...

I personally did not keep a stat for AIDS... but india is the worlds largest AIDS affected country.... so is not it logical to assume many indian drivers will also be affected by that...

All these are off topic stuff... try to stick to the main issue....

Already ran out of stats......?? No its not Logical. Anyway leave it out here as its offtopic

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom