What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

The Hindu : National : An international mission with India as captain

An international mission with India as captain

T.S. Subramanian

CHENNAI: Although 60 spacecraft have been sent since 1959 to study the moon, this is the first time that as many as 11 scientific instruments are being carried on a spacecraft, Chandrayaan-1 — five from the Indian Space Research Organisation, two from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, three from the European Space Agency and one from Bulgaria.

M. Annadurai, Project Director, called the spacecraft “an international mission with India as the captain.” “We are carrying a spectrum of instruments that people have not sent to study the moon earlier.”

Addressing a press conference at Sriharikota on Wednesday after the PSLV-C11 successfully put Chandrayaan-1 into its initial orbit, ISRO Chairman G. Madhavan Nair said the scientific instruments on board were “unique for the spectrum of their coverage.” These were “the most comprehensive set of instruments to fly on board a spacecraft to the moon in recent history.” The instruments would provide a map of the entire surface of the moon — its hills, valleys and craters, and look for minerals such as thorium, uranium, silicon and magnesium.

“We will also try to see whether there is any trace of water ice on the moon,” Mr. Nair said.

The data sent by these instruments would also reveal whether helium-3, which would be the fuel of the future, was available in abundance on the moon.

“A search for the presence of water ice will be made in multiple ways by Chandrayaan-1,” said Mr. Annadurai. Imaging instruments on board the spacecraft could detect the presence of water ice. The signals observed by the X-ray payloads would be useful in identifying the presence of water ice in the permanently shadowed regions of the moon.

The Lunar Laser Ranging Instrument would send high-energy lasers to the lunar surface and these would bounce back to the spacecraft. The lasers would help in measuring the depth of the moon’s craters and the height of its mountains.

An important instrument was the Moon Impact Probe (MIP), on which was painted the Indian national flag. The MIP would be ejected from Chandrayaan-1 soon after the spacecraft reached its final orbit of 100 km around the moon on November 15, Mr. Annadurai said. After a 20-minute descent, it would crash-land on the moon.

The MIP has three instruments — a video camera that will take pictures of the lunar surface as the MIP descends towards the moon; a mass spectrometer that will “sniff” and analyse the constituents of the thin atmosphere present above the moon; and an altimeter that will measure every second the altitude of the MIP from the moon during its fall. When the MIP crashes on the moon, it will kick up dust. The video camera will take pictures of this dust. The video images of the lunar surface and the dust will help in determining where the lander/rover in the Chandrayaan-2 mission can land on the moon.

T.K. Alex, Director, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore, which built Chandrayaan-1, said: “The spacecraft is in right orbit. It is in good health. The outlook is excellent.”

George Koshy was the mission director and C. Venugopal, the vehicle director.

Congratulations to Indian peoples, for the sucsess full lanuch of the space craft.
BBC was saying , why indians , did that, they should spend 80,milion dollars to reduce poverty, butn i , feel the gora shahi cant see, any of asian nation geting progress.

even , i am a hawkish kind of person as far as india is concern but, i realy cant see , some gora putting, crap on a wonderfull, achivment by a asian nation.
guys take cool at me, save your anger on me, so we can argue on some other thread.;):D:tup::smitten:

he he he. There will be critics everywhere. So nothing much to think about them. All in all an achievement. But let's wish that other stages go as planned. Best of luck to ISRO

Congratulations to Indian peoples, for the sucsess full lanuch of the space craft.
BBC was saying , why indians , did that, they should spend 80,milion dollars to reduce poverty, butn i , feel the gora shahi cant see, any of asian nation geting progress.

even , i am a hawkish kind of person as far as india is concern but, i realy cant see , some gora putting, crap on a wonderfull, achivment by a asian nation.
guys take cool at me, save your anger on me, so we can argue on some other thread.;):D:tup::smitten:

May be the US ans UK should stop wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and start looking at their economic problems... and unemployment problems.. and home foreclosures problems..

Chandrayaan-2 likely next year end or 2010: ISRO

SRIHARIKOTA: After the successful launch of India’s first unmanned mission to moon, Chandrayaan-1, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to send its second lunar odyssey, Chandrayaan-2, an Indo-Russian joint venture, likely by the end of next year or early 2010.

The work on this project would be taken up after Chandrayaan-1 starts its task of researching the moon, ISRO Chairman G Madhavan Nair told reporters here after the PSLV-C11 launched the spacecraft.

“One of the two GSLV missions next year could carry Chandrayaan-2,” he said.

The team behind the success of the first mission would work on Chandrayaan-2 also, he added.

However, the composition of the instruments for Chandrayaan-2 would be decided after studying the data received from the first mission, he said.

The second mission, for which the ISRO and Russian federal space agency have already signed a pact, would feature a lander and a rover for a soft land on moon.

“However, there would be a provision for accommodating payloads from other space agencies as is the case of Chandrayaan 1,” Nair said.

In addition to India’s five payloads, Chandrayaan-1 is carrying scientific instruments of the European Space Agency, Bulgaria and the USA.

Chandrayaan 2 likely next year end or 2010: ISRO

Chandrayaan-2 likely next year end or 2010: ISRO

SRIHARIKOTA: After the successful launch of India’s first unmanned mission to moon, Chandrayaan-1, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to send its second lunar odyssey, Chandrayaan-2, an Indo-Russian joint venture, likely by the end of next year or early 2010.

The work on this project would be taken up after Chandrayaan-1 starts its task of researching the moon, ISRO Chairman G Madhavan Nair told reporters here after the PSLV-C11 launched the spacecraft.

“One of the two GSLV missions next year could carry Chandrayaan-2,” he said.

The team behind the success of the first mission would work on Chandrayaan-2 also, he added.

However, the composition of the instruments for Chandrayaan-2 would be decided after studying the data received from the first mission, he said.

The second mission, for which the ISRO and Russian federal space agency have already signed a pact, would feature a lander and a rover for a soft land on moon.

“However, there would be a provision for accommodating payloads from other space agencies as is the case of Chandrayaan 1,” Nair said.

In addition to India’s five payloads, Chandrayaan-1 is carrying scientific instruments of the European Space Agency, Bulgaria and the USA.

Chandrayaan 2 likely next year end or 2010: ISRO

This is huge compliment,
Deccan Herald - Obama views Chandrayaan as a challenge

Obama views Chandrayaan as a challenge
Washington, IANS:

As the White House hailed India's maiden moon mission as "encouraging" and "exciting", Democratic presidential hopeful, Barack Obama saw it as a reminder to revitalise the US space programme and not let other countries surpass it. "I haven't spoken to the President (George Bush) about it. I saw that story, it was very interesting," White House spokesperson Dana Perino said on Wednesday. "We noted it's very encouraging for India, I'm sure, very exciting."

However, Obama viewed Wednesday's historic launch of India's moon mission Chandrayaan I from Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh as a challenge.

"With India's launch of its first unmanned lunar spacecraft following closely on the heels of China's first spacewalk, we are reminded just how urgently the United States must revitalise its space programme if we are to remain the undisputed leader in space, science, and technology," he said.

Obama said his comprehensive plan to revitalise the US "space programme and close the gap between the Space Shuttle's retirement and its next-generation replacement includes $2 billion more for NASA - but more money alone is not enough."

"We must not only retain our space workforce so that we don't let other countries surpass our technical capabilities; we must train new scientists and engineers for the next generation," he said.

Obama said his "comprehensive space policy focuses on reaching new frontiers through human space exploration, tapping the ingenuity of our commercial space entrepreneurs, fostering a broad research agenda to break new ground on the world's leading scientific discoveries, and engaging students through educational programmes that excite them about space and science."

"As a child, I remember sitting on my grandfather's shoulders and watching the Apollo astronauts return from a splashdown to Hickam Air Force Base, dreaming of where they had been," he added.

"It inspired my imagination and gave me confidence in what we as Americans could achieve. It's time for a space programme that inspires our children again," said the Democratic nominee who is leading over his Republican rival John McCain in most opinion polls.

"As president, I will lead our space programme boldly into the 21st century - so when my daughters, and all our children, look up to the skies, they see Americans leading the way into the deepest reaches of our solar system," Obama said.

The United States India Business Council (USIBC), representing 280 of the largest US companies investing in India, has also hailed India's maiden moon mission with two US instruments on board as the beginning of long "relationship promoting the opening of the frontier of outer space."

"This unique technology partnership in civil space exploration, which taps India's highly skilled scientific expertise with American instrumentation furnished by Raytheon, beckons what we hope will be a long and mutually beneficial relationship promoting the opening of the frontier of outer space," USIBC president Ron Somers said.

India's air navigation system to be world's most sophisticated- LATEST NEWS-The Economic Times

India's air navigation system to be world's most sophisticated
24 Oct, 2008, 1124 hrs IST, IANS

By 2011, India will have arguably the most sophisticated satellite-based air navigation system in the world that will bring immense benefits to both civilian and military aircraft, experts said.

Raytheon Company of the US is currently leading a team of companies to deliver a comprehensive solution for a global satellite navigation system to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Airports Authority of India.

The $196 mn or Rs.7.74 bn Global Positioning Satellite-Aided Geosynchronous Augmented Navigation system or GAGAN, to be implemented from the end of this year or early next year, will provide India with the most accurate, flexible and efficient air navigation system ever deployed.

"India had asked for the most sophisticated navigation system - even more sophisticated than what we have implemented in the US and Japan and we have shown that we are ready to deliver that," Raytheon's director of business development and strategic planning Fred A. Treyz III told media.

Treyz was here as part of Raytheon's delegation to the first civil aviation air show in India, the India Aviation 2008 held here Oct 15-18, 2008.

The GAGAN design is based on the experience that Raytheon gained while implementing the only certified space-based navigation augmentation systems in the world in the US and Japan.

The Wide Area Augmentation System, designed and developed by Raytheon and now being used in the US, was certified and commissioned by the Federal Aviation Administration of the US in July 2003.

The MTSAT Satellite Augmentation System also designed and developed by Raytheon was certified and commissioned by the Japanese Civil Aviation Bureau in September 2007.

The European Union is currently implementing the European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS) but this system is yet to be certified.

No other nation or group of nations is deploying such sophisticated air navigation systems.

The other members of the Raytheon-led technology team are Accord Software and Systems Pvt. Ltd. of Bangalore, Elcome Technologies Pvt. Ltd. of Gurgaon and Naverus Inc. of Kent, Washington.

Accord Software is providing Global Positioning System (GPS)-based user receiver prototype development optimized for the equatorial region, Elcome is providing logistical and on-site support and Naverus is providing performance-based navigation route design, procedure flight validation and other related services.

The project will provide straight-line fuel-efficient routes and precision approach landings, thereby reducing fuel burn substantially. It will also enable multiple approach capability.

GAGAN will also make it possible to provide coverage of oceanic areas, which is not possible by terrestrial systems; improve airport and airspace access in all weather conditions; enhance reliability and reduce delays; provide uniform and accurate navigation performance over the entire airspace; provide fuel efficient air corridors and provide CAT-I approach without ground element support.

Broadly, the project would result in fuel savings/efficiency for airlines and enable higher air traffic within the limited airspace.

some anxious moments

The Hindu : National : ISRO battled leak in liquid propellant facility

ISRO battled leak in liquid propellant facility

Special Correspondent
Men behind moon mission faced some anxious moments
CHENNAI: It was not only adverse weather that the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) battled but a leak in the liquid propellant servicing facility on the ground before the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C11) rose majestically from its launch pad at Sriharikota on Wednesday at 6.22 a.m. (October 22) with Chandrayaan-1 on board. This gave anxiety to the men behind the mission, who were manning the consoles in the Mission Control Centre at the spaceport in Andhra Pradesh.

George Koshy, Mission Director, PSLV-C11, which put Chandrayaan-1 in its initial orbit, said on Thursday that problems arose when manoeuvres were under way in filling the second stage of the rocket with liquid propellants.

There was a leak in the liquid propellant servicing facility established on the ground.

“We had to overcome that. It has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. It is a remotely operated facility. We corrected the problem,” he said.

Although the mission team lost 10 hours of the 49-hour countdown due to bad weather, it made it up by conducting several pre-launch activities in parallel, Mr. Koshy said. These activities included filling of pressurants and gases.

Dedicated team
He attributed the success of the PSLV-C11 mission to “ISRO’s dedicated team. You will not get such a committed team anywhere else.”

C. Venugopal, Vehicle Director, asserted that despite the loss of time by the adverse weather condition and the technical problem related to the leak, “we were back on track by T-minus four hours,” i.e., four hours before the lift-off at 6.22 a.m. The sequential operations, including electrical checks, were done in parallel. The weather, which was bad till T-minus ten hours, cleared subsequently. “By T-minus four hours, everything was in normal condition,” he said.

Although the PSLV-C11 was a new advanced version of the standard PSLV and it was being flown for the first time, “I had absolute confidence in the vehicle,” Mr. Venugopal said. Its design was robust and its new motors had been fired on the ground. The PSLV-C 11 is also called PSLV-XL. Each of its six strap-on motors carried 12.4 tonnes of solid propellants instead of nine tonnes each in the standard version. The motors were also longer. (Hence they are called XL- extra long/large).

S. Ramakrishnan, Director (Projects), Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram, called the Chandrayaan-1 launch “a historical mission because we are going for the first time beyond the earth’s orbit to a nearby heavenly body (the moon).”

P.S. Veeraraghavan, Director, ISRO Inertial Systems Unit, Thiruvananthapuram, called the mission “a fight against weather.”

The weather cleared exactly when the mission required it and the launch vehicle put the spacecraft into an orbit of 256 km by 22,866 km with an inclination of 17.8 degrees.

“This was exactly as we required. So the launch was a grand success,” Mr. Veeraraghavan said.

India's manned mission not before 2012: Madhavan Nair- ET Cetera-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

India's manned mission not before 2012: Madhavan Nair
24 Oct, 2008, 1357 hrs IST, ANI

BANGALORE: Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman G. Madhavan Nair has said that India's manned mission would take atleast another three years.

India's space programme took a leap on Wednesday when the ISRO undertook a flawless lift off of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) carrying Chandrayaan-I, a cuboid spacecraft which includes a Moon Impactor Probe gadget.

India hopes to send an astronaut into space by 2012 and a manned mission to the moon by 2020. The Indian Government has approved the launch of Chandrayaan-2, which is expected to take off between 2010 and 2012, and will include a rover that will land on the moon.

Nair revealed that the ISRO has indeed planned the logical, complex and ultimate manned mission next in the pipeline. "Looking at the global scenario and also our own priorities, we believe that undertaking a manned mission is very important and for that we are now conducting a basic study as to what technologies needs to be developed, what facilities needs to be established and how the reliability of launch system has to be improved and so on," Nair told Asian News International (ANI) in an interview.

"So this programme, once it is launched, of course it is very complex. We have to understand many fundamentals. The information available from the literature is very few. So, with that our estimate is that it may take up to 2012, before we can have man around earth and back," Nair added.

India had sent an Air Force pilot, Rakesh Sharma in space aboard the Russian Soyuz rocket way back in 1984 when the then Soviet Union sent cosmonauts from a number of Eastern bloc to space, but New Delhi did not follow up that programme.

Two other Indian origin astronauts have been to space aboard NASA's space shuttle but ISRO still lacks a manned mission.

The Chandrayaan-I project cost 79 million dollars, considerably less than the Chinese and Japanese probe in 2007. ISRO says the moon mission will pave the way for India to claim a bigger chunk of the global space business.

"We have launched almost 16 satellites for other countries. It will show the reliability and confidence of PSLV system. I am sure more and more opportunities will come in the near future," Nair said.

India started its space programme in 1963, developing its own satellites and launch vehicles to reduce dependence on overseas agencies.

Good pictures - finally - ISRO really needs to improve their PR.

The best PR is a string of successes and a solid and ambitious plan for the future.

That is all we seek from ISRO, not flashy media campaigns or camera friendly scientists.

ISRO seems to be delivering on what we expect. They do need to increase the capacity by involving the private sector in a big way for all non-core activities.

The best PR is a string of successes and a solid and ambitious plan for the future.

That is all we seek from ISRO, not flashy media campaigns or camera friendly scientists.

ISRO seems to be delivering on what we expect. They do need to increase the capacity by involving the private sector in a big way for all non-core activities.

What's up with you today? I never said anything about media campaigns or "camera friendly" scientists.

All they need is some good pictures and a decent website. How hard can it get?

I can understand that they work on a really shoestring budget, but making a decent website isn't all that expensive.

Also, PR isn't something dishonest or evil, as you are making it out to be. Have you seen the Indian Army ads on tv?

Last edited:
Well, I think I may have misunderstood your post in that case.

Frankly I am proud of their achievement and even though I have visited their website a few times and agree that it could be better, I just ignored it in the excitement of their solid achievements on the ground.

How India flew to the moon economy class
How India flew to the moon economy class-India-The Times of India
CHENNAI: Chandrayaan-1, now on its way to the moon, has cost less than one-tenth of the Indian Premier League (IPL) rights bagged by Sony Entertainment. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) spent just over Rs 380 crore (about half the price of a Jumbo Jet) on Chandrayaan-1, with 1,000 scientists toiling over it for three years. A similar effort by NASA or any other space agency would have cost at least five times more. In real terms, Chandrayaan-1 cost only about 4% of Isro's budget over three years.

How did Isro do it? "Optimisation," says its chairman G Madhavan Nair, in an exclusive interview to STOI. "There are some tests the Americans would have done six times and we did only thrice. We scrutinise every parameter and optimised the tests. Yes, you may call it a calculated risk, but, touch wood, we have been successful with this approach so far.'

But this didn't mean cutting corners, insists the Isro chairman. "More than 30% of the sub-systems that went into Chandrayaan-1 were used by us in other operations. The PSLV we used for the launch is almost the same we have been using for several previous launches, with the only difference being the six enhanced strap-on motors (the quantity of solid propellants was increased from nine tonnes to 12 tonnes each)."

Optimising tests on such equipment and procedures helped Isro save a lot. But it has at least partly been forced to turn this spend smart and save-philosophy into a cherished principle. The IPL deal of about Rs 5,000 crore or $1 billion is equivalent to Isro's entire annual budget, while NASA's is 20 times as much.

On the brighter side, Antrix Corporation, Isro's commercial wing, has earned Rs 900 crore from commercial satellite launches and sale of remote sensing data last financial year and the revenues are growing at 25%. "We have launched 16 satellites for other countries so far and another four are on the anvil. Commercial launches add to our earnings," says Madhavan Nair. This should augur well for Isro, which has such ambitious projects as the Rs 12,000 crore manned space mission scheduled for 2015.

Another aspect that makes Isro stand out in the group of space-faring nations is its down-to-earth scientists. Anyone who has taken a peep into the mission control at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota would have been struck by the simplicity of Isro scientists in crumpled white lab coats with the blue letters 'PSLV' on their back, who hugged each other when PSLV-C11 injected Chandrayaan-1 into the earth orbit about 18 minutes after take-off.

Back
Top Bottom