What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

Its a real Thriller Guys. Stick to Doorsarshan at 4:00 PM.

Yash.. you have really posted fantastic pics. I am so glad together with all of u.. that we Indians have achieved This.

Wow..Jai. Ho.

Its a real Thriller Guys. Stick to Doorsarshan at 4:00 PM.

Yash.. you have really posted fantastic pics. I am so glad together with all of u.. that we Indians have achieved This.

Wow..Jai. Ho.

Desperately waiting for the moment. For many reasons I am 500% sure it will be a success. I have seeing good signs from the morning. :smitten: Today is a good day. A new day for India's science and technology as well. Jai HIND.

ISRO to groom young turks

BANGALORE: India space agency has set its sights on more giant leaps for mankind, but will start with some small steps. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), fresh from the success of its moon mission and water find on the lunar surface, will pass the mantle of leading all future missions including a trip to Mars to its young blood.

Isro will groom a select group of 225 scientists in the 30-45 age category — young by space research standards — in all facets of leadership for shouldering missions such as a second unmanned moon trip, manned space exploration , and satellite launches, said chairman K Radhakrishnan. “We will train them on political, social, strategic and economic perspectives,” said Mr Radhakrishnan, who is also the secretary of the space department.

The so-called Isro Strategy Group is a pet project of Mr Radhakrishnan, an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, who took charge as ISRO head last November.

All members of the elite group have been carefully chosen for their ability to manage multi-disciplinary operations and help the organisation interact with industry, said KR Sridhara Murthi, managing director of Antrix, the commercial arm of ISRO.

For ISRO, the move marks a turning point in its human resources management. Private tech companies have long snapped up engineering talent with better pay packages, hobbling the agency’s recruitment plans. The agency’s stringent hiring process hasn’t helped either. Not anymore. ISRO has benefited from three developments, notably the moon mission Chandrayaan-I , said Mr Radhakrishnan.

Chandrayaan-I has drawn the younger generation into space, the government has decided to pay up to 40% rise in salary perks for scientists, and students increasingly think technology is a better bet than monotonous jobs, he said.

ISRO is also reaping the benefits of an earlier move aimed at addressing the lack of talent. The Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, established by the space department, is already training 433 students.

ISRO was accustomed to losing a tenth of its employees after induction and training. That number is down to zero, said Mr Radhakrishnan. “In fact, people who have gone want to return,” he said. The agency has nearly 17,000 employees, of which 11,000 are scientists and the rest administrative staff. The Strategy Group will be mentored by former ISRO scientist YS Rajan. The in-house training will have extensive courses from premier business schools such as IIMs. ISRO is also getting inputs from industries and academia.

Through the programme, ISRO hopes to pave way for new talent to take on bigger responsibilities. The programme will aim to train young scientists in technical expertise as well as managing aspects such as the relationship with the government, foreign space agencies and Indian corporates, said ISRO director S Satish.

Experts have welcomed the idea. Prof Bharat Bhaskar, who worked as principal scientist at Nasa’s Goddard Space Flight Centre in Maryland, said targeting youth to drive critical missions has been implemented with great success by Indian corporates such as the Tatas for the Nano car project and the Mahindras for the Scorpio SUV.

ISRO to groom young turks-ET Cetera-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Bandwidth to improve as GSat-4 heralds Ka band

The new Ka band that ISRO is heralding in the country on its latest satellite GSat-4 will improve the bandwidth for the Net user and also drive down the price noticeably.

But not immediately. The customer has to wait for three more years to feel the effect of its real operation, according to Mr K.R. Sridhara Murthi, Managing Director of ISRO's commercial arm, Antrix Corporation. GSat-4 is an experimental satellite with a multi-beam Ka-band transponder.

The Ku band has got crowded and it is believed that Ka, which can support higher data transmission by at least two or three fold, will be preferred for non-broadcasting applications.

The biggest advantages of Ka band are the higher bandwidth it offers, a 20-30-cm antenna that is almost half the diameter of the present Ku band dishes; and transmission over small areas at higher power. The C-band antenna was 2 metres wide.

On the flip side, Ka transmission is vulnerable to outages during rain. “One big issue with the Ka band for our country is attentuation or rain-fade, which is worse than with Ku band. Communication can be impaired during rain,” Mr Murthi told Business Line. He was speaking ahead of the launch of the advanced communications satellite slated for Thursday evening from Sriharikota.

With Ka, the entire country can be covered much more efficiently in 20-50 spot beams instead of using one big beam. The same frequency can be re-used for different users without interference. “You can use this more amenably for Internet broadband services. It may not be preferred for DTH or broadcasting which needs very big beams,” Mr Murthi said. The multiple beams have been tried out with another experimental service, the Edusat.

Potential users are VSAT operators, rural Internet connectivity where cables will not go; for video conferencing and certain user groups.

Ka services may cost more in the beginning because of new equipment that the service provider has to install. But as with Ku band equipment, over time and number of sales, it can get cheaper than Ku. The price of terminals is ruling at $200-$300, which should not be a big constraint for operators, Mr Murthi said.

GLOBAL TREND

By 2013, ISRO plans to have a fully operational Ka-band satellite, the GSat-14. “I'm sure Ka will click technologically. It is very much part of future technology. While you may enjoy new recipes, you also cherish the older ones. Ka, when it gets operational, will complement C and Ku bands that we have used so far.”

Reports say the world is certainly moving towards Ka, and for new and lucrative applications. Of the 75-plus communications satellites going into service between now and 2014, some 30-35 will have Ka band transponders.

ISRO is building Hylas-1 with Ka transponders for UK operator Avanti. The other large Ka projects include Hylas-2, DirecTV, EutelSat Ka-Sat, Yahsat 1A and 1B; and ABS-2.

Meanwhile, Mr Murthi said, “We have to measure the extent of fading. With C and Ku bands, the quality of service was 99.9 per cent. We don't know yet how good this would be for DTH operations.” In the West, impaired communication has been managed with some technical solutions, he said.

The Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, which developed the payload, is also understood to be working on solutions for the industry on how to beat the rain fade problem.

The Hindu Business Line : Bandwidth to improve as GSat-4 heralds Ka band

Its the final countdown

final-countdown-busted.jpg

The Live Relay of the launch is on DD National starting from 16:00 Hrs IST

credit : SShridhar

All news channel telecasting this event Live :smitten:
any way just 15 min left..:cheers:

hey guyz , since i dont live in india, i dont get doordarshan , can anyone post a a link that would provide live streaming of the launch?

hey guyz , since i dont live in india, i dont get doordarshan , can anyone post a a link that would provide live streaming of the launch?

hey sarthak search for NDTV 24x7 Live Television

i am new here so i am unable to post the link..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom