What's new

Indian soldiers to be court-martialled for staging encounters in Kashmir

Bratva

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
SRINAGAR: India has decided to court-martial two Indian army officers along with four soldiers for staging an encounter in Indian-occupied Kashmir in which three labourers were killed, according to BBC Urdu.

Colonel Rajesh Kalia, the Defence spokesperson for Indian Army’s northern command said the concerned ‘encounter’ occurred three years ago, and the decision to take action against the soldiers came after investigations over the incident had been completed.

The incident happened in the last week of 2010 in a village called ‘Maazhil” in District Kupwara, Northern Kashmir. Local police had investigated the incident and filed cases against nine Indian soldiers plus two Kashmiris working for the Indian army.

The army conducted its own investigation though, headed by Brigadier Sanga.

Colonel Kalia said: “The people want rapid justice for the incident and our decision reflects their sentiments.’

When news of the sham encounter first broke in 2010, Kashmiris led large-scale protests against the killings for a long time. To quell the protests, Indian paramilitary troops and police fired at the protesters and shot dead over 120 civilians, injuring hundreds and arresting a large number of young boys as well.

A few months ago, the army conducted a two-week operation to hunt down suspected rebels in disputed Kashmir after a series of gunbattles in which at least eight alleged militants were killed.

Not the first fake encounter

BBC Urdu reported that in a separate incident in 2010, some time before the then US President Bill Clinton arrived in India for a visit, as many as 35 Sikh civilians were killed in an area in Northern Kashmir.

Subsequently, the Indian army claimed to have been in an ‘encounter’ in which they had killed the alleged terrorists from Pakistan who perpetrated the above incident. To quell the demonstrations, Indian paramilitary troops and police fired at the people, killing over 120 civilians, injuring hundreds and arresting thousands of young boys.

As official investigations disclosed later, though, the people killed by the Indian Army were innocent civilians, who were burned down alive inside their houses.

Indian soldiers to be court-martialled for staging encounters in Kashmir – The Express Tribune

Court marshalling an officer in colonel rank.That terrific.Indian Army will maintain its dignity and honour ,it will take disciplinary action and will court martilled rogue officers and for that IA will not considered accused officers rank.Hope victims get justice

So IA is good or bad . Thanks for putting another feather in cap of IA .

Myths put to rest Pakistani terrorists are killed in every "alleged" encounter of IA :angel:

Although it is a good step but one has to wonder how many other incidents were swept under the rug, I dont care what you say any military tries its best to save its officers and soldiers from persecution (something to do about loyalty among the ranks), its only when the thing gets really out of control that things get reported, anyways great move by the IA....

Myths put to rest Pakistani terrorists are killed in every "alleged" encounter of IA :angel:
Yes we prosecute the guilty....three's bound to be a few bad eggs

Although it is a good step but one has to wonder how many other incidents were swept under the rug, I dont care what you say any military tries its best to save its officers and soldiers from persecution (something to do about loyalty among the ranks), its only when the thing gets really out of control that things get reported, anyways great move by the IA....

I agree to your post completely, there have been incidents that have been swept under rug.....but we are actively trying to limit or eliminate those few instances

Yes we prosecute the guilty....three's bound to be a few bad eggs

I agree to your post completely, there have been incidents that have been swept under rug.....but we are actively trying to limit or eliminate those few instances

And suddenly I respect the IA a little more, good luck on that mate.....

india acts on its crimes, indian army investigates every death in kashmir and if found guilty punishes unlike some other country that i will not name.

Yes, you're very good at that.

Really good step if found guilty. In India, justice can be delayed but will be served is what we believe and its just one example of that.

120 killed ?????to disperse one demonstration ,are the numbers right.

Back
Top Bottom