HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Bangladesh lodges protest over India torture video

By Ethirajan Anbarasan

BBC News, Dhaka

Cannot play media. You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

AdvertisementIt is not clear who filmed the video
The Bangladeshi government has lodged an official protest with Delhi over a video showing Indian border guards torturing a suspected Bangladeshi cow smuggler last month.

The mobile phone footage shows soldiers apparently from India's Border Security Force (BSF) stripping and assaulting the Bangladeshi man.

Eight BSF guards have been suspended in connection with the incident.

The BSF is investigating what it called a "despicable" incident.

"The government of Bangladesh has conveyed its utter dismay about the incident to the Indian side.

"It has protested such abusive and violent action by BSF personnel despite repeated assurances from the Indian leadership about exercise of utmost restraint by BSF personnel," a Bangladeshi foreign ministry release said.

It said the ministry had also requested the Indian authorities to conduct "a thorough enquiry" into the incident and "take appropriate action" against the BSF guards.

Meanwhile, the 22-year-old Bangladeshi national, Habibur Rahman, told the BBC that after beating him severely the BSF soldiers dumped him in a mustard field near the border

"I was unconscious for a long time. When I woke up I realised that I had no clothes on my body. It was aching all over. Then I asked for some clothes from people around. I told my family about the incident and they came to take me with them," Mr Rahman said.

"The BSF guards were asking for money and my mobile phone from me as a bribe to allow me to go across the border. Since I did not give it to them, they started beating me," he said.

"Cow smuggling is pretty common here and many people in this area earn their living by bringing cows from India. It was my first time in this business and it ended up in a nightmare. I will not do this again."

Bangladesh and India share a border of more than 4,000km (2,485 miles) and cow smuggling is common at the border

BBC News - Bangladesh lodges protest over India torture video

Back
Top Bottom