What's new

Indian Railways 2020!

Why have debt when they've trillions in US treasury??
sir, every railways infrastructure developed need to breakeven, generate revenue to cover cost of investment , book profit for maintenance and profit for future expansion

According to the Chinese railway official, the railway could never even recover the cost of infrastructure and maintenance of those trains

sir, every railways infrastructure developed need to breakeven, generate revenue to cover cost of investment , book profit for maintenance and profit for future expansion

According to the Chinese railway official, the railway could never even recover the cost of infrastructure and maintenance of those trains

That's what Sonia Ghandi and her criminal family want you to believe.

Don't believe a word from that family of traitors, liars, and rapists.

That's what Sonia Ghandi and her criminal family want you to believe.

Don't believe a word from that family of traitors, liars, and rapists.

hey we are fools...

I admit you are great.. and I request you to spend 2000 billions more on high speed trains in China.

All the best.. Cheeers..:cheers:

now happy. now stop pestering.

Isn't the Indian railways subsidized by the Indian government? I remember Modi had to cut the subsidies recently because it was becoming unaffordable.

The important thing though, is for something so vital as national infrastructure, sometimes losses are inevitable. Private companies will only build infrastructure if it is profitable, however as a developing country we need far more infrastructure than private companies are willing to build, if we are to ever catch up with the developing world in terms of infrastructure per capita.

America for example has 10 times more railway tracks per capita than China has. That's because they are a developed country, and how can we achieve that if we do not build more.

Isn't the Indian railways subsidized by the Indian government? I remember Modi had to cut the subsidies recently because it was becoming unaffordable.
Indian railway has moved away from subsidary model since 2008, it is taking baby steps, it posted its first profit in 2008-09 and 10 i guess, and from there there was a bit of deficit, but railways raises its funds for maintenance and expansion from its sales, and excess is sort from the finance ministry

IThe important thing though, is for something so vital as national infrastructure, sometimes losses are inevitable. Private companies will only build infrastructure if it is profitable, however as a developing country we need far more infrastructure than private companies are willing to build, if we are to ever catch up with the developing world in terms of infrastructure per capita.

America for example has 10 times more railway tracks per capita than China has. That's because they are a developed country, and how can we achieve that if we do not build more.
agreed, but the problem is, Bullet trains cannot be over subsidized, otherwise they would become a white elephant to maintain, China has trillions, but debt is increasing every year rapidly (for railways) and recovery from sales is inadequate for maintenance of present trains. It will be a cause of concern down the line, if china railway doesnt increase the cost of fare enough.

agreed, but the problem is, Bullet trains cannot be over subsidized, otherwise they would become a white elephant to maintain, China has trillions, but debt is increasing every year rapidly (for railways) and recovery from sales is inadequate for maintenance of present trains. It will be a cause of concern down the line, if china railway doesnt increase the cost of fare enough.

That is a big concern, yes.

This is a part of the eternal debate between private and nationalized infrastructure.

Private companies are generally more efficient at allocating resources, and are thus more efficient and profitable.

However, they only work when there is profit to be made, and corporate profit is their main objective.

This is fine for a developed economy. But in developing countries, they need a little encouragement (via subsidies etc) to build infrastructure even if it is not profitable.

But subsidies and bloated government owned-companies are not very competitive in the long term, so eventually reforms (and possibly even privatization) will be needed.

The question is, what stage are we currently at, and what reforms do we need to carry out. Big economic reforms are coming soon in China, hopefully many of these concerns will be addressed. Hopefully.

That is a big concern, yes.

This is a part of the eternal debate between private and nationalized infrastructure.

Private companies are generally more efficient at allocating resources, and are thus more efficient and profitable.

However, they only work when there is profit to be made, and corporate profit is their main objective.

This is fine for a developed economy. But in developing countries, they need a little encouragement (via subsidies etc) to build infrastructure even if it is not profitable.

But subsidies and bloated government owned-companies are not very competitive in the long term, so eventually reforms (and possibly even privatization) will be needed.

The question is, what stage are we currently at, and what reforms do we need to carry out. Big economic reforms are coming soon in China, hopefully many of these concerns will be addressed. Hopefully.
even govt owned companies can earn profit, if they are allowed certain freedom to price economically
I think the chinese govt could itself revise the fare's too see it mints enough money to maintain the fleet of trains and tracks
I understand, that the poor get hit with increase in fare, but sometimes it is essential to take certain steps.

Plus, i think govt can increase the fare's in small successions so that the ordinary citizen doesnt feel the pinch of fare hikes

even govt owned companies can earn profit, if they are allowed certain freedom to price economically
I think the chinese govt could itself revise the fare's too see it mints enough money to maintain the fleet of trains and tracks
I understand, that the poor get hit with increase in fare, but sometimes it is essential to take certain steps.

Plus, i think govt can increase the fare's in small successions so that the ordinary citizen doesnt feel the pinch of fare hikes

I agree with you. :tup:

In the end we'll have to see what policy reforms they are going to make.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom