Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
M F Hussain given Qatar nationality

NEW DELHI: India's eminent artist M.F. Husain, who has been under attack from Hindu fundamentalists for his paintings of Hindu goddesses and has been living in Dubai and London, has been given Qatar nationality, it was reported here on Thursday. "I, the Indian origin painter M.F. Husain at 95, have been honoured by Qatar nationality," the celebrated artist wrote above a line sketch of a horse, the leitmotif of much of his work. The black and white drawing was carried by The Hindu newspaper.

In a signed article, The Hindu editor N. Ram wrote that the artist had given him the news from Dubai "by reading out the few lines he had written on a black-and-white line drawing that he released to The Hindu".

According to the report, Husain did not apply for the nationality but it was conferred on him at the instance of the emirate's ruling family.

Photographer, designer and activist Ram Rahman, who is close to the Husain family, responded to the news by saying: "The citizenship has been offered by the sheikha, the wife of the sheikh of Qatar, and it has several implications.

"On a personal note, I feel it is quite clear that the man who is 95 years old and cannot return to his country to die, there is no point of him remaining an Indian citizen."

"It would be a tragedy. He has not given up his Indian citizenship yet but if he decides to take up the Qatari offer, he will not remain an Indian citizen anymore. It is also a reflection of our legal system because the cases against him will drag on for 20-30 years.... so it is justified if he takes up the Qatari offer," Rahman told IANS.

M F Husain given Qatar nationality - India - The Times of India

well...his paintings had a meaning...I don't know qatar...but it's a democracy here....one Indian a prominent and world-renowned Indian was forced to give up his nationality...
shlt like this sickens me!

I dint say that. Indians should think over it if its going to bring positive views for them or negative.

M F Hussain given Qatar nationality

NEW DELHI: India's eminent artist M.F. Husain, who has been under attack from Hindu fundamentalists for his paintings of Hindu goddesses

The old man did that for CHEAP publicity...:hitwall:

Tragedy eh?

I wonder how would Qatar and its Muslims react if Mr. Hussain starts drawing a nude painting of Proph...

Anyways, he is Qatar's headache now.

you know how will they react by the way where is the indian liberalism gone in this case ?

Leftist ideologists will came with cards hearing this news,so called indian think tanks will register their protests,ndtv cnn,toi will do online and sms campaigns to bring him back..so much drama can be expected.already kerala minister came in support of this guy

Although this is not-so-good incident however he himself is the reason for it.

@paritosh:
I agree he is a genious in arts and it is a loss for India.

However he should not do anything which hurts religious sensitivities. Democracy is for the people. And he should have avoided doing something which hurts majority of people. I do not find the excuse or rather cover of democracy reasonable in this regard.

Just as example, Varun Gandhi also spoke nonsense. Should we spare him because of democracy. NO. He should be punished accordingly.

And this applies to all such people who misuse the power granted to them in a system.

P.S. --> I do not mean the outfits who threatened MFH were right. They too were guilty.

ya to show tat we should invite salman rushdie,tasleema nasreen also
dont twist things answer the question where is the liberlisim and religious tolerance continious rant by our indian members ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom