What's new

Indian Olympics Dream: Rio 2016

How Many Medals Will India win in Rio 2016?

• Total voters
"but when you are sending someone to the biggest stage dont send those who dont have any chance"
Who decided this??

I think you are not understanding abt how do one qualifies for the Olympics. Each sport has different rules and entry. Not All the same. That is where other games and athletics tournaments come in. Our athletes do compete in them and have secured a place in the Olympics

Case and point : Dipa Karmakar . Don't tell me that only one woman gymnast we are able to send!. Im sure there are many BUT like i mentioned she competed in different games and tournaments to gain points and ranking which are then used to secure a place!
You are right....its their performances at the world stage which decides if they can gain access to Rio as opposed to the sport authority of each state.

Why hasn't India won a medal? So many other countries have already jumped ahead.
Vietnam has achieved their first gold in history, one in shooting.
Same with China, shooting in 1984.

I know that all 120 of these have qualified after taking part in various competitions across the world. they have made the country proud

What I am saying is suppose for a swimming event the qualification mark is 2 min 5 second. The swimmer who does in 2:04:50 will qualify based on the criteria. However if in the last olympics the Bronze medal was at 2:00:00 then is there a realistic chance for her to even qualify for the semifinal let alone the finals.

What I was saying is if last olympic bronze is at 2 minutes let us send only those who atleast have time of 2 min 2 sec

I understand fully that we have to train our atheletes well, we have to spend money on them they must have international exposure. I am NOT at all denying any of these things. But olympics is not the only international tournamnts. there are Asian games, Commonwealth games etc etc

We can also start international leagues of our own like the Hockey India League and invite international sportspersons

All these things have to be done. No denying any of these. but when you are sending someone to the biggest stage dont send those who dont have any chance

It is like you have taught someone the basics of swimming and then suddenly throw them into the deep end

Sorry I am in a bad mood seeing the performances of the athletes who are failing at the last seconds

I am proud of each and every of them but dil ka armaan hai medal tally main hone ka

I understand what you are trying to say, but if we went by that policy, we should not have sent Dipa Karmakar either, or Abbhinav Bindra to his first olympics as they would not have won a medal by their then previous records. Even if Dipa does not win a medal on the 14th (barely scraped through to the finals) she is already a popular person in India, and will inspire many people to take up Gymnastics.

Look at the story of the rower who made to the quarter finals, going by his time records, he wont win a medal for sure, or even cross qf/sf but not sending on that basis, even though he is qualified to take part in the competition would've destroyed him as he'd feel like his own govt is not supporting him and sent a wrong message to other sports people too. Now that he's atleast made it to the quarter finals, he can possibly get some sponsors to help his poor family and have something to show for his efforts, perhaps even get a coaching job, and also be thankful to the nation for giving him the chance it's the least we can do.

It's not about winning medals, it's about creating a conducive environment/ecosystem that will nurture sports people, which will then lead to medals.

Last edited:
Ind vs Arg hockey game on....
Ind leading 1 to 0 in first quarter

Half time
Ind 1 - Arg 0

Archery men single
Atanu Das of Ind beats Nepal and moves to round of 16.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom