What's new

Indian Navy’s nuke dream

SRP

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
INS Vikramaditya, the 44,570-tonne aircraft carrier, which was commissioned into the Indian Navy on November 16, 2013, will remain the Indian Navy’s largest ship for years to come. It is almost twice the size of the ageing aircraft carrier, INS Viraat, expected to be decommissioned after 2018, when it will be replaced by the 37,000-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, now being fitted out at the Kochi shipyard.

Both Vikramaditya and Vikrant will use the simpler and cheaper STOBAR or Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery system, which uses a ski-jump ramp to launch fighters with only about 180 metres of runway, and uses arrester wires for recovery of aircraft within 50 metres of landing.
The smaller aircraft carrier in service, the 28,000-tonne INS Viraat, uses STOVL or Short Take Off But Vertical Landing system. STOVL, like STOBAR, uses a ski-jump to launch an aircraft, but does not need expensive arrester wires, as the fighter aircraft has the capability to land vertically, like a helicopter.

STOVL is the simplest and cheapest option available to launch an aircraft, provided a suitable aircraft is available. Unfortunately, the only suitable modern aircraft for STOVL is the one being developed — American F35. It will cost over $200 million per aircraft at 2013 prices.
Aircraft carriers provide instant and sustained air power thousands of miles out at sea.
Both Vikramaditya and Vikrant will have a service life of about 50 years and will be capable of carrying and operating about 32 aircraft each, comprising a mix of 20 supersonic fighters — MiG 29K costing $40 million each, or the homebuilt Light Combat Aircraft costing $24 million each — and 12 helicopters.

Media reports indicate that the Indian Navy is planning to build a third aircraft carrier of about 65,000 tonnes, which may or may not be nuclear-propelled.

A total of 10 navies operate about 22 aircraft carriers. Only the US and French navies operate nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. The US Navy operates 10 nuclear-powered 100,000-tonne aircraft carriers, with each ship capable of carrying about 55 fighters, and an assortment of about 35 aircraft-cum-helicopters for other roles — anti-submarine, airborne early warning etc.

These 10 American carriers use the CATOBAR or Catapult Take-Off But Arrested Recovery system for aircraft launch in 100 metres and recovery in 50 metres. CATOBAR is a complex and the costliest option, but ensures a higher sortie rate of aircraft for various missions. The latest such American carriers like USS Ford cost $13 billion at 2013 prices and carry 90 aircraft, costing another $10 billion.

To be effective in a hostile enemy environment an aircraft carrier needs to carry at least 36 jet fighters, in addition to about 12 helicopters. This requires a ship of about 65,000 tonnes. The need for a 65,000-tonne aircraft carrier is in keeping with the trend in medium-sized navies such as Russia and China, which operate one such carrier each, and the United Kingdom, which is building two such carriers for delivery in 2016 and 2018 respectively, at an estimated cost of about $5 billion each.

Media reports indicate that the British, finding these ships and their fighter aircraft, the American F-35, to be prohibitively expensive, are ready to sell one of these carriers to India. India has apparently declined the offer in favour of indigenous construction.

While nuclear power gives a submarine total stealth by enabling it to remain submerged and practically undetectable for a patrol duration of about 90 days, it does not provide the same stealth to an aircraft carrier which is on the surface.

In addition, to avoid frequent expensive and time-consuming reactor nuclear refuelling, the American aircraft carriers refuel reactor uranium only after 25 years, by using reactors with Highly Enriched Uranium (HEU), which at over 93 per cent enrichment is weapons-grade and requires special metallurgy.

India currently does not have this capability, and its limited uranium stocks are best used for nuclear weapons and nuclear submarine propulsion. For these reasons, the next indigenous Indian aircraft carrier should be a conventionally powered STOBAR type with “affordable aircraft”, and the $2-3 billion thus saved should be used to make up the alarming and well-known shortfalls in our submarine force levels.

The writer retired as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command, Visakhapatnam

Indian Navy’s nuke dream | The Asian Age

In addition, to avoid frequent expensive and time-consuming reactor nuclear refuelling, the American aircraft carriers refuel reactor uranium only after 25 years, by using reactors with Highly Enriched Uranium (HEU), which at over 93 per cent enrichment is weapons-grade and requires special metallurgy.
India currently does not have this capability, and its limited uranium stocks are best used for nuclear weapons and nuclear submarine propulsion. For these reasons, the next indigenous Indian aircraft carrier should be a conventionally powered STOBAR type with “affordable aircraft”, and the $2-3 billion thus saved should be used to make up the alarming and well-known shortfalls in our submarine force levels.

@Capt.Popeye @sancho @Abingdonboy @sandy_3126 @OrionHunter @KRAIT and @others

Please can we have some light on what he is saying here?

INS Vikramaditya, the 44,570-tonne aircraft carrier, which was commissioned into the Indian Navy on November 16, 2013, will remain the Indian Navy’s largest ship for years to come. It is almost twice the size of the ageing aircraft carrier, INS Viraat, expected to be decommissioned after 2018, when it will be replaced by the 37,000-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, now being fitted out at the Kochi shipyard.

Both Vikramaditya and Vikrant will use the simpler and cheaper STOBAR or Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery system, which uses a ski-jump ramp to launch fighters with only about 180 metres of runway, and uses arrester wires for recovery of aircraft within 50 metres of landing.
The smaller aircraft carrier in service, the 28,000-tonne INS Viraat, uses STOVL or Short Take Off But Vertical Landing system. STOVL, like STOBAR, uses a ski-jump to launch an aircraft, but does not need expensive arrester wires, as the fighter aircraft has the capability to land vertically, like a helicopter.

STOVL is the simplest and cheapest option available to launch an aircraft, provided a suitable aircraft is available. Unfortunately, the only suitable modern aircraft for STOVL is the one being developed — American F35. It will cost over $200 million per aircraft at 2013 prices.
Aircraft carriers provide instant and sustained air power thousands of miles out at sea.
Both Vikramaditya and Vikrant will have a service life of about 50 years and will be capable of carrying and operating about 32 aircraft each, comprising a mix of 20 supersonic fighters — MiG 29K costing $40 million each, or the homebuilt Light Combat Aircraft costing $24 million each — and 12 helicopters.

Media reports indicate that the Indian Navy is planning to build a third aircraft carrier of about 65,000 tonnes, which may or may not be nuclear-propelled.

A total of 10 navies operate about 22 aircraft carriers. Only the US and French navies operate nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. The US Navy operates 10 nuclear-powered 100,000-tonne aircraft carriers, with each ship capable of carrying about 55 fighters, and an assortment of about 35 aircraft-cum-helicopters for other roles — anti-submarine, airborne early warning etc.

These 10 American carriers use the CATOBAR or Catapult Take-Off But Arrested Recovery system for aircraft launch in 100 metres and recovery in 50 metres. CATOBAR is a complex and the costliest option, but ensures a higher sortie rate of aircraft for various missions. The latest such American carriers like USS Ford cost $13 billion at 2013 prices and carry 90 aircraft, costing another $10 billion.

To be effective in a hostile enemy environment an aircraft carrier needs to carry at least 36 jet fighters, in addition to about 12 helicopters. This requires a ship of about 65,000 tonnes. The need for a 65,000-tonne aircraft carrier is in keeping with the trend in medium-sized navies such as Russia and China, which operate one such carrier each, and the United Kingdom, which is building two such carriers for delivery in 2016 and 2018 respectively, at an estimated cost of about $5 billion each.

Media reports indicate that the British, finding these ships and their fighter aircraft, the American F-35, to be prohibitively expensive, are ready to sell one of these carriers to India. India has apparently declined the offer in favour of indigenous construction.

While nuclear power gives a submarine total stealth by enabling it to remain submerged and practically undetectable for a patrol duration of about 90 days, it does not provide the same stealth to an aircraft carrier which is on the surface.

The writer retired as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command, Visakhapatnam

Indian Navy’s nuke dream | The Asian Age

Indian Navy is currently in process of freezing final design of its Second Aircraft carrier INS Vishal to be built locally in India which at 65,000-ton and with Catobar configuration will be biggest ship India has ever worked on and also be biggest in its fleet when inducted and it is likely that help of US shipyards will be sorted since they have active Catobar aircrafts carriers currently under constructions.

INS Vishal (65,000 Ton Displacement) with CATOBAR Under Development

My Best Defesne and Strategy Related Threads

@Capt.Popeye @sancho @Abingdonboy @sandy_3126 @OrionHunter @KRAIT and @others

Please can we have some light on what he is saying here?

On that particular point re: Nuclear Propulsion; he is saying that India should not be looking at nuclear propelled Carriers.

And he is right. I do not see Nuclear Propulsion in the plans of the IN for its Surface Ships, not even Carriers. There is no call for that; because IN Carriers or Surface Ships are not reqired/ will not be required for extremely long-range deployments. There is a huge difference between USN and IN doctrines in this respect.

Also the author (very correctly) highlights the financial aspects when he talks about the need to judiciously use resources. Super Carriers (the one's that need nuclear propulsion) are not part of the IN's needs.

I am in agreement with what the author says in this regard.

On that particular point re: Nuclear Propulsion; he is saying that India should not be looking at nuclear propelled Carriers.

And he is right. I do not see Nuclear Propulsion in the plans of the IN for its Surface Ships, not even Carriers. There is no call for that; because IN Carriers or Surface Ships are not reqired/ will not be required for extremely long-range deployments. There is a huge difference between USN and IN doctrines in this respect.

Also the author (very correctly) highlights the financial aspects when he talks about the need to judiciously use resources. Super Carriers (the one's that need nuclear propulsion) are not part of the IN's needs.

I am in agreement with what the author says in this regard.

I for sure had the same feeling that Nuke propulsion should be avoided. I was also drawing some references from recent reports of IN going for Nuke propulsion and some of us were cheer leading that theory.

But there is another point where he speaks of India lacking the metallurgy to deploy high weapons grade Uranium is also another point v/s sometime back DRDO chief claiming Arihant's reactor can be used for carriers as well. And recent reports came out as IN chief "considering" all types of propulsion.

I invite other members to shed some light on that aspect as well.

I for sure had the same feeling that Nuke propulsion should be avoided. I was also drawing some references from recent reports of IN going for Nuke propulsion and some of us were cheer leading that theory.

But there is another point where he speaks of India lacking the metallurgy to deploy high weapons grade Uranium is also another point v/s sometime back DRDO chief claiming Arihant's reactor can be used for carriers as well.

I invite other members to shed some light on that aspect as well.

DGND has drawn up conceptual design plans for Nuclear Propulsion that can be used on IN Surface Warships. However; that does not fit into IN's present Operation Doctrine Reqmts.

About the underlined part; India does not lack the Metallurgical expertise, India does not have the required HEU to spare for this purpose (now). You have simply not understood what the author has written. And then extrapolated on the basis of your misunderstanding.
Which is not the same thing.

DGND has drawn up conceptual design plans for Nuclear Propulsion that can be used on IN Surface Warships. However; that does not fit into IN's present Operation Doctrine Reqmts.

About the underlined part; India does not lack the Metallurgical expertise, India does not have the required HEU to spare for this purpose (now). You have simply not understood what the author has written. And then extrapolated on the basis of your misunderstanding.
Which is not the same thing.

I am curious as to know what your background is. More specifically what your career is, or was.

Defense related?

:-)

I am curious as to know what your background is. More specifically what your career is, or was.

Defense related?

:-)

LOLL; Offense related........
For whatever reasons; there are some things that I do know about.
(and many things that I do not know about)

However, I do try to talk only about the things that I know about.:-)

LOLL; Offense related........
For whatever reasons; there are some things that I do know about.
(and many things that I do not know about)

However, I do try to talk only about the things that I know about.:-)

I feel like i should be so knowledgeable abut the Indian Navy. My Father was a petty officer. More precisely a radio operator.

And like every Mallu, he went over to Middle East to work in cable & Wireless as a telecommunications guy.

So many of my Malayalee family friends too were high ranking officers in the Indian Navy, but I was more interested in the books and the super hero comics :-)

I feel like i should be so knowledgeable abut the Indian Navy. My Father was a petty officer. More precisely a radio operator.

And like every Mallu, he went over to Middle East to work in cable & Wireless as a telecommunications guy.

So many of my Malayalee family friends too were high ranking officers in the Indian Navy, but I was more interested in the books and the super hero comics :-)

Good to know that; C & W has a huge presence in the Gulf, based in Abu Dhabi mostly. Good that he sought opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom