What's new

INDIAN MRCA BID: CA JAS 39 GRIPEN CAN BE THE BEST?

MANDEEP SINGH

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hello everyboby! This is my first post.I am a young guy interested in military and defence so PLZ correct me if i posted anything wrong.
A lot has been written about INDIA'S MMRCA tender but no clear favourite has emerged. All the blogs, sites and people have their own favourites.
What I want to know is that why JAS 39 GRIPEN can be best buy for INDIA ?
Some facts we need to keep in mind:
1.The tender is for 126 aircrafts (+64 if required),
2.It aims at replacing the age old MIG 21,
3.INDIA already has one of the finest air superiority fightetrs SU 30MKI (PLZ don't include F 22 RAPTOR).

This is what GRIPEN offers:
Following submission of the Saab/Gripen team’s bid Eddy de la Motte, Gripen International’s India Campaign Director said “By choosing Gripen IN, India will receive an affordable world class weapons system that will enhance India’s military operational capability and industrial defence base well into the future and in addition, will create independent capabilities right from the word go”.

“Gripen IN will provide India with a capability that offers complete independence of weapon supply. In addition, Gripen IN comes with the guarantee that we are committed to ensuring that India will have the fighter that the Indian Air Force wants” he continued.

“We will do this by transferring all necessary technologies to enable Indian industry and the Air Force to build, operate and modify Gripen to meet all indigenous requirements over time. Gripen IN has huge future growth potential for India to harness to the maximum extent, ensuring that this fighter above all others, will stay in the lead as future technology brings yet greater effectiveness and firepower” he continued.

“Gripen is fully operational today and with the total long-term commitment and support of the Swedish government, I believe that Gripen IN will provide the basis for significant future Indian and international co-operative programmes in future”.

Gripen IN is a tailored version of the Gripen NG next generation fighter, which includes increased combat range and endurance, additional weapons carriage capability and increased payload, the more powerful General Electric F414G engine and supercruise capability

Other strengths include a wide choice of integrated weapons and pods; reasonable purchase cost; the fact that it has been designed for exceptional cost of ownership; and the ability operate from roads instead of runways if necessary. With respect to industrial offsets, Saab has made a strong offer, backed by excellent record in countries like South Africa, Hungary, The Czech Republic etc.

As an interesting side note, the JAS-39NG’s use of GE’s F414G engine could create future commonality with the Kaveri engine’s successor. The Tejas LCA will use GE’s F404 engines until an Indian substitute is ready, and GE’s F414 is one of 2 engines under consideration as the basis for the Tejas Mk2’s power plant.

Gripen is offering a comprehensive Transfer of Technology (ToT) programme, ensuring access and transfer of technology to enable India to manage all aspects of the life cycle for the Gripen IN.

Gripen also offers a reliable, innovative, cost-effective and life-time logistics support solution sourced from Indian suppliers with support from Saab and its partners. State-of-the-art training facilities that combine synthetic training aids and real fighters, for the training of pilots and maintenance personnel.

THE FACT FILE:

The Saab JAS 39 Gripen (English: Griffin) is a fighter aircraft manufactured by the Swedish aerospace company Saab. Gripen International acts as a prime contracting organisation and is responsible for marketing, selling and supporting the Gripen fighter around the world.

The aircraft is in service with the Swedish Air Force, the Czech Air Force, the Hungarian Air Force and the South African Air Force, and has been ordered by the Royal Thai Air Force. A total of 236 Gripens have been ordered as of 2008.

General characteristics
Price per unit: 40-60 million $
Crew: 1 (2 for JAS 39B/D)
Length: 14.1 m (46 ft 3 in)
Wingspan: 8.4 m (27 ft 7 in)
Height: 4.5 m (14 ft 9 in)
Wing area: 30.0 m² (323 ft²)
Empty weight: 5,700 kg (14,600 lb)
Loaded weight: 8,500 kg (18,700 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 14,000 kg (31,000 lb)
Powerplant: 1× Volvo Aero RM12 afterburning turbofan
Dry thrust: 54 kN (12,100 lbf)
Thrust with afterburner: 80.5 kN (18,100 lbf)
Wheel track: 2.4 m (7 ft 10 in)
Length (two-seater): 14.8 m (48 ft 5 in)

Performance:

Maximum speed:
At altitude: Mach 2 (2,130 km/h, 1,320 mph)
Combat radius: 800 km (500 mi, 432 nmi)
Ferry range: 3,200 km (2,000 mi) with drop tanks
Service ceiling: 15,240 m (50,000 ft)
Wing loading: 336 kg/m² (68.8 lb/ft²)
Thrust/weight: 0.97

Armament
1 × 27 mm Mauser BK-27 cannon 120 rounds
6 × Rb.74 (AIM-9) or Rb 98 (IRIS-T)
4 × Rb.99 (AIM-120) or MICA
4 x Rb.71 (Skyflash) or Meteor
4 x Rb.75
2 x KEPD.350
4 x GBU-12 Paveway II laser-guided bomb
4 x rocket pods 13.5 cm rockets
2 x Rbs.15F anti-ship missile
2 x Bk.90 cluster bomb
8 x Mark 82 bombs
1 x ALQ-TLS ECM pod

I feel JAS 39 GRIPEN suits the needs of INDIA
My ouestion:
1.What is your opinion about JAS 39 GRIPEN keeping above req. in mind ?
2.If INDIA increase its req. from 126 planes to 200,we can afford multiple vendors.In such a case what combination do you suggest ?
3.If you have to take decision what will be your choice ?
PLEASE senior members share your opinion......

Back
Top Bottom