Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Major faces ‘goat martial’

Harish V Nair, Hindustan Times

New Delhi, September 19, 2008

First Published: 00:21 IST(19/9/2008)
Last Updated: 19:11 IST(19/9/2008)

Call it his hobby or a shortcut to quick buck. Army Major and a Commandant of a regiment Manjeet Ahluwalia is in deep trouble for a weird crime he committed while posted at Ramsar in Rajasthan in 1983.

He stole nearly 200 goats and sheep using his unit vehicle on numerous occasions and sold them. A court martial set up soon after villagers complained to the police found him guilty of “theft”.
He was “cashiered” (dismissal and denial of service benefits) and sentenced him to two years imprisonment.

On Thursday, 25 years later, the Delhi High Court rejected his appeal saying “looking at the status of petitioner who was in fact a Major and was even commander of a regiment at the relevant point of time punishment imposed on cannot be considered disproportionate”.

A Bench of Justices SK Kaul and Moolchand Garg was reacting to Ahluwalia’s contention that the sentence was “excess and discriminatory”.

“We find no infirmity in the order passed by the General Court Martial (GCM)…perusal of the chargesheet shows the charges are clear and unambiguous”, said the judges.

Army counsel Jyoti Singh had told the court “being the commanding officer of a unit, Ahluwalia was expected to set examples for the other personnel.

When he should have become a role model, he was indulging in such embarrassing crime. The exemplary punishment is fully justified”.

Ahluwalia had approached the court saying the proceeding of General Court Martial was “void” as it was not convened by appropriate authority but by a junior officer.

Major faces ?goat martial?- Hindustan Times

Hahahahahaha lol lol boys of india how damn funny thx Jana dear u made my day with this news iam sure the Doc agress with me!

Hahahahahaha lol lol boys of india how damn funny thx Jana dear u made my day with this news iam sure the Doc agress with me!

:D the doc will agree dear but holy cow where will i run now Indians will be grining at me.

partayyyyyy :partay:

well laughs are good for health guys, keep it up,but fact is that this article shows the neutrality and tranparancy of indian judicial and media, unlike Pakistan where i doubt u'll get a single clue if ur ranger would sold all his battallions' artillary, or even have dare to make it publicise...

well laughs are good for health guys, keep it up,but fact is that this article shows the neutrality and tranparancy of indian judicial and media,

And this article also shows that an Indian army Commandant of a regiment can stoop that low ;)

Ah ha my dear well honestly speaking our Armymen do not sell goats :P

Sorry i never wanted to laugh over this but as you have came up with defending the act by calling shots on others that too without proofs so i had to give some relief to my lungs too.

So my dear neelvick this is not the first time that Indian armymen have been found guilty of shamful scames. In the past Indian army officers have been accused of selling the ration meant for the forces, guess how it feels when an officer sells pulses and grains.

Anyway this one is classic

Stealing goats :P

unlike Pakistan where i doubt u'll get a single clue if ur ranger would sold all his battallions' artillary, or even have dare to make it publicise...

If you have any clue please do let us know.

Hope by selling battalion's artillary you dont mean goats :lol:

well laughs are good for health guys, keep it up,but fact is that this article shows the neutrality and tranparancy of indian judicial and media, unlike Pakistan where i doubt u'll get a single clue if ur ranger would sold all his battallions' artillary, or even have dare to make it publicise...

Cut the crap.

Neutrality and transparency of indian judicial comes into question when your indian intelligence officials try to sexually assault a fellow director and then she is declared mentally sick by the agency. She cries and tells every one but no one bloody listens.

Try to come up with these comments when justice has been served to Nisha Priya Bhatia.

If you have any clue please do let us know.

Hope by selling battalion's artillary you dont mean goats :lol:

By battalion's artillary i really mean artillary. Here's a post for u dear Jana:-

A Pakistani contingent was accused of selling gold and guns between 2005 and 2006 to Congolese militia groups they were meant to disarm.

The BBC's UN correspondent, Laura Trevelyan, says that although the UN can send misbehaving peacekeepers home, the countries that provide the troops are responsible for their conduct.

The Pakistani battalion at the centre of the claims was based in and around the mining town of Mongbwalu, in the north-east of the country, in 2005.

They helped bring peace to an area that had previously seen bitter fighting between the Lendu and Hema ethnic groups.

But witnesses said Pakistani officers had also supplied weapons to notorious militia commanders in return for gold.

The UN began a major investigation after being alerted by Human Rights Watch in late 2005.

A UN official connected with the inquiry has previously told the BBC there seemed to have been a plan to bury the results, in order to avoid alienating Pakistan - the largest contributor of troops to the UN.

source : news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6896881.stm

By battalion's artillary i really mean artillary. Here's a post for u dear Jana:-

A Pakistani contingent was accused of selling gold and guns between 2005 and 2006 to Congolese militia groups they were meant to disarm.

The BBC's UN correspondent, Laura Trevelyan, says that although the UN can send misbehaving peacekeepers home, the countries that provide the troops are responsible for their conduct.

The Pakistani battalion at the centre of the claims was based in and around the mining town of Mongbwalu, in the north-east of the country, in 2005.

They helped bring peace to an area that had previously seen bitter fighting between the Lendu and Hema ethnic groups.

But witnesses said Pakistani officers had also supplied weapons to notorious militia commanders in return for gold.

The UN began a major investigation after being alerted by Human Rights Watch in late 2005.

A UN official connected with the inquiry has previously told the BBC there seemed to have been a plan to bury the results, in order to avoid alienating Pakistan - the largest contributor of troops to the UN.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: awww dear neelvic you forgot to google for the Indian army which was also accused of the same in the same UN Mission.

BTW come back to the theft of goats by Indian commandant :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Indian Army along with the Pakistani contingent were accused of this. Both have denied the accusations. Here is a link for you:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7492485.stm

Another one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7367965.stm

"article shows the neutrality and tranparancy of indian judicial and media, unlike Pakistan where i doubt u'll get a single clue if ur ranger would sold all his battallions' artillary, or even have dare to make it publicise...

There you go assuming things. In Pakistan too, Pakistan Army act is in effect. You talk about selling artillery like its a joke. A Jawan misplacing a component of his rifle is liable and can be subject to court martial. Don't assume that military justice or civil justice only works in India.

Indian Army along with the Pakistani contingent were accused of this. Both have denied the accusations. Here is a link for you:
BBC NEWS | Africa | UN troops in Congo gold warning

There you go assuming things. In Pakistan too, Pakistan Army act is in effect. You talk about selling artillery like its a joke. A Jawan misplacing a component of his rifle is liable and can be subject to court martial. Don't assume that military justice or civil justice only works in India.

blainy dear had you ever heard that a high ranking Pakistani army officer has ever stolen goats ??? :what:

I recall there was also news of selling even bhoosa by Indian armymen :P

Here is the one for you dear neelvick and it didn't happen in 2005. It happened in 2008.

South African accuses Indian peacekeepers of rape & trading in gold and guns

NEW DELHI: In a major embarrassment to the Army, three of its officers, including a Lieutenant Colonel, presently deputed as UN peacekeepers in Congo, have been accused of raping a woman in South Africa.

The alleged incident occurred while the officers were holidaying there. The Defence Ministry has already ordered a probe into the matter.

"We have ordered an enquiry into the incident," Defence Minister AK Antony said on the sidelines of an Indian Air Force function here on Tuesday.

Sources, however, indicated that the woman, who accused these officers, withdrew her complaint within hours as a result of which no case was filed against them by the South African police.

The three Indian officers -- a Lieutenant Colonel and two Majors -- were deployed in North Kivu Brigade of the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

They were detained by the South African Police last week after a woman in Pretoria alleged that she was raped by them. The three officers were on a holiday there.

The Indian High Commission in South Africa has sent a detailed report on the incident to the Ministry of External Affairs and Ministry of Defence, in which it has been said that no charges had been registered against the officers.

There are currently some 17,600 peacekeepers in DRC -- almost a quarter of them Indian -- overseeing the transition from a devastating civil war in which millions died.

Indian peacekeepers in the DRC have also been accused of trading in gold and guns with Congolese militia they were meant to be disarming.

:whistle:

lolzz it has been turned into a match i was just being amuzed by the wonderful use of word "Goat" by the newspaper

Goat Martial classic headline :tup:

blainy dear had you ever heard that a high ranking Pakistani army officer has ever stolen goats ??? :what:

I recall there was also news of selling even bhoosa by Indian armymen :P

The Indian Army should take a cue from the fauji foundation in Pak so that its offrs do not have to resort to such petty forms of corruption. Once done in a more organised & streamlined manner as is done by the foundation I guess these instances will stop.

In any case why is everyone gloating over it ? It was only the upholdng of decsion by a civilian court of taken years ago ( in 1983) by the Military court.

We people are so focused on making fun at each others discomfortiture that we haven't the time to apply ourselves to MAJOR shake ups that happen in our Sub Continent - Marriot & New delhi for one.

One day they will reach your & my door step. Any amount of snide remarks will not help then.

Last edited:

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom