What's new

Indian Forces lost 35 aircraft, 14 pilots in crashes since ’14

BHarwana

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NEW DELHI: The Indian armed forces have lost as many as 35 aircraft, including 11 helicopters, and 14 pilots in crashes just since 2014-2015, the government told Parliament on Wednesday.
If figures from 2011 onwards are taken into account, the IAF, Army and Navy have recorded accidents of around 70 aircraft and helicopters, which have killed over 80 people, reinforcing the unusually high crash rate. These include over 30 fighters, including at least five twin-engine Sukhoi-30MKIs, the country's latest and the most potent jets.

"Various preventive measures are being taken, including invigoration of the Aviation Safety Organization, streamlining of the accident reporting procedure, analytical studies and quality audits of the aircraft fleets to identify vulnerable areas to avoid accidents," said minister of state for defence Subhash Bhamre, in a written reply to Lok Sabha on Wednesday.

"Accident prevention programmes have been given an added thrust to identify risk prone or hazardous areas specific to the aircraft fleets and operational environment to ensure safe practices and procedures," he added.

The two major reasons identified for the different crashes are "technical defects" and "human error". In other words, ageing aircraft and poor maintenance, coupled with inadequate pilot training, contribute to the high crash rate.

Though training of pilots is also regularly reviewed to stay abreast of the latest teaching techniques and utilization of state-of-art training aids, the lack of a concerted modernization drive to replace ageing aircraft remains a major problem.

The armed forces, for instance, desperately require 484 light helicopters to replace their obsolete single-engine Cheetah/Chetak fleets, which were first inducted in the early-1970s and have been dogged by a high crash rate and serviceability problems for the last several years. Such helicopters are used for reconnaissance and servicing forward areas like the Siachen Glacier-Saltoro Ridge region.

But the long-pending joint production of 200 Kamov-226T light-utility helicopters for around $1 billion (over Rs 6,500 crore) between India and Russia is yet to kick off. This much-delayed project for the light utility helicopters is considered crucial because India's endeavour to buy 197 such choppers from abroad has been scrapped three times over the last decade due to corruption allegations and technical deviations.

Defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics is also yet to begin delivering the 187 similar light helicopters it was supposed to make "within 60 months" when the project was sanctioned by the Cabinet Committee on Security in February 2009.

HAL says this indigenous three-tonne helicopter with a glass cockpit, whose design configuration is in the process of being frozen, will be capable of flying at 220 Kmph, with a service ceiling of 6.5 Km and a range of 350 Km with 400 kg payload. It will be deployed for reconnaissance and surveillance roles as well as serve as a light transport helicopter.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...lots-since-2014-2015/articleshow/62180084.cms

NEW DELHI: The Indian armed forces have lost as many as 35 aircraft, including 11 helicopters, and 14 pilots in crashes just since 2014-2015, the government told Parliament on Wednesday.
If figures from 2011 onwards are taken into account, the IAF, Army and Navy have recorded accidents of around 70 aircraft and helicopters, which have killed over 80 people, reinforcing the unusually high crash rate. These include over 30 fighters, including at least five twin-engine Sukhoi-30MKIs, the country's latest and the most potent jets.

"Various preventive measures are being taken, including invigoration of the Aviation Safety Organization, streamlining of the accident reporting procedure, analytical studies and quality audits of the aircraft fleets to identify vulnerable areas to avoid accidents," said minister of state for defence Subhash Bhamre, in a written reply to Lok Sabha on Wednesday.

"Accident prevention programmes have been given an added thrust to identify risk prone or hazardous areas specific to the aircraft fleets and operational environment to ensure safe practices and procedures," he added.

The two major reasons identified for the different crashes are "technical defects" and "human error". In other words, ageing aircraft and poor maintenance, coupled with inadequate pilot training, contribute to the high crash rate.

Though training of pilots is also regularly reviewed to stay abreast of the latest teaching techniques and utilization of state-of-art training aids, the lack of a concerted modernization drive to replace ageing aircraft remains a major problem.

The armed forces, for instance, desperately require 484 light helicopters to replace their obsolete single-engine Cheetah/Chetak fleets, which were first inducted in the early-1970s and have been dogged by a high crash rate and serviceability problems for the last several years. Such helicopters are used for reconnaissance and servicing forward areas like the Siachen Glacier-Saltoro Ridge region.

But the long-pending joint production of 200 Kamov-226T light-utility helicopters for around $1 billion (over Rs 6,500 crore) between India and Russia is yet to kick off. This much-delayed project for the light utility helicopters is considered crucial because India's endeavour to buy 197 such choppers from abroad has been scrapped three times over the last decade due to corruption allegations and technical deviations.

Defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics is also yet to begin delivering the 187 similar light helicopters it was supposed to make "within 60 months" when the project was sanctioned by the Cabinet Committee on Security in February 2009.

HAL says this indigenous three-tonne helicopter with a glass cockpit, whose design configuration is in the process of being frozen, will be capable of flying at 220 Kmph, with a service ceiling of 6.5 Km and a range of 350 Km with 400 kg payload. It will be deployed for reconnaissance and surveillance roles as well as serve as a light transport helicopter.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...lots-since-2014-2015/articleshow/62180084.cms

India needs to check what the hell is going the number is way to high

Forces lost 35 aircraft, 14 pilots in crashes since ’14

TNN | Dec 21, 2017, 07:24 IST
iafs-sukhoi-30-fighter-aircraft-crashes-near-pune.jpg

NEW DELHI: The armed forces have lost 35 aircraft, including 11 helicopters, and 14 pilots in crashes since 2014-2015, the government told Parliament on Wednesday.

Since 2011, the IAF, Army and Navy recorded accidents of around 70 aircraft and helicopters, which killed over 80 persons, reinforcing the unusually high crash rate. These included over 30 fighters, among them at least five twin-engine Sukhoi-30MKIs, the country's latest and most potent jets.

"Various preventive measures are being taken, including invigoration of the Aviation Safety Organisation, streamlining of the accident reporting procedure, analytical studies and quality audits of the aircraft fleets to identify vulnerable areas to avoid accidents," minister of state for defence Subhash Bhamre said in a reply in Lok Sabha. "Accident prevention programmes have been given an added thrust to identify risk prone or hazardous areas specific to the aircraft fleets and operational environment to ensure safe practices and procedures," he added.

Though courts of inquiry are conducted into all crashes to ascertain the exact cause, the two major reasons identified for the accidents are "technical defects" and "human error". In other words, aging aircraft and poor maintenance, coupled with inadequate pilot training, contribute to the high crash rate.
Though training of pilots is regularly reviewed to stay abreast of the latest teaching techniques and use of state-of-the-art training aids, the lack of a modernisation drive to replace aging aircraft remains a big problem. The forces require 484 light helicopters to replace obsolete singleengine Cheetah/Chetak fleets

Already posted it but these are heavy losses. Many result of poor management to keep these jets maintained. I always wondered why Pakistan was not investing much in anti air now I think I have received my answer there is no need Indian Air force falls with out the help of SAMs. Truly a great quality of Indian Air force.

It is nothing for "the super rich power" which is "super population power" as well, they will buy new from Russia and France. Let's focus on our JF17 blk III :)

Lost more than a squadron since 2014?

Who says Pakistan needs to fight a war?

Already posted it but these are heavy losses. Many result of poor management to keep these jets maintained. I always wondered why Pakistan was not investing much in anti air now I think I have received my answer there is no need Indian Air force falls with out the help of SAMs. Truly a great quality of Indian Air force.

It is nothing for "the super rich power" which is "super population power" as well, they will buy new from Russia and France. Let's focus on our JF17 blk III :)

Lost more than a squadron since 2014?

Who says Pakistan needs to fight a war?

Somali Airforce V.2
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Since 2014 as per above data, Indian military lost 21 fighter-jets and 11 helicopters; in the same period Pakistan military lost 17 fighter jets and 8 helicopters i.e. a ratio of 1.24:1 & 1.38:1 respectively.

Now as IAF is 1.8x to 2.0x PAFs size, So PAF crash rate is far worse than IAF.

Since 2014 as per above data, Indian military lost 21 fighter-jets and 11 helicopters; in the same period Pakistan military lost 17 fighter jets and 8 helicopters i.e. a ratio of 1.24:1 & 1.38:1 respectively.

Now as IAF is 1.8x to 2.0x PAFs size, So PAF crash rate is far worse than IAF.
When was the last time, the IAF or IA flew in a combat mission apart from their usual training exercises.
Now compare that with what PAF and PA has been doing for the last decade.

When was the last time, the IAF or IA flew in a combat mission apart from their usual training exercises.
So PAF and PA are losing fighter fighting in combat? Against whom may I ask? Who are its adversaries and what fighters/bombers/AA weapons do they use?

I dont know about your training really, but i live near an AFB, hint- its in Maha. And the amount of sortie these guys take is just too much, its irritating tbh. My love for AF is not so much due to that.:(

So PAF and PA are losing fighter fighting in combat? Against whom may I ask? Who are its adversaries and what fighters/bombers/AA weapons do they use?
Not very bright are you.....did i say they lost aircraft to any adversaries....but flying extra sorties with weapon load does add stress plus wear and tear on the air frame....now is that too difficult for you to comprehend.

Back
Top Bottom