What's new

'Indian economy expected to reach $ 6 trillion by 2020'

ChineseTiger1986

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
COIMBATORE: Former ISRO chairman and Planning Commission member K Kasturirangan today said if India sustains a nine per cent GDP growth then by 2020 its economy is expected to approach $ six trillion.

Kasturirangan said that the size of Indian economy would expand close to $ 1.8 trillion in the next 2-3 years.

"If the present expectations which are reasonable and realistic, fructify, India is poised to become a world power," he said.

"If we maintain the present rate of growth of GDP at around nine per cent, by the end of the present decade, 2020, this economy is expected to approach $ six trillion, with per capita GDP crossing $ 4,500 from the present $ 1,500", Kasturirangan said in his Graduation Day address at Kumaraguru College of Technology here.

"If all goes well," the economy could even grow to 9-10 $ trillion and per capita income could rise to in excess of $ 6,000 by 2025, he said.

Talking about India's space programme, Kasturirangan said since its inception, the secret behind its success has been "team work".

"India is globally recognised today as a significant space faring nation. This is the result of teamwork in facing several challenges squarely and maintaining focus on our goals," he said.

In the case of India, the role of technology is important since we became independent from colonial rule only about six decades ago and the need for development on several fronts is acute, he said.

'Indian economy expected to reach $ 6 trillion by 2020' - The Economic Times

Yay a chinese member posts something good about India. Chi-Chen!! ( isn't that thank you in Madarin? please correct me if I am wrong)

I think this is a much more sane prediction than "India will rule the world by 2050".

Predicting nine years down the road is okay. Half a century is not.

India is developing very fast ... same as China

World is changing very fast ..... After 2020 we have 3 countries from Asia in top 5 GDP of world

1.09^10 = 2.36736367

$1.43 T x 2.36736367 = $3.38 T

Unless they expect capital appreciation then I don't know how that will affect GDP.

1.09^10 = 2.36736367

$1.43 T x 2.36736367 = $3.38 T

Unless they expect capital appreciation then I don't know how that will affect GDP.

It is just like China. Remember back in 2000, China's GDP was roughly 1 trillion, now it is 5.88 trillion.

India for now it is 1.4 trillion, reaching 6 trillion by 2020 is definitely doable. I already predicted that back in last year.

The 'If's are big 'if's.
More accurate prediction would be, "the gap between rich and poor will quadruple by 2020". Almost all the Indians in this forum drool over numbers... wonder why can't they see the Shaukat Aziz in Manmohan Singh.

It is just like China. Remember back in 2000, China's GDP was roughly 1 trillion, now it is 5.88 trillion.

India for now it is 1.4 trillion, reaching 6 trillion by 2020 is definitely doable. I already predicted that back in last year.

How much of the 6 trillion will be composed of robber barons and oligarchs? Or exported to Switzerland? Cautious optimism only.

China's GDP grew because of capital appreciation right?

NM the graph might be in PPP

The 'If's are big 'if's.
More accurate prediction would be, "the gap between rich and poor will quadruple by 2020". Almost all the Indians in this forum drool over numbers... wonder why can't they see the Shaukat Aziz in Manmohan Singh.

In economics, there is something called the Lorenz curve. Basically, as a country's economy grows, inequality will also grow, but will eventually decline as growth contracts.
lorenz_curve.gif

All rapidly-growing economies go through this phase. China, for example, has a much higher Gini than India.

China's GDP grew because of capital appreciation right?

Wait a minute... China's GDP wasn't 1 trillion in 2000 it was 3 T.

China_india_gdp.jpg

Stronger RMB makes China's GDP in USD a bit higher.

If we take the GDP in RMB currency, then we had 8 trillion yuan back in 2000, and 40 trillion yuan in 2010. The five times difference means even if RMB didn't appreciate from 2000, today's Chinese GDP would still be around 5 trillion.

I don't know much the currency trend of the Rupee, if they don't have a strong appreciation trend, maybe it gonna be less than 6 trillion by 2020.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom