What's new

Indian democracy admirable: Oz PM

Gossipmonger

Reaction score
Washington: At a time when people in the Middle East are making moves to steer the region towards democracy, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard Thursday said that the world admired India's example as a true democracy.

"Momentous as the changes in the Middle East are, I believe it is in the Asia-Pacific where the global order is changing the most. We admire India's example as a true democracy," Gillard said in her address to the joint session of the US Congress.

"We never forget Indonesia's transition to create the world's third-largest democracy in the world's largest Islamic country. We applaud China's lifting some 500 million people out of poverty. The centre of global strategic and economic weight is shifting to this region. The rise of the Asia-Pacific will define our times," she said.

Gillard acknowledged that Australia's relationship with China is important and complex.

"We encourage China to engage as a good global citizen, and we are clear-eyed about where differences do lie.

My guiding principle is that prosperity can be shared," she said. "Our growing engagement with key countries in the region, like Japan, India, South Korea and Indonesia, is enormously welcome.

Gillard, who is on her first official visit to the US after becoming Australia's first woman Prime Minister said, "We will work closely with you to strengthen the fabric of these relationships and underpin regional stability, strengthening regional institutions, so that the countries of the Asia-Pacific increasingly manage the frictions of a growing and changing Asia-Pacific".

Gillard said new global realities and the emerging economic weight of countries like China, India and Brazil meant the vital forum for the global response was the leaders of the G-20 nations.

"My predecessor, Kevin Rudd, worked hard to ensure this was so. The world needed a global response to the economic crisis, and global leadership was vital. Together the G-20 coordinated USD 5 trillion in fiscal stimulus for the global economy," she said.

"While there has been very real pain, the global response averted true economic disaster. Economic stimulus has been crucial to limit the worst effects of the downturn.

Economic reform is crucial now to deliver the best hopes for a strong recovery," she added.

Indian democracy admirable: Oz PM

Do we need her certificate?
Yeah thats what i was going to write...
Who cares what Australia thinks...???/

Send us the Uranium lady. You can admire us slowly after.
Yeah.....But actually we don't need Australia, we have now tie up from almost all major nuclear countries, we are receiving fuel from Kazakhstan and Russia and we have a long term agreement with them.
Ye saale Australian apne aap line mein aa jayenge.

I presume it is because India's system of government has been steady compared to the instability and turmoil that has rocked Asian countries and that democracy continues to be in place with elections being held regularly without break.

Possibly it also because India's democratic institutions are also in place and have required no tinkering. its Armed Forces not giving reasons for not having a good night's sleep and its economy and progress under control.

There have been ups and downs too, but then they are within limits of the tolerance quotient of a democracy.

indian democracy is not perfect. cast politics, reservation and corruption is actually killing our country like a slow poisen.

the sooner we awake from our deep slumber that better it is for us.

indian democracy is not perfect. cast politics, reservation and corruption is actually killing our country like a slow poisen.

the sooner we awake from our deep slumber that better it is for us.
It will take time...we are a very young democracy as compared to others who preach us the lessons of democracy and we have most complex social and religious system than any other country in the world.

It’s because of our people. No matter how much corrupt we are. We have enough tolerance and respect for each others. Indians have great family values.
We have great legacy of saints, warriors and we claim one of the oldest cultural heritage of this planet.
I can sit and criticize wrong things with my Hindu, Muslim and Christian friends without my head chopped.
Despite of all good things we have gang of corrupt politician and un-updated governing system. But thanks to free media. We are becoming more aware and attentive.
We need to make our people more educated so that they can ask question. They can claim what they deserve.
Proud be an INDIAN.

JAI HIND.:tup:

if you look at successful Asian countries, the pattern is not difficult to see:

1. Japan, developed before WWII, well before becoming a democracy.
2. Korea, was run by some army generals when it hosted the 1988 Olympic game, now it is a economic powerhouse and a real democracy.
3. Taiwan, was not a democracy until 1990s, at that time its economy was even better than South Korea's.
4. Singapore, typical dictatorship regime as of writing.
5. Hong Kong, never a democracy.

the other side of "examples" are also clear to me:

1. india, GDP capita is $1000, damn poor, you don't want you kid to grow up in such a dump site.
2. Philippine, damn poor, you need armed guards for your tiny shops on capital streets.
3. Mongolia, damn poor, people there are trying best to escape to China's inner Mongolia to have better jobs and lives.
4. the list of democratic losers in asia goes much longer.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

No way. Democracy is our power. There is no other system better suites us. But we need lots f changes in our system and democracy.

you are absolutely right.

see my post above.

I
I can sit and criticize wrong things with my Hindu, Muslim and Christian friends without my head chopped.

please don't fool yourself, Mumbai got attacked for a reason and the entire world knows the reason is linked to the repression of Muslim in india.

Back
Top Bottom