What's new

Indian copy of angkor wat irritates Cambodia

Hafizzz

Reaction score
indian copy of angkor wat irritates Cambodia
Khmerization

PHNOM PENH -- The Cambodian government said Wednesday the decision by a Hindu trust to build a full-scale replica in India of the Angkor Wat temple was a shameful act.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said imitating Cambodia's best-known structure and key tourist draw was a deliberate attempt to undermine its universal value.

“Angkor Wat is Angkor Wat, it is unique,” he said of the 12th-century temple that was listed as a World Heritage site in 1992.

“They are raising this to be confrontational (and) it is provocative of the World Heritage principle,” he said. “We won't let anyone confuse the world that there are two Angkor Wats.”

The Bihar Mahavir Mandir Trust, a Hindu organization, reportedly started work Monday on a US$20 million stone replica in India's eastern state of Bihar.

Phay Siphan said Phnom Penh would raise its concerns with the Indian government.

“(The two nations) have good relations and good cooperation, so we are looking for that to solve this issue,” he said, adding that there was little chance the Indian copy would damage tourism.

“The tourists who come to visit Angkor Wat are not seeing it simply as a stone building,” Phay Siphan said. “They come here to see the culture and to learn.”

Angkor Wat attracted nearly 3 million foreign tourists last year. The temple, which appears on the flag, is a centerpiece of national identity and pride.

Although Cambodia is today a predominantly Buddhist nation, Angkor Wat, near the northwestern city of Siem Reap, was built as a Hindu temple.

it is a private concern...if there is a Heritage violation the government will see to it...

Angkor Vat is a beautiful place, and if some one wants to reuse the design, then they must seek appropriate permissions for them.

interestingly it is itself inspired from Dravidian architecture...having Shaiv, Vaishnav, and Buddhist sites.

A full scale replica of Ankor Wat..seems a tall order to follow. I think it will end up as the Taj Mahal replica in BD.

I'm with the Cambodians on this one, that temple is present on their flag, it represents their identity in a way.

Wouldn't mind if the temple is built inspired by Ankhor Wat Architechture.

Atleast places of worship should be spared from this dick measuring contest

I'm with the Cambodians on this one, that temple is present on their flag, it represents their identity in a way.

Wouldn't mind if the temple is built inspired by Ankhor Wat Architechture.

Atleast places of worship should be spared from this dick measuring contest

you don't make any sense.

Its my assumption that the people, making a slightly bigger replica of Anghor Wat, is with intention to have the largest Hindu temple in the world in India, considering that Anghor Wat currently holds that position.

replica is always as a replica. never the original. smaller or larger.

It was better they have decided to made a temple inspired by the original not an exact copy.
India have a very rich Architecture and history ,It was more wise if that organization decided to
build a temple based on their own historical architecture and if they wanted they could inspired
from the Cambodian temple ,but an outright copy is a little questionable .

Its my assumption that the people, making a slightly bigger replica of Anghor Wat, is with intention to have the largest Hindu temple in the world in India, considering that Anghor Wat currently holds that position.

Not biggest, but tallest.

The Mahavir Mandir Trust says its £12.5 million project will result in the world's tallest Hindu temple, standing 222 feet, or five stories, when finished in 10 years. It will still be slightly smaller than the famed Cambodian complex now used for Buddhist ceremonies.
Trust Secretary Acharya Kishore Kunal said Tuesday that the new complex, located about 25 miles outside the Bihar state capital of Patna, will be named Angkor Nagar, using the Hindi word for "city."
Its Cambodian predecessor, which is a Unesco world heritage site, was originally built in the early 1100s to worship the Hindu god Vishnu. The replica however will have Ram as the main deity, with his consort Sita.
Mr Kunal conducted the temple's groundbreaking ceremony on Monday.
Speaking to the Guardian, he said: "Someone told me the Cambodians are upset that I'm creating a replica of Angkor War. But why should they? If the Taj Mahal is recreated in he UK, we won't mind. We'll feel happy."

India to build replica of Cambodia's Angkor Wat - Telegraph

Still though, why make an outright copy when we have enough Dravidian architecture of our own for inspiration?

An_aerial_view_of_Madurai_city_from_atop_of_Meenakshi_Amman_temple.jpg

Meenakshi Amman temple - I'd rather they drew inspiration from this.

Back
Top Bottom