What's new

Indian colleges ban jeans to 'protect' girls

Wait till the student body starts protesting, the ban will go away. Private Eng colleges in Tamil nadu have insipid rules and unfortunately they don't have student elected bodies to protect student from outrageous rules. Moreover, Lucknow and Tamil nadu are pretty conservative states. This won't happen in Delhi Uni, Mumbai Uni or in any of the other major universities in India.

am shoked! In india! come on, no way....

When we do it, it some how related to fundamentalism and out of fear from terrorism but when they do it, it's pure protectionism.

******* hypocrite. Get the **** out of here....

The difference Zakir is that in India, government colleges have student bodies who don't stand for such BS. This would not happen in Pakistan. As Salman Rushdie says in Midnights Children, Pakistan is the only country where students protest so that the government can enforce more restrictions.

as for dress code ...its the right of the university to have them.

No it isnt right for colleges to have them. Colleges have no right to tell people how to dress.

We have had similar threads before, for both India & Pakistan & I guess most of the posters agreed on one thing.

Don't care when educational institutions are enforcing their laws about the dress code.

Of course, there should not be any bans on talking to boys & things like that, but dress code is definitely something which is well within their own rules & regulations.

Private companies as well do not allow objectionalble clothes. Are they being 'protectionists' too?

Yes, but within limits and reason.

Not allowing girls and boys to talk is beyond the limits of what constitutes decorum - even in conservative Tamilnadu.

And asking women to not wear Jeans because men ogle at them is beyond reason (Men should be stopped, if they intrude on others lives, not women).

No it isnt right for colleges to have them. Colleges have no right to tell people how to dress.[/QUOTE]

its called grooming up - if the code is in professional col's (engg and medics)

say you are seriously ill .....and you go to a hospital associated with a medical col.... now would you even trust your health with a girl who comes with a mini's and jeans an claims to be a doc coz she has a steathascope in her hands ? ........

as for banning jean to prevent eve teasing - i am against it.....

its called grooming up - if the code is in professional col's (engg and medics)

say you are seriously ill .....and you go to a hospital associated with a medical col.... now would you even trust your health with a girl who comes with a mini's and jeans an claims to be a doc coz she has a steathascope in her hands ? ........

as for banning jean to prevent eve teasing - i am against it.....

What kind of stupid argument is that? What difference does dress make? are you seriously saying that you can judge the ability of a doctor based on his or her clothes?

By the way, medical students don't treat patients in Hospitals, not until the fourth year, when their internship begins. So your chances of running into a mini skirt wearing student is nil.

What kind of stupid argument is that? What difference does dress make? are you seriously saying that you can judge the ability of a doctor based on his or her clothes?

By the way, medical students don't treat patients in Hospitals, not until the fourth year, when their internship begins. So your chances of running into a mini skirt wearing student is nil.

dude am a medic and i ve started treating patients from third year!!!! under supervision ofcourse ,,,, in final supervision is only for complcated cases(internship starts at 5th year)

i know how a patient who comes there looks at a doc .....formal clothes earn the trust of a patient - got to do with patient's psycology ...... if your patient is not going to trust you ...... do you think he 'd follow your advice and prescriptions?

this rule will have to be changed if not with peace then with protest ...and m sure if nothing goes well .....then high court will change the rule ...

but collage dress or rule should be same for both boys and gals ...

this all will turn out to be a political drama and after sometime college will have to change the rule under pressure ...:argh:

dude am a medic and i ve started treating patients from third year!!!! under supervision ofcourse ,,,, in final supervision is only for complcated cases(internship starts at 5th year)

i know how a patient who comes there looks at a doc .....formal clothes earn the trust of a patient - got to do with patient's psycology ...... if your patient is not going to trust you ...... do you think he 'd follow your advice and prescriptions?

Okay, my mistake about the internship thing.

But let me ask you this, does your college have dress codes?

Its a different issue whether they have to wear formal wear in a hospital or not. I'm talking about the college itself.

LOL!Now it is known that Hindus are also conservative-from the posts in this thread.atleast in south india.No Student Body or wing can ask for any rule change in these Engg Colleges.the "owners"(instead of Admin) of the Colleges are Goodnas(Goons) or some american funded protestent/evangelical(Funds,Paisa Baba...They are getting funds for from protestent bigwhigs from europe,USA) bigots who force these kind of laws to poor students.

Last edited:
Greeting guys,

It is interesting to know more colleges start to outlaw improper clothes. Please don't start argument with me as I am trying to make good point in our traditional cultures. In West, don't forget their divorce rate is very high.

As a regular person myself, Shalwar Kameez is the most beautiful dress than western styles clothes including (tight pants, blouses, skirts). These girls are high valuedand respectful than those cheap girls seeking attentions for thousands guys during colleges, mall shoppings, and jobs.

If you are married to woman like this, you will feel uncomfortable and insecurity because she is STILL receiving attentions and (maybe get affairs one-day). :hitwall:

It is important to note that we must protect ourselves in cultures in order to keep away from bad influences.

:disagree:

Okay, my mistake about the internship thing.

But let me ask you this, does your college have dress codes?

Its a different issue whether they have to wear formal wear in a hospital or not. I'm talking about the college itself.

yup.... formal wear it is -in campus during col hours- no jean and stuff......
after col hours you can wear any stuff inside the campus - no one cares

Hmmm, come to think of it. Since it is a medical college, an exception can be made - as they have to treat patients. But no non medical colleges should have dress codes.

I don't understand why you
I have seen it enough.

Just because you find salwar kameez to be the the most respectful dress and those who wear jeans to be cheap, does not mean you can impose your opinion on others.

I have a two young elementary daughters, and I was very surprised to hear that a public school in my county is starting a dress code for all the students. I as a father love it, because what this kids do is they mimic there superstar on tv and wear and act accordingly in the schools, instead of studing. Definitenly gets ride of the peer preasure.

Greeting guys,

It is interesting to know more colleges start to outlaw improper clothes. Please don't start argument with me as I am trying to make good point in our traditional cultures. In West, don't forget their divorce rate is very high.

As a regular person myself, Shalwar Kameez is the most beautiful dress than western styles clothes including (tight pants, blouses, skirts). These girls are high valuedand respectful than those cheap girls seeking attentions for thousands guys during colleges, mall shoppings, and jobs.

If you are married to woman like this, you will feel uncomfortable and insecurity because she is STILL receiving attentions and (maybe get affairs one-day). :hitwall:

It is important to note that we must protect ourselves in cultures in order to keep away from bad influences.

What happens after marriage is between wife and man. They can decide amongst themselves what proper dress code is. That issue is completely tangential to the issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom