What's new

Indian army asked for wish-list, troops demands rifles, ammunition, bulletproof jackets and more id

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
army-647_100616035558.jpg

At a time when the armed forces along the borders and those tasked with internal security are at a high level of alert against terrorist strikes, a long pending move is taking shape. Formations on the ground, long-used to ‘making-do’ with what was available on the ground are in the reckoning.

It was confirmed that most ground formations had received notifications, primarily from the Army and BSF. They were asked to list out their requirements at the earliest. In a move made before the surgical strike, the Army also cleared the procurement of about 250 Mine Proof Vehicles (MPVs) which are useful when tackling terrorists as they secure the troops and allow them mobility across all types of terrain.

WHAT INDIAN ARMY WANTS

From rifles, ammunition, bulletproof jackets, hand-held thermal imagers, night vision devices, sandbags to fresh communication lines, the troops on the ground have responded with their demands. It remains to be seen how soon and how much materialises. “This happens every time things tense up. While a few things will be made available, most will not. Invariably, matters fall back to the same old pace. We hope things are different this time,” said an officer who was commanding a battalion posted on the LoC.

While the Army requires over 3.5 lakh bulletproof vests and an order for 50,000 has been issued earlier this year, the BSF is in no better position by itself. The BSF spokesperson refused to provide details but sources pointed to massive gaps in quality and quantity.

ARMY’S BIGGEST ORDER EVER

Meanwhile, the Army has, in one of the biggest ever orders placed, asked for about 250 Mine Protected Vehicles (MPVs). These vehicles, routinely spotted on the streets and highways of Jammu and Kashmir and Northeastern states, secure troops from Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) explosions and gunfire.
These MPVs, which can carry up to a dozen fully armed personnel, also have a provision for gun sights in bullet proof glass from where troops can take on targets outside. There is also a provision to install a rotating, heavier gun on top of the vehicle. Those operating MPVs say it helps them move cross-country across most terrain even while taking fire and hitting back at terrorists. A Bullet Proof (BP) bunker or BP vehicle has limits on mobility and the security it can offer, when considered against an MPV.

WHEN WILL THE ARMY GET WHAT IT WANTS

From information obtained by speaking to sources in the Army and the Ministry of Defence (MoD), it was learnt that ‘indent’ or an order for acquisition had recently been placed with the Vehicle Factory Jabalpur (VFJ), which comes under the Ordnance Factory Board of the MoD. The delivery of these MPVs will begin by 2018. The Amy will use these vehicles in Northeastern states apart from Jammu and Kashmir.

In J&K, which is witnessing an escalation of sorts, intelligence inputs indicate a presence of 409 terrorists of which 315 are operating in the Kashmir region and the rest in Jammu. Instances of mine/IED blasts in Jammu and Kashmir have significantly reduced on account of better roads and detection by the security agencies. However, terrorist strikes have forced the hand of not just the Army but also the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) deployed there and they are responding with MPVs. The Army and CAPFs have been using ‘Casspir’ MPV manufactured by the VFJ. The Army, which was the first to use MPVs, began doing so since the early 1990s when it was tasked with tackling the first bout of insurgency in the Kashmir Valley.

A senior officer aware of the case said: “While we are looking at replacing our existing fleet which is ageing, there will also be an enhancement of numbers. We have found these MPVs to be extremely useful. The ones we will now procure are the upgraded ones and have been finalised after several rounds of testing.” For security reasons, the specifications pertaining to these MPVs were not shared.

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website , Kindly don't paste our work in other websites http://idrw.org/indian-army-asked-f...ion-bulletproof-jackets-and-more/#more-110677 .

Defence budget would be increased by 2 Billion dollars in the current year itself

I saw one report, where Indian soldiers were very unhappy about how their dead ones and their families are treated.

And were telling it as one of the major reasons of their very low morale apart from not being properly equipped.

I think this needs to be addressed by India...

What about modern helmets?
I think Afghan Army infantry have a better and more modern helmet than our Army.
591562-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
Most Importantly India should replace Assault Rifles and Helmets. It should also provide helmet mounted gear like night vision and thermal sights to the army. Well IA will reject Indigenous products due to its love for foreign maal and the commissions that IA's top brass will be loosing for selecting locally produced products but there are some pretty good Indian companies out there which can provide advanced tech for such basic equipment.

http://www.thehindu.com/business/In...timillion-dollar-contracts/article7873818.ece

This company in Bengaluru named Tonbo Imaging manufactures night vision and other sighting equipment which has deals with Thales, DARPA, Elbit etc. IA is planning to issue another tender process for an assault rifle but I guess it would only kill precious time and given the costs of foreign assault rifles, it just isn't worth it. I have personally seen the MCIWS and it is a pretty good if not in par with other world class assault rifles when it comes to design but I'm not sure how the testing went through. There have been reports of scientists of DRDO and other such developmental agencies are committing suicides due to the fact that all those years of hardwork and research is going in vain. Whe it comes to bullet proof jackets, Tata Advanced Materials can supply such vests and given the local manufacturing, these can be procured for lower prices.

They need to replace these school bags too :D :D
That is hilarious and embarrassing though:big_boss:

Last edited:
tumblr_nbr85rklUG1tjfjuco6_500.jpg

What do you think about this one? This is called Patka and Indian armed forces swear by it. Read up on it. Brilliant stuff they are.

Means they are not satisfied by ak due to its accuracy problem. Which specific rifle they want

Bulletproof vests, helmets, night vision googles and a good assault rifle. These were the things they should buy on urgent basis.

tumblr_nbr85rklUG1tjfjuco6_500.jpg

What do you think about this one? This is called Patka and Indian armed forces swear by it. Read up on it. Brilliant stuff they are.

Patka provides safety only side of the helmet.IA is searching for ballistic helmets that can stop even 7.62 mm fired from point blank range

What about modern helmets?
I think Afghan Army infantry have a better and more modern helmet than our Army.
591562-1024x683.jpg

US aid.

Armies running on aid don't necessarily mean they are battle hardened or good enough for securing the sovereignty of the country.

What matters is martial history, discipline, training and a will to die for just a piece of flag. And here i am taking about our Army and History.

As for the gear. MKU make world such class stuff and export. Now we can blame and abuse the system all we want.

US aid.

Armies running on aid don't necessarily mean they are battle hardened or good enough for securing the sovereignty of the country.

What matters is martial history, discipline, training and a will to die for just a piece of flag. And here i am taking about our Army and History.

As for the gear. MKU make world such class stuff and export. Now we can blame and abuse the system all we want.
I agree..
But its ironic that MoD returns Rs 37,000 crore, while our soldiers lack basic modern gear. And the soldiers with civilian backpack on active duty is embarrassing.

they did not buy it NATO left these gears behind
Lucky Afghans.. Good for them.

Back
Top Bottom