What's new

'Indian Aircraft Industry' full of unknown gems

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
After sixty four years of Independence, why don't we have a single fighter jet IN SERVICE, designed and built entirely in India? Or for that matter, a commercial passenger aircraft? We've managed to build up a robust space programme. But we can't build our own planes. This book tells you why.
It's the sort of book that would only appeal to folks who're interested in aeroplanes. Who wonder why India has to keep going to foreign companies for aircraft to defend our borders. Who wonder why Sweden, China, even Brazil can build and even export perfectly good planes. But a rising superpower like India can't.

It's also the rare book that combines passion with precision. It enumerates almost every single type of defense aircraft ever made in India. It goes back to the birth of the aircraft industry in pre-independence India, when Walchand Hirachand tied up with William Douglas Pawley to manufacture gliders here. This was the company that many years later became Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.

It talks about fledgling attempts to make our own small planes, in post-independence India. About the political pushes and pulls, the frustration of our scientists, the fight to get adequate funding.
I almost cried when I read about the HF-24, also called the Marut. In 1960, fifty years before today's Light Combat Aircraft or Tejas, India built and flew a supersonic multi role combat aircraft through our skies. A visionary German engineer Dr Kurt Tank helped us.

When it was ready, it was one of the best fighter jets in the world at that time. The west couldn't believe a third world country could pull off a stunt like that. The Marut fought in the 1971 Indo-Pakistan war and performed gloriously.

Yet, around 1984, almost all the Marut's we built were discarded. The reason - its engines were called too weak for modern warfare. Of the 140 planes we threw away, at least forty had not even flown for twenty hours each. The five hundred plus strong team of scientists who worked on the project were disbanded. And we bought modern aircraft off the shelf from abroad.
How weird that hardly any of us know this story. Of the enormous amount of talent and money wasted, of the infuriating short sightedness of the bureaucrats and officers who made those decisions.

Read this book for unknown gems like that. Carefully gathered by a man who proudly served and led the Indian Air Force all his life. In the excitement around India's purchase of new fighter aircraft, we should be looking over our shoulders. To avoid the stupidity that's plagued our past.

'Indian Aircraft Industry' full of unknown gems - Books - Book Reviews - ibnlive

can be read online dear?

If u are talking of the posted link then it is for the book review. Not the entire book.

anyways, I too have read many good things about MARUT and why the plans for improving it went down the drain has always been a mystery for me.

guys do you know that,on the day when tejas was to make its first flight,defence minister fernadese received a high profile cable from some "technologically advanced" nation urging him to cancel the flight as the nation thought our nation wasn't technologically strong enough!

guys do you know that,on the day when tejas was to make its first flight,defence minister fernadese received a high profile cable from some "technologically advanced" nation urging him to cancel the flight as the nation thought our nation wasn't technologically strong enough!
any links articles any thing to read on it

Sounds like the Marut was "murdered" for either the lack of a better engine.. or vested interests.

buddy,i am a journo,and i can't provide you with links and all.
there are several such interesting things.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Sounds like the Marut was "murdered" for either the lack of a better engine.. or vested interests.

simply due to the lack a back boned airforce top brass and due to the presence of a good nothing defence minister.

I too read this but here on Defence.pk. You meed to ask seniors or may be in LCA thread you can find this in detail. I think that request was from boing or some other strong organization that Tejas prototype could crash.. It was nice to read.

1.Simply because we didnt have funds to further develop the aircraft and couldnt come up with a Mk2 version with a better engine.
2. We were not able to produce an engine of our own and the nation we trusted to give us an engine took hands off the project and in west nobody was willing to give us an engine.

These were the main reasons we didnt have a Marut Mk2 and that was teh motivation to start an engine design and production of our own.

Kudos to the scientists who despite of limited knowledge and restriction have pulled of a 80Kn engine of their own called as "Kaveri"

Marut might have failed, but we learnt a very important lession and soon we will have our own engine.

Great going :tup:

The only problem is the regulations, red-tapism and the aviation sector being under corrupt, semi-literate, mindless and callous politicians rather than engineers, corporatists and elite businessmen with a far sight. Fix that and then we can see where our country stands in the world rankings. :)

The only problem is the regulations, red-tapism and the aviation sector being under corrupt, semi-literate, mindless and callous politicians rather than engineers, corporatists and elite businessmen with a far sight. Fix that and then we can see where our country stands in the world rankings. :)

I think your wish has come half true, Anna Hazare is fixing this..:lol:

Purely vested interests. It was a great design and a better engine would have made it a good aircraft. Russian engines were available at that time but some 'idiot' thought only western engine can do a job.

The Marut

HAL-HF-24-Marut.jpg

hindustan_marut.gif

marut-4.jpg

when you have half minded bureaucrats in charge of the country's aerospace sector this is inevitable we need to put a guy like Pv Naik in charge of developing the aerospace industry in India, HELL even Brazil can makes its own planes and we can't??? something is wrong here and also those who love foreign imported planes and won't give indigenous weapons a chance must be removed by 2020 our aviation industry will be good

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom