What's new

Indian Air Force to get world's only supersonic air-launched cruise missile (VIDEO)

Reaction score
Country
India
56b36382c4618868198b45c5.jpg

© Kamal Kishore

The Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace has announced plans to start work on an advanced version of a supersonic air-launched cruise missile. The BrahMos-2 will be tested this year.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has placed the first order for the air-launched adaptation of the cruise missile, according to BrahMos Aerospace CEO Sudhir Kumar Mishra. He declined to comment on the number of missiles in the contract.

READ MORE: Russia completes delivery of military helicopters to India

The new missile is to be integrated into the Sukhoi-30 MKI multirole fighter. The land version of the missile is currently used in the Indian Army. As BrahMos-2 is the heaviest missile ever flown on a Su-30, the aircraft will undergo structural modifications to accommodate the load.

Modeled on the original design, BrahMos 2 is a supersonic cruise missile powered by an air-breathing engine. It will be capable of reaching speeds up to Mach 7 (or 5,238 mph). BrahMos-2 is 'the war winner missile'according to Sivathanu Pillai, the founder of the aerospace company.

BrahMos Aerospace started in 1998 and took its name from two rivers, the Brahmaputra and the Moscow. India is the majority shareholder in the company, with a 50.5 percent share stake. Russia owns the remaining 49.5 percent.

Indian Air Force to get world's only supersonic air-launched cruise missile (VIDEO) — RT Business

Last edited:
congrats to india and to Russia
yes this a deadly weapon so i want to see what the Pakistan China has against it and other countries
wish we had this in our forces

OK what China or even US has for Bramos 1 ?Leablve Pakistan or Brahmos 2 for a while

wish we had this in our forces
and do what ? No war will be fought with these weapons in near future. Cost of each missile can fund more primary education schools in a district. After some 4 or 6 years of shelf life they will use it in some fireworks display and be done with.
Bangladesh should count lucky that it does not need these expensive toys.

and do what ? No war will be fought with these weapons in near future. Cost of each missile can fund more primary education schools in a district. After some 4 or 6 years of shelf life they will use it in some fireworks display and be done with.
Bangladesh should count lucky that it does not need these expensive toys.

toys are expensive to buy i know
but itis not 1950 or 1990s any more
every one is advancing
we can even buy it from Russia :)

i dont easily like indian staff but this i like it is a good toy to play with :)

i wish RAWAL strike a deal on this :)

every one is advancing
having advanced weaponry is not advancement. India can build a nuclear SSBN but cannot power its villages. We can send probe to mars but cannot have effective law & order. Its a psuedo advancement.

good toy to play with
yes,If you have tons of money to spare with.

toys are expensive to buy i know
but itis not 1950 or 1990s any more
every one is advancing
we can even buy it from Russia :)

i dont easily like indian staff but this i like it is a good toy to play with :)

i wish RAWAL strike a deal on this :)

Source: Indian Air Force to get world's only supersonic air-launched cruise missile (VIDEO)
Russians will not sell you the Oniks. Brahmos or Oniks have range of 700 km+ and not 300km. Which is why India can not easily sell it. Infact, exactly the reason why Russia sells Brahmos as Oniks to close allies. MTCR regime would kill India for giving such a weapon to other countries since the weapon was designed to take out American battle groups. Since this Brahmos is Russian design the share is 51-49 in India's favour.
Also BD would require long range tracking and trageting platforms like AEW or AWACs connected via secure sat to make use of such a long range weapon. India intends to have sats and already has 1 atleast in the IOR for secure communication. Not only this, you also require a visual observation of the target because if you shoot things from the radar screen, you could be sinking fishing boats or worse, passenger ferrys.
Rule of militaries. Its easy to buy the weapons system. Its more difficulte to get the training and tactics. Which is why BD is now turning to India for its training and defence needs.
That being said, until BD deals with JUD sympthaziers, high end weapons should not be option for BD especially submarine platforms. A single hijacked or AWOL submarine, be it a midgit can turn of the trade in IOR. Lethal result for every economy.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom