What's new

Indian Air Force strength to fall sharply in 2 yrs

Rajkumar

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi: Two years after the former Air Chief sent a warning to the Government about the Air Force losing parity with its Pakistani counterpart, things are still not completely looking up.

In the midst of tensions between India and Pakistan, the IAF is working with one of its lowest squadron strengths - 32 as opposed to a sanctioned 39. The numbers count specially in a full blown conflict.

In his letter to the government - details of which were accessed by CNN IBN and first telecast on Sep 2006 - the then Air Chief Air Marshall Tyagi had talked about the declining combat strength

He wrote, "Unless immediate steps are taken to arrest the reduction in Indian Air Force's force levels, the Nation will for the first time in its history, lose the conventional military edge over Pakistan".

Seven months later in one of the fastest decisions, the government gave the go ahead for 40 Sukhoi M30s. It could be the end of 2009 before the planes finally enter service.

Other programs like the deal to purchase the 126 Multi Role Aircraft and the Light Combat Aircraft could take several years before they fructify.

Therefore, for the moment the IAF is struggling with one of its lowest aircraft strengths.

The depleting force levels could affect the capability of the Air Force to carry out wide scale operations. The existing aircraft are also far from satisfactory

The MiG-21s have already lived their life. Only six of the 13 squadrons will remain in service after 2012 and MiG-27s are being upgraded

A deal to upgrade the MiG-29s has been signed but could be three years before they arrive and the Mirage-2000s are also due for upgradation.

Even with this the IAF has an edge over its Pakistani counterpart. But its dominance in the sub-continent's airspace and the crucial roles its played is certainly under threat.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/are-we-battle-ready-iaf-on-lowest-strength-ever/82704-3.html

Last edited:
thats what i think about the indian airforce that most of its workforce is obselete

IAF is in need of major refit.....

BUT TONITE

100 SU30MKI & 1 Phalcon AWACS WILL be enuf to keep PAF at Bay

until the other equipment arrives over the next 5 YEARS

BUT TONITE

until the other equipment arrives over the next 5 YEARS

CAn you tell me what percentage of those aircraft are in the air? Probably not :lol:

oh and where were your MKI's when you had to do your "surgical" strikes?.

BUT TONITE

until the other equipment arrives over the next 5 YEARS[

Keep at bay! lol :lol: we dont cross in to others airspace rem and btw i really dont care wat your AF does all i know is that there is always a punch for a punch! rem that dont underestimate anyone :wave:

thats what i think about the indian airforce that most of its workforce is obselete

i don't think that's the view that the PAF subscribes to. had the PAF thought low of the IAF's capabilities to strike within Pakistan, they would not have pressed the panic button and started air sorties over Pakistani cities to reassure the people of Pakistan that they are safe.

the very fact that there is talk in India of striking terrorist camps in Pakistan speaks of the confidence that the IAF has in its capabilities of carrying out the task. for eg - you dont see the Iranian airforce talk about carrying out strikes on Israel, for they know that they simply dont have the capability whereas Israel does.

Indian strategic planners would have very well taken into account the depleting force levels of the IAF before drawing operation plans. By the way what the IAF seems to have lost in numbers has been nearly made up by the quality of the new equipment being inducted like the Su-30MKI's, Phalcon, Mig-21 Bis (the new upgraded version with Israeli and French systems and BVR capability to speak the least).

Back
Top Bottom