What's new

India Will Be Completely Self Reliant In The Field Of Missiles In Next 5 Years – Manohar Parrikar

It's not even that wild of a statement (which some of Parrikar's can be). Missile tech is an area where India is already largely self-sufficent from SR-SAMs to ICBMs and now SLBMs. The areas that India is still looking for imports (QR-SAM, VLR-SAM (S-400), VSHORADS, ATGM) are areas that are actively being pursued by DRDO and will see success in the next 5-6 years for sure.

By 2020:

VSHORADS-RBS-70 (most likely)
QR-SAM- Maitri
SR-SAM-AKASH, Spyder, Astra based SR-SAM (under development)
MR-SAM- BARAK-8 (for IAF, designated LR-SAM by IN)
LR-SAM- BARAK-8ER
VLR-SAM- S-400, (DRDO also working on a 200-300km range SAM system)
BMD- DRDO BMD; PAD and AAD (under development)
MBRL- Pinaka (Mk.2 in advanced stages of development), Smerch
ATGM- Spike, Nag
Air-launched ATGM- Helina, Mistral, Hellfire
Cruise missile (Brahmos (Brahmos-M and Brahmos-2 hypersonic CM also under development), Harpoon, Nirbhay
Air-launched cruise missile-Brahmos-A, Nirbhay
BVRAAM- Astra, R-77, Derby
SBLM- K4, K15
ICBM-Agni-I/II/III/IV/V/VI etc

Green-Indian/DRDO designed
Yellow-Indian/DRDO JV with foriegn OEM
Red-Foreign design

I'm sure I've missed out quite a few projects/systems, @PARIKRAMA @Water Car Engineer @acetophenol @MilSpec @sathya @punit @SpArK @nair please add where you see fit.

Anyway, the trend is clear and, for most, India can thank this great man:

Abdul-Kalam.jpg

The missile man himself.
Brother u missed two important missiles
Amogha 1 and CLGM which will be used extensively against terrorist and small adventures by Pak armed forces

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amogha_missile

Brother u missed two important missiles
Amogha 1 and CLGM which will be used extensively against terrorist and small adventures by Pak armed forces

The CLGM will be useful for replacing the LAHAT on the Arjun MBT. But with the Helina and NAG coming into service very shortly I don't see much scope for the Amogha-1 or CLGM for aviation assets or as man-portable solutions.

The CLGM will be useful for replacing the LAHAT on the Arjun MBT. But with the Helina and NAG coming into service very shortly I don't see much scope for the Amogha-1 or CLGM for aviation assets or as man-portable solutions.
These will be cheapest to used against terrorist hideouts as compared to Helina and Nag which will be more advanced and costly hence all 4 can co exist .
Like tow , hell fire, javelin and etc in usa armed forces

Ref : BDL/104/BD-PR/06 PRESS RELEASE Date : 01 April, 2016 BDL TEST FIRES INDIGENOUSLY DEVELOPED ANTI- TANK GUIDED MISSILE WITH ADVANCE GUIDANCE SYSTEM Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) has indigenously developed and test fired recently, an advanced Wireless Anti-Tank Missile with RF Guidance at Babina ranges. RF System with EW protection was used to send the guidance command to the missile. The system has the capability of being remotely launched and piloted from a safe distance equalling the advantages of expensive third generation ATGMs. This is the 2nd Missile developed by BDL indigenously. BDL, had earlier, in Jan 2016, successfully test fired its f irst indigenously developed ATGM named, Amogha -1(Range 2.8 Km.) With the successful completion of the developmental trials of these two new systems, BDL has entered into the era of development of new generation short range missile systems both for moving and stationary land targets.

It's not even that wild of a statement (which some of Parrikar's can be). Missile tech is an area where India is already largely self-sufficent from SR-SAMs to ICBMs and now SLBMs. The areas that India is still looking for imports (QR-SAM, VLR-SAM (S-400), VSHORADS, ATGM) are areas that are actively being pursued by DRDO and will see success in the next 5-6 years for sure.

By 2020:

QR-SAM- Maitri
LR-SAM- BARAK-8ER
ATGM- Spike, Nag
Cruise missile (Brahmos (Brahmos-M and Brahmos-2 hypersonic CM also under development), Harpoon, Nirbhay
SBLM- K4, K15

Red-Foreign design

I'm sure I've missed out quite a few projects/systems, @PARIKRAMA @Water Car Engineer @acetophenol @MilSpec @sathya @punit @SpArK @nair please add where you see fit.

Abdul-Kalam.jpg

The missile man himself.

You missed out on two other missiles. The LRCM and a new ARM.

By 2020:

QR-SAM- Maitri
LR-SAM- BARAK-8ER
ATGM- Spike, Nag
SBLM- K4, K15

Red-Foreign design

Abdul-Kalam.jpg

The missile man himself.
In QRSAM you should add BDL & DRDO QRSAM and also NGARM
upload_2016-6-6_23-40-21.png

NEXT GEN ANTI RADIATION MISSILE
upload_2016-6-6_23-58-27.png

upload_2016-6-6_23-58-36.png

More on QRSAM
upload_2016-6-6_23-58-10.png

Radar for QRSAM(???)...Multi Mode Surveillance Radar

upload_2016-6-6_23-59-40.png

7LVLgkV.png

Also ....
Visakhapatnam_C_09_2730068f.jpg

Terming it as a big achievement, IRDE Scientist Ram Saran told The Hindu on Monday that full-fledged production of the system would be useful for Akash new generation and Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile System (QRSAM).

Last edited:
Done! Thanks for the info mate.

NGARM? :undecided:

@PARIKRAMA @Water Car Engineer @MilSpec @fsayed

Did you guys have knowledge of this project being intiated? Any more info? Pretty big news.

The DRDO QRSAM is rather old news by now. In actually in limited production for trials.

This QRSAM came from concept to trials in record time! There is a anti radiation missile as well. Man portable NAG will see the light of day as well.

-------------

Here is also 2 new ATGMs being developed by BDL.

Amogha 1 - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...us-anti-tank-missile/articleshow/48975211.cms

Another unnamed more advanced ATGM -

This is the 2nd Missile developed by BDL indigenously which was test fired recently.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ss-anti-tank-missile/articleshow/51658987.cms

---------------------

The airfoce is also trying to develop some systems as well. Some of which has been trialing on MKIs.

wagnakh-1024x645.jpg

VARUNASTRA-1024x608.jpg

VEL-1024x697.jpg

----

For the MBRL you forgot to mention Pinaka 2, which is a completely new system with higher range than Smerch.

I know I am also missing some thing as well.

Last edited:
Along with a ASAT, there is an anti ship ballistic missile as well.

Here's the interview --

Avinash Chander: Our aim via the 'missile autonomy mission' is to cover a wider space as it were. Let me outline some of the new systems being progressed. A new man portable anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) for which design is over and hardware is getting developed. A Longer ranged SAM with a range of 200-250 km is on the drawing board. A quick reaction SAM which can track on move is well-advanced in the design stage. An anti-radiation missile and a long range anti-ship missile which can prevent aircraft carriers from coming within 1500-2000 km of our shores are also being pursued.

Avinash Chander: For the anti-radiation missile design is in progress, in fact hardware is being readied for the first trials. We expect successful trials of this ARM from an aircraft in about the next three years.

The long range anti-ship missile is on the drawing board, and we are confident that in about six years we would be able to get it ready. The long range anti-ship missile is going to be a ballistic missile with a seeker which can hit ships at long range.

http://www.news18.com/blogs/india/s...adviser-to-defence-minister-10879-748568.html

Last edited:
Long with a ASAT, there is an anti shit ballistic missile as well.

Here's the interview --

Avinash Chander: Our aim via the 'missile autonomy mission' is to cover a wider space as it were. Let me outline some of the new systems being progressed. A new man portable anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) for which design is over and hardware is getting developed. A Longer ranged SAM with a range of 200-250 km is on the drawing board. A quick reaction SAM which can track on move is well-advanced in the design stage. An anti-radiation missile and a long range anti-ship missile which can prevent aircraft carriers from coming within 1500-2000 km of our shores are also being pursued.

Avinash Chander: For the anti-radiation missile design is in progress, in fact hardware is being readied for the first trials.
@Abingdonboy They (BDL) will start limited production of 100 misslies soon

Yes, so true. Like in 20 years. If India wants to.

Why not? Although frankly much more of it is covered than our enemies wish.

By 2020:

QR-SAM- Maitri, BDL & DRDO QRSAM
LR-SAM- BARAK-8ER
ATGM- Spike, Nag
Anti Radiation Missile- DRDO ARM (under development)

Cruise missile (Brahmos (Brahmos-M and Brahmos-2 hypersonic CM also under development), Harpoon, Nirbhay, LRCM (under development)
SBLM- K4, K15

Red-Foreign design

Nice summary, champ.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom