What's new

India, US may make fourth generation Javelins

sudhir007

Reaction score
India, US may make fourth generation Javelins - Hindustan Times

The ice seems to be breaking. Coming slowly out of an environment of mistrust which prompted major restrictions on defence technology transfers, the US wants to jointly produce with India its fourth generation of Javelin anti-tank guided missiles.

Washington has also upgraded its initial offer of a part transfer to a full transfer of technology for third-generation Javelins.

The technology transfer will include the 'seeker' software — which helps home in on the target.

The Defence Acquisition Council headed by defence minister AK Antony has asked the Indian Army to consider the US-made Javelin along with Israeli Spike missiles. The Javelin purchase will feature in meetings during Army Chief General Bikram Singh's trip to the US early next month.

Now that's what I am talking about.:victory1:

Full TOT ;) very unlike Uncle sam.
If true good news :tup: but I still will be voting for spike ;)

US Diplomats claimed that they can offer as many as 80 such JV(initial start is with 10,which is already offered)..I wonder what it could be..

Now that's an offer hard to reject. o_O
Is it a good thing or bad thing ?! Time can only prove it.
Their long time NATO partner across the border never got these type offers.!

US Diplomats claimed that they can offer as many as 80 such JV(initial start is with 10,which is already offered)..I wonder what it could be..

It could be in the field in which India has made decent progress such as

BMD,

Tanks and its parts.

air to air missile,

Surface to air missiles.

Awacs,

Planes.

Choppers.

Last edited:
This is the reason no news of finalizing spike missile came up during the visit of Israeli major general to India recently, Indians seems to be interested in US offer

It is unlikely US would transfer critical technology to India.

Even if they do, it will be subject to US supervision and control. I am sure its not worth it.

too good to be true I say..... there are surely strings attached

The narrative of this Indian ATGM puchase just baggers beleif, one minuet the Javelin is out, the next it's back on, the next Spike has one it, next Spike is out for failing trails, next Spike looks likely then US offers this- it goes on and on and on.

If only there were some professional defence journalists in India to clearly report on what was going on.

The narrative of this Indian ATGM puchase just baggers beleif, one minuet the Javelin is out, the next it's back on, the next Spike has one it, next Spike is out for failing trails, next Spike looks likely then US offers this- it goes on and on and on.

If only there were some professional defence journalists in India to clearly report on what was going on.

Professional journos are hard to come by these days.:cry:

On topic, a 4th generation Javelin is a very lucrative deal, but we must consider
whether India really needs it? The Army & MoD should know this and make or break
the JV for 4th gen Javelin.

The existing 3rd generation Javelin is going to be a done deal as per most trustable sources.
IA is sure to order it in large numbers.

but we must consider
whether India really needs it?
Well the Indian military needs to stay ahead of the curve or at least up to date with contemporary military hardware. If this deal is legitimate then it makes sense to go for the successor and not the predecessor surely?

Well the Indian military needs to stay ahead of the curve or at least up to date with contemporary military hardware. If this deal is legitimate then it makes sense to go for the successor and not the predecessor surely?

The 4th gen Javelin appears to be many years away. And I don't think
it can be produced on an industrial scale until well into the next decade.

Makes sense to stack up 3rd gen Javelins and gain some production
experience about Javelin by building them under license until then.

The 4th gen Javelin appears to be many years away. And I don't think
it can be produced on an industrial scale until well into the next decade.

Makes sense to stack up 3rd gen Javelins and gain some production
experience about Javelin by building them under license until then.
This could be an acceptable compromise:

India Eyes Spike, Javelin Buys

Takes care of the immediate needs (with Spike) of the IA and also their future needs (with next-gen Javelin). Win-Win :D

This could be an acceptable compromise:

India Eyes Spike, Javelin Buys

Takes care of the immediate needs (with Spike) of the IA and also their future needs (with next-gen Javelin). Win-Win :D

Not exactly an ideal solution, because then the IA would find itself operating two different ati tank missiles - which means all the infantry will have to be trained on two systems, not to mention the logistics issues.

The article itself indicates the ideal solution - that India gets full ToT on 3rd gen javelin and begins producing them (maybe with a small off the shelf purchase as well), and then jointly develops 4th gen javelin with the US.

That is what is on offer, full ToT for 3rd gen and joint development of the next gen.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom