What's new

India To Test 5000 Km Ranged Ballistic Missile - AGNI IV- In 2009

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
India To Test 5000 Km Ranged Ballistic Missile - AGNI IV- In 2009

India will test indigenously built Agni III+ ballistic missile with a strike range of more than 5000 km in 2009. The long-range missile is currently in the design stage, VK Saraswat, Chief Controller (R&D) of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said in Visakhapatnam on Monday.

"We are looking for trial in early 2009," he told reporters on the sidelines of the 95th Indian Science Congress in Visakhapatnam. After the induction of the surface-to-air missile Akash by the Air Force, the Army is starting user trials for the sophisticated anti-tank Nag missiles this summer.

"User trials for Nag will be held in May-June in the Rajasthan desert," Saraswat said. Nag is an all weather anti-tank guided missile. Design work on the missile started in 1988 and the first tests were carried out in November 1990.

India To Test 5000 Km Ranged Ballistic Missile - AGNI IV- In 2009 | India Defence

I think going longer with Ballistic missiles is important, as a second strike utility. But its far more important to work on long(er) ranged cruise missiles.

Americans are already working on an ICCM (cruise).

Oh and my guess for India hitting 5k would be 2010/2011 or farther.

5000km will definately boost India's offensive capability and indeed provide a second strike platform.

I'm curious if it will go down well with China and western countries, particularly the USA.

India with its submarine launched ballistic missile and the continued increasing range of ballistic missiles will easily threaten countries in Europe and United States itself. I believe that U.S. need to go through with the defense shield as soon as possible.

wow on a side note that article is saying that the NAG has been testing for 18 years!

im starting to have doubts about the indian slbm, i mean on the videos it shows the missiles being launched horizontally just like torpedoes.

not only that, you can see the missiles resemble subsonic cruise missiles. Also, the ATV looks too small to be a SSBN, im thinking it's a SSBK.

im starting to have doubts about the indian slbm, i mean on the videos it shows the missiles being launched horizontally just like torpedoes.

not only that, you can see the missiles resemble subsonic cruise missiles. Also, the ATV looks too small to be a SSBN, im thinking it's a SSBK.

Where in gods name did you see the ATV? There have been no pictures released, let alone videos. Only artist impressions and projections have been released.

And second, the missile was launched from a submerged pontoon. Clear your facts before you post.

wow on a side note that article is saying that the NAG has been testing for 18 years!

GSQR's changed(and not just once!), its going for trials in the next year, more likely than not, it will clear them just like Akash did.

I doubt by doing only 2 -3 tests any missile can be perfect. There is great goof-up with whole missile program.

Why they have never hit some actual target on Land. This is big Q ?

India with its submarine launched ballistic missile and the continued increasing range of ballistic missiles will easily threaten countries in Europe and United States itself. I believe that U.S. need to go through with the defense shield as soon as possible.

India poses no risk to the west. If anything I won't be surprised if new alliances between the west and India are forged in the next decade.

Back
Top Bottom