What's new

India To Speed BMP-2 Upgrades; FICV Stalls

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI — Keeping its US $10 billion Futuristic Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV) program on the shelf, the Indian Ministry of Defense instead will accelerate the upgrade of its Russian-made BMP-2 infantry combat vehicles and will issue tenders to buy 2,000 engines for the program, Defense Ministry sources said.

The Indian Army’s more than 1,500 BMP-2s will be upgraded at a cost of more than $1.2 billion in the next three to five years, and the program last month received formal MoD clearance, the sources said. Though this move doesn’t necessarily shut down the homegrown FICV project, it is less likely to see the light of day because the decision has already been delayed, said an Army official.

The tender for the purchase of 2,000 engines to power the upgraded BMP-2 has been sent to domestic auto majors Mahindra & Mahindra, Tata Motors, Force Motors, Ashok Leyland, Maruti Udyog and Crompton Greaves, and to MTU of Germany, Thales of France and Rosoboronexport of Russia.

The Army requires engines able to generate 350 to 380 horsepower and are easy to maintain and operate in extreme weather conditions. The existing engine of the BMP-2 has 285 horsepower and is not suited for cross-country mobility.

The upgrade will improve observation and surveillance, night-fighting capability and fire control, and will provide an improved anti-tank guided missile system and 30mm automatic grenade launcher.

The Russians last year offered their BMP-3 vehicles to replace the FICV, but no decision was made.

The proposed FICV project would be the first built in the “Make India” category, which means only Indian companies would be allowed to participate.

The project would involve participation by the Indian government and Indian companies. Two short-listed companies would be asked to make an FICV prototype, and after field trials of the prototype, the winning company would produce up to 2,600 FICVs.

After nearly two years of discussions, no final decision has been made about which companies will participate.

The Defense Ministry had selected state-owned Bharat Earth Movers and a consortium of Larsen & Toubro, Mahindra Defense and Tata Power, but former Indian Army chief general, V.K. Singh, questioned the ability of the Indian companies to take on such a big project, MoD sources said.

Link - India To Speed BMP-2 Upgrades; FICV Stalls | Defense News | defensenews.com

Unless they have upgraded armour,only thing great about this deal is kornet atgms.They'll take out any existing pak or china tank.

I don't think this implies that FICV is stalled. BMP-2 upgradation program had been planned for a long time now, even as FICV was conceived. The BMP-2s don't have much life remaining, and besides, are not modern enough for the future battlefield. The FICV is a necessity - only beef I have is that they made over ambitious requirements for that. Maybe they will bring down the specs of the FICV, and hopefully the costs, but an FICV is absolutely necessary for the future. And it will be a wonderful opportunity to develop a military industry at home, by giving the opportunity to private companies.

@Abingdonboy : remememer i said i hear this ???

Stalled bro- not cancelled. AFAIK the 2020 timeline for FICV induction is still the target. The BMPs are outdated even by today's standards these upgrades are limited in nature and will keep them relevant for another decade max. Enough time for the FICV project to get to a place where they are ready to start deliveries to the IA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stalled bro- not cancelled. AFAIK the 2020 timeline for FICV induction is still the target. The BMPs are outdated even by today's standards these upgrades are limited in nature and will keep them relevant for another decade max. Enough time for the FICV project to get to a place where they are ready to start deliveries to the IA.

Even army is not happy with BMP-2 or matter of fact BMP-3.

But the requirement given for FICV might cause the BMP-3 as a stop gap. This was what i hear.

Well if a project is stalled in early stages ...... Its as good as canceled. Lets hope i am wrong.

+ latest version of US Strikers are being aggressively marketed lets see what IA think of that

Even army is not happy with BMP-2 or matter of fact BMP-3.

But the requirement given for FICV might cause the BMP-3 as a stop gap. This was what i hear.

Well if a project is stalled in early stages ...... Its as good as canceled. Lets hope i am wrong.

+ latest version of US Strikers are being aggressively marketed lets see what IA think of that

Let's wait and see bro- there's a lot of time between now and 2020!

+ are you hearing anything else defence related worth mentioning mate?

Let's wait and see bro- there's a lot of time between now and 2020!

+ are you hearing anything else defence related worth mentioning mate?

Well... alot. But credibility of the sources is ... You know ;)
IA is looking for the most of US stuff in the modernisation process.
Russians might not like that ;)

One news which has decent credibility is
If all go well ( which is unlikely ) US govt will help us in F-INSAS with some elements of Delta Land warrior program. The Source deny to specify the said elements. But i guess it would be about Data fusion and linking programmes. What do you think ???

Well... alot. But credibility of the sources is ... You know ;)
IA is looking for the most of US stuff in the modernisation process.
Russians might not like that ;)

One news which has decent credibility is
If all go well ( which is unlikely ) US govt will help us in F-INSAS with some elements of Delta Land warrior program. The Source deny to specify the said elements. But i guess it would be about Data fusion and linking programmes. What do you think ???

Wrt US stuff and modernisation- I'd have thought that much was obvious! C-17, AH-64E, M777, CH-47F, C-130J-30 and P-8I deals all in the bag or soon-to-be in the bag.

Wrt F-INSAS, not heard that specific bit of news but I know there is a LOT of collaboration going on with Indian pvt firms (TATA) as well as many foreign consultants and companies involved. So it is certainly possible India will be getting such help from the US.

Any more news on the Stryker? Last I heard the IA had abandoned that system in favor of FICV in the long run. But then, just (very) recently, I've heard from a buddy that the IA was VERY impressed by the US Army's integrated Stryker brigades and that they thought this model was almost perfect for the IA and their long-term plans they are drawing up. I don't know if this necessarily translates into orders or what.

Wrt US stuff and modernisation- I'd have thought that much was obvious! C-17, AH-64E, M777, CH-47F, C-130J-30 and P-8I deals all in the bag or soon-to-be in the bag.

Wrt F-INSAS, not heard that specific bit of news but I know there is a LOT of collaboration going on with Indian pvt firms (TATA) as well as many foreign consultants and companies involved. So it is certainly possible India will be getting such help from the US.

Any more news on the Stryker? Last I heard the IA had abandoned that system in favor of FICV in the long run. But then, just (very) recently, I've heard from a buddy that the IA was VERY impressed by the US Army's integrated Stryker brigades and that they thought this model was almost perfect for the IA and their long-term plans they are drawing up. I don't know if this necessarily translates into orders or what.

I was talking about Pentagon help to DRDO. Isnt it surprising ??? I dont think TATA can handle such things beyond personal communisation. Lets see what come out if it ever

Striker right now is very cost effective option for us. New striker designed for warfares like Afganistan is abandoned by US army due to cuts. So 3000+ existing are being modified for them and company is searching new customer. Thats why it is being offered to us. New armer extra protection for personals and decent fire power. IA did show the interest and i think they are seriously thinking about it.

FICV - even though it is aimed after 2020 DRDO is having problems with some IA requirements ( didnt know on which ). So for now the programme is on hold till some way is figured out by two parties. But a well informed friend said DRDO is continuing with its own project

I was talking about Pentagon help to DRDO. Isnt it surprising ??? I dont think TATA can handle such things beyond personal communisation. Lets see what come out if it ever

Striker right now is very cost effective option for us. New striker designed for warfares like Afganistan is abandoned by US army due to cuts. So 3000+ existing are being modified for them and company is searching new customer. Thats why it is being offered to us. New armer extra protection for personals and decent fire power. IA did show the interest and i think they are seriously thinking about it.

FICV - even though it is aimed after 2020 DRDO is having problems with some IA requirements ( didnt know on which ). So for now the programme is on hold till some way is figured out by two parties. But a well informed friend said DRDO is continuing with its own project
Wrt F-INSAS, TATA is playing only a minor part- there are many partners involved in the effort. I guess it is somewhat surprising wrt US involvement in the project, but then at the same time- it's not!

FICV- the DRDO has no part to play in the project AFAIK as it is a 100% pvt affair so I don't know what they are sticking their oar in wrt this project. I'll repeat that, AFAIK, there's no major issues wrt the FICV project right now just that is still very early days and far too early for anyone to be getting worried about it. 2020 is a loooong way off yet!

Wrt F-INSAS, TATA is playing only a minor part- there are many partners involved in the effort. I guess it is somewhat surprising wrt US involvement in the project, but then at the same time- it's not!

FICV- the DRDO has no part to play in the project AFAIK as it is a 100% pvt affair so I don't know what they are sticking their oar in wrt this project. I'll repeat that, AFAIK, there's no major issues wrt the FICV project right now just that is still very early days and far too early for anyone to be getting worried about it. 2020 is a loooong way off yet!

Sometimes US become generous..... Or some deals done behind curtains ;) god knows.

FICV - even I was under same impression that DRDO has nothing to do with it. But it doesn't come out like that.
+ plus isn't it too much to expect form private players to invest huge sum for long duration. I dont think GOI can fund them unless IA approve the prototype.

Back
Top Bottom