What's new

India to provide helicopters to Afghanistan soon

Brahmos_2

Reaction score
Country
India
On board special aircraft: India will provide helicopters to war-torn Afghanistan "very soon", External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said today, months after President Hamid Karzai sought lethal weapons from the country.

"We are giving them helicopters and we will be supplying them very soon," Mr Khurshid told reporters who accompanied him on a day-long visit to Kandahar, where he inaugurated an agricultural university built with Indian aid.

"We have also been giving them some logistical support and we hopefully will be able to upgrade and refurbish their transport aircraft," he said.

Mr Khurshid did not specify the number or type of helicopters to be provided to Afghanistan.

Mr Karzai had sought military aid and equipment from India during a visit to New Delhi in December.

"Afghanistan is very special and uptil now wherever they felt they need (something), we have been giving them," Mr Khurshid said.

"I think it is consistent with our approach - building capacity, providing training. That seems to be going well. Ultimately it is what we mutually agree and is within our capacity to supply."

India is "not reluctant" about assisting Afghanistan as it has a very clear policy the world over to build capacity, Mr Khurshid said.

"We are not in the game of giving people large scale equipment which is lethal and so on," he said.

Earlier in Kandahar, Mr Karzai told journalists from India he was not dissatisfied with India's response to his request to supply military equipment to strengthen Afghan security forces.

"I am not disappointed. I am rather happy and grateful to India for its assistance," he said. "India's response has been good."

Mr Khurshid, speaking after he jointly inaugurated the Afghan National Agricultural Sciences and Technology University (ANASTU) in Kandahar with Karzai, said India will continue to assist the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).

The ANSF will play an important role in "this year of political and security transition" and the world community must fulfill its pledges to rebuild the Afghan National Army and Afghan National Police, he said.

Afghanistan is set to hold presidential polls on April 5 ahead of the US troop drawdown later this year.

India to provide helicopters to Afghanistan soon: Salman Khurshid | NDTV.com

On board special aircraft: India will provide helicopters to war-torn Afghanistan "very soon",

And what will be the price of these helicopters
We Know
FREE OF COST.
because buyers are not available in any corner of world.

Dhruv won't give much benefits. They'll probably send medium utility types
Do explain why you make such sweeping remarks about the proven ALH that can fly in any terrain at altitudes that most helps can't even dream of (useful for Afghanistan), is very advanced in terms of avionics, is multi mission and can fly day or night and in bad weather and can carry a pretty respectable load with a very impressive safety record won't "give much benefits" to them??

Most likely they are talking about Chetaks or Cheetahs anyway.

Do explain why you make such sweeping remarks about the proven ALH that can fly in any terrain at altitudes that most helps can't even dream of (useful for Afghanistan), is very advanced in terms of avionics, is multi mission and can fly day or night and in bad weather and can carry a pretty respectable load with a very impressive safety record won't "give much benefits" to them??

Most likely they are talking about Chetaks or Cheetahs anyway.

chill out. The requirements are proven for over years in Afghanistan. It's not about how mighty that indian chopper is. It's a light helicopter good at it's class. But Afghan environment require machines heavier than the Dhruv. Blackhawks, Merlins, Cougars, Pumas...etc. Please do a favor to me and make a research about the differences between medium and light utility choppers.

chill out. The requirements are proven for over years in Afghanistan. It's not about how mighty that indian chopper is. It's a light helicopter good at it's class. But Afghan environment require machines heavier than the Dhruv. Blackhawks, Merlins, Cougars, Pumas...etc. Please do a favor to me and make a research about the differences between medium and light utility choppers.
I'm aware of the difference, and are you telling me the Afghans have no need for a light class helo? Even the Indian Army is buying hundreds of ALHs and they are far larger than the ANA will ever be .

I'm aware of the difference, and are you telling me the Afghans have no need for a light class helo? Even the Indian Army is buying hundreds of ALHs and they are far larger than the ANA will ever be .

Again, please don't turn this into a show of power. We are aware of India's capabilities, but it's %75 specifications&capabilities that determine the factors at sub-aviation branches. I don't know what the Afghans went for. But I know that they can't get MH-6, UH-60, CH-47. So they are looking for an alternative in addition to the Russian equipment bought by US. Dhruv is a nice heli, but not suitable for high risk combat environments such as Afghanistan, over.

Again, please don't turn this into a show of power. We are aware of India's capabilities, but it's %75 specifications&capabilities that determine the factors at sub-aviation branches. I don't know what the Afghans went for. But I know that they can't get MH-6, UH-60, CH-47. So they are looking for an alternative in addition to the Russian equipment bought by US. Dhruv is a nice heli, but not suitable for high risk combat environments such as Afghanistan, over.
I was with you up until that last line sir. That is clearly not the case.

FREE OF COST.
because buyers are not available in any corner of world.
Unlike the JF-17, the Dhruv is already in service in nine countries and 12 more countries have expressed their intent on buying them. Further export will begin soon!

Please don't keep shooting from the hip. It makes you look silly!

though I agree with you on the point that Af will might choose more Mi-17 than some light class helos in bulk number,but I think you're wrong on "High Risk Combat Environment".see,we made out a "Gunship" out of this helo,and IA is agreed that its far better than even Armed Mi-17,which is bulky and less sophisticated.though Khurshid might be talking about Cheetah and Chetak helos on order(we're giving around 4 to Af) or may be future inductions,but Dhruv is more than capable to handle any combat environment,just like any capable helos of its class.plus,its not the size of helos Af should presently concentrate,its the number.see,Light helos like Dhruv can be used like Battlefield Helo which Af significantly lacks and in dire need to procure them.for this role,Dhruv is far efficient choice than Mi-17.

But reference is supply to Afghanitan.

we did supply few Chetak/Cheetah free of cost to them.and on this topic,you shouldn't take cheap shot to Af,while you too are at receiver end of acquiring arms in either "Free" or on "Soft Loan" scheme..

On board special aircraft: India will provide helicopters to war-torn Afghanistan "very soon", External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said today, months after President Hamid Karzai sought lethal weapons from the country.

"We are giving them helicopters and we will be supplying them very soon," Mr Khurshid told reporters who accompanied him on a day-long visit to Kandahar, where he inaugurated an agricultural university built with Indian aid.

"We have also been giving them some logistical support and we hopefully will be able to upgrade and refurbish their transport aircraft," he said.

Mr Khurshid did not specify the number or type of helicopters to be provided to Afghanistan.

Mr Karzai had sought military aid and equipment from India during a visit to New Delhi in December.

"Afghanistan is very special and uptil now wherever they felt they need (something), we have been giving them," Mr Khurshid said.

"I think it is consistent with our approach - building capacity, providing training. That seems to be going well. Ultimately it is what we mutually agree and is within our capacity to supply."

India is "not reluctant" about assisting Afghanistan as it has a very clear policy the world over to build capacity, Mr Khurshid said.

"We are not in the game of giving people large scale equipment which is lethal and so on," he said.

Earlier in Kandahar, Mr Karzai told journalists from India he was not dissatisfied with India's response to his request to supply military equipment to strengthen Afghan security forces.

"I am not disappointed. I am rather happy and grateful to India for its assistance," he said. "India's response has been good."

Mr Khurshid, speaking after he jointly inaugurated the Afghan National Agricultural Sciences and Technology University (ANASTU) in Kandahar with Karzai, said India will continue to assist the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).

The ANSF will play an important role in "this year of political and security transition" and the world community must fulfill its pledges to rebuild the Afghan National Army and Afghan National Police, he said.

Afghanistan is set to hold presidential polls on April 5 ahead of the US troop drawdown later this year

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQqQIwAA&url=http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/india-to-provide-helicopters-to-afghanistan-soon-salman-khurshid-483956&ei=nWIAU_vFHImKrQfO44GwBQ&usg=AFQjCNGUNNv830EZp8kRvvJ-q198BDttGQ

Back
Top Bottom