What's new

India to have 5,000 km range Agni missile next year

AK-47

BANNED
Reaction score
India to have 5,000 km range Agni missile next year

f8bd252cbe688ebe0bc8a17f19cf9e26.jpg

Bangalore: India will develop a nuclear capable missile with a range of over 5,000 km as part of the Agni series by December next year, the country's top defence scientist has said. Revealing for the first time that the 5,000 km plus range missile, dubbed Agni 3 + will be ready for trials by 2010, DRDO Chief M Natarajan has said that work is already on to add a third engine to the Agni 3 missile that has already been successfully test fired.

With the new missile, India will be able to reach targets as far as Europe and will for the first time have the capability to reach any part of China. Till now, the 3,500 km plus Agni III has been the longest-range nuclear capable missile with India. Natarajan said that work is already on to add a third stage to the Agni III missile and he was confident that a 'technology demonstrator' will be ready by "December 2010".

Keep annoucing new Missiles ...

They work or not ( thats not a problem )

On minus side, this will make India a direct target of European Nuclear weapons, including Russia's.

Regarding Indian missles working.

If indians can send dosens of Rockets into space carrying satalites !!!

THERE AGNI ABM will work too.

On minus side, this will make India a direct target of European Nuclear weapons, including Russia's.

We dont particularly have a gripe with any of the European nations or Russia for that matter. They already have ICBM's which can be prgrammed to fire on any country(including India). I dont really think that makes even the tiniest of difference.

What does matter, is that the industrial cities of China and the capital will come under the strike range of the missiles. All this is however far off. They will make the PV, and then serial productions will commence.

We dont particularly have a gripe with any of the European nations or Russia for that matter. They already have ICBM's which can be prgrammed to fire on any country(including India). I dont really think that makes even the tiniest of difference.

What does matter, is that the industrial cities of China and the capital will come under the strike range of the missiles. All this is however far off. They will make the PV, and then serial productions will commence.

Surely China will be more vigilant than the other nuclear powers as the geographical proximateness to India. China is perhaps already prepared with a kind of missile to counter-balance it to assure MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). And that capable missiles of China is 10+ times cheaper due to its geographical advantages against India.

However, my point is that, a theory of MAD asserts that MAD not only applies to conflicting parties, but also to all nuclear parties. For instance, if China strikes US, US and China should also eliminate Russia (plus others) as well: because after the dust settles, China and US would be occupied by Russia if it were not eliminated during the conflict. Now the same applies to India: if China is in conflict in Europe/Russia, how can Europeans/Russia sit assure that the Indians won’t occupy European continent after the disaster even though there is no more software industry left, much less need to say the Indians occupy China?

Surely China will be more vigilant than the other nuclear powers as the geographical proximateness to India. China is perhaps already prepared with a kind of missile to counter-balance it to assure MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction).
MAD comes into play after India deploys Agni V

Until that time we are at an inherent disadvantage due to our inability to hit the Eastern most regions of China

MAD assuares peace, albeit a peace that demands we remain vigilant at all times - not a bad demand IMO

And that capable missiles of China is 10+ times cheaper due to its geographical advantages against India.

did'nt quite get it Care to elaborate

For instance, if China strikes US, US and China should also eliminate Russia (plus others) as well: because after the dust settles, China and US would be occupied by Russia if it were not eliminated during the conflict.
And why spare France and UK? don't they posses nukes

Now the same applies to India: if China is in conflict in Europe/Russia, how can Europeans/Russia sit assure that the Indians won’t occupy European continent after the disaster even though there is no more software industry left, much less need to say the Indians occupy China?
The very same reason you spared France and UK of being obliterated by Chinese and US nukes - Geography works to Europe's favor vis-aivis an Indian occupation there

And you generalising the whole of Europe as one entity for occupying lacks adequate thought given to the post

India makes a ton of noise before it test anything and tell the world about it after its tested everything is COOOL.

So let me get this straight if God forbid there is a war between india and china i get my brown Azz toasted 2 excellent:toast_sign:.

Lets all hope it never comes to that.

About France, UK, if you read my post carefully to notice “all nuclear parties”, no more argument is needed for the rest of my text.

did'nt quite get it Care to elaborate

Roughly, the distance from the territory of India to Beijing is about 3000km, that from Tibet to New Delhi is about 300km plus an advantage of about 5km elevation on China's side. This is roughly how the 10 times more costly for Indian missiles/fighters comes from.

When you calculate military balance, especially aero-weaponry (missile, air-planes, etc.), you must figure in these geographical factors. Otherwise, you’ll let down your brave soldiers, leading to bad consequences no less than 1962’s.

India to fire 5,000 km range Agni missile by December 2010

Bangalore (IANS): India is likely to fire its Agni-V ballistic missile with a range of 5,000 km by the end of 2010, a senior official of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said Friday.

"We should be able to do something before December 2010," DRDO chief M. Natarajan said.

After the successful test of the 3,500 km range Agni-III in May last year, scientists are now working to club the first and second stage of the missile to increase its range to 5,000 km.

"We will be working on capitalising the first and second stages," Natarajan explained.

Agni-III is capable of carrying warheads weighing up to 1.5 tonnes, is 16 metres tall and weighs 48 tonnes.

Agni-I is a 750-800 km short-range missile. Agni-II has a range of more than 1,500 km. Both have already been inducted in the armed forces.

While Agni-III is capable of reaching strategic targets deep inside China like Beijing and Shanghai, it falls short of being an ICBM (inter-continental ballistic missile) that has a range of over 5,000 km.

The Hindu News Update Service

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom