What's new

India to expand nuclear energy program

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
India to expand nuclear energy program

Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS)

UNITED NATIONS, Nov. 2 (BSS/Xinhua) -- India said here yesterday that it will push forward with a dramatic expansion of its nuclear energy program, tripling its atomic energy output from 20,000 megawatts (MW) by 2020 to a projected 60,000 MW by 2030.

Prem Chand Gupta, a member of the Indian Parliament, made the remarks at an open meeting of the UN General Assembly to review a report of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

"India views nuclear energy as an essential element of its national energy basket," he said, both an essential clean source of energy to meet growing energy needs and out of concerns about climate change.

"We are committed to taking forward our three stage nuclear program based on a closed fuel cycle," he said.

India is an emerging major player in the nuclear world, and its plan for a three-stage closed fuel cycle program will test its ability to produce a safe and clean source of energy for its citizens.

Gupta also said India is launching a number of international initiatives that will bring the advantages of atomic energy to other developing countries in the region. In 2010, India donated a Bhabhatron II telecobalt unit -- an atomic radiotherapy cancer treatment -- to Vietnam, and it is in the process of donating a similar unit to Sri Lanka.

Given the recent disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan in March 2011, India was taking all appropriate nuclear safety measures, he added.

"It is imperative for the agency to take all necessary measures to allay misapprehensions in the public and member states about the safety of nuclear power plans taking into account the current advances in design and technology," Gupta said.

Glad to hear this. Desperately needed to coverup for our shortfall and increasing reliance on coal.
For everyone harping about the dangers of nuclear energy, I advice you to visit a site of a thermal power plant. Last time I was near Mundra, was covered with soot within a minute of stepping out of the vehicle. Hope this program brings an end to such plants.

Glad to hear this. Desperately needed to coverup for our shortfall and increasing reliance on coal.
For everyone harping about the dangers of nuclear energy, I advice you to visit a site of a thermal power plant. Last time I was near Mundra, was covered with soot within a minute of stepping out of the vehicle. Hope this program brings an end to such plants.
I too had a visit of mudra plant...
Really apart from solar and wind energy,nuclear is the remaining option for india to grow its electricity supply for this huge increasing demand from economy..

Nuclear is never going to be that easy lols....people are well aware of the possibilites of enormous dangers...i would like to see India investing more in Wind...its happening in a very massive way in Tamilnadu & wish it happens in all other feasible states too.....

Intentions are noble, one hopes the execution part is not derailed by these green peace inspired nut cases and other vested interests who cry when there are power cuts but obstruct plans for new reactors. The other day I heard someone saying on TV that he was protesting against the Koodankulam plant as the radioactive waste would be discharged into the seas thereby killing the fish. I mean, is it OK to be ignorant and protest against something one has no idea of? Is it also OK to be totally misled by someone deliberately feeding disinformation? Is it too difficult to understand that nuclear energy is the only hope for India as renewable sources are too expensive and unreliable.

Nuclear is never going to be that easy lols....people are well aware of the possibilites of enormous dangers...i would like to see India investing more in Wind...its happening in a very massive way in Tamilnadu & wish it happens in all other feasible states too.....
Renewable sources like wind, solar etc are the most ideal.
Unfortunately Wind Power required large tracks of land to be acquired (there is a limit to the generating capacity of a turbine and there is a minimum distance radius to be maintained between 2 turbines.) Reaching the levels of power generating capacity of a thermal power plant itself is a challenge for Wind Energy. Nuclear energy is a whole different league.

Back
Top Bottom