What's new

India strikes back at nuclear protesters

BoB's

Reaction score
Country
India
India strikes back at nuclear protesters

509277-india-amp-039-s-nuclear-storm.jpg

THE Indian government has frozen the accounts of four charities and deported a German tourist for participating in an anti-nuclear demonstration as it ratchets up claims "foreigners" are behind the opposition to the Russian-built Kudankulam facility in Tamil Nadu.

A German consular official yesterday confirmed Rainer Hermann Sonntag, 49, was deported on Tuesday night for violating the terms of his tourist visa, and that the consulate understood from media reports that he was accused of raising funds for anti-nuclear protests.

While the government has not released the names of the charities affected, the accounts of at least two Catholic diocese charities are believed to have been frozen on suspicion of having diverted foreign funds donated for poverty programs to the anti-nuclear protest, a violation of the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act.

Father William Santhaman from the Tuticorin Diocesan Association confirmed the group's funds had been frozen last week.

But he denied providing anything more than moral support to the protesters and said the organisation felt victimised.

"The Bishop had only extended his sympathy and moral support to the Kudankulam protesters because some fishermen are Roman Catholics," Father Santhaman told the Mail Today.

The action follows Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's comments last week to the prestigious Science journal that the commissioning of two 1000-megawatt nuclear reactors at the plant had encountered "difficulties because these NGOs, mostly I think based in the US, don't appreciate the need for our country to increase the energy supply".

The federal government's patience with a burgeoning anti-nuclear lobby appears to have reached an end as it faces a pressing need to expand power generation to fuel the economy.

Kudankulam protest co-ordinator SP Udayakumar has strenuously denied taking any charitable donations and says the entire campaign is funded through local fishing communities who fear a Fukushima-style meltdown at the Kudankulam facility, built in an area of coastal Tamil Nadu devastated by the 2004 Asian tsunami.

people like these must be dealt with harsh punishments....they fool poor gullible people for their own agendas...

While the government has not released the names of the charities affected, the accounts of at least two Catholic diocese charities are believed to have been frozen on suspicion of having diverted foreign funds donated for poverty programs to the anti-nuclear protest, a violation of the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act.

Father William Santhaman from the Tuticorin Diocesan Association confirmed the group's funds had been frozen last week.

Most of these anti-national funds come from missionaries and christian charities. It is a common fact that most of these christian organizations get a lot of "charity" money to fund anti-national activities in India. Bitter and harsh it may sound but this is the truth that most of us don't have the courage to face.

I dont understand what the reason for some INDIANS to go gaga when some one protest over some thing which they feel is dangerous for their livelyhood.
Those who are calling these protesters should go and see how big the protest is and if you think of deporting or killing them you have to kill the people of over a dozen village population and the district of nagarcoil.

Come on guys, will you all accept if the INDIAN goverment erect a Nuclear power plant near your home. will you not fear of radiation leack affecting your next generation, will you not fear of malfarmed babies, etc.

Don't be naive to your own country men.

I dont understand what the reason for some INDIANS to go gaga when some one protest over some thing which they feel is dangerous for their livelyhood.
Those who are calling these protesters should go and see how big the protest is and if you think of deporting or killing them you have to kill the people of over a dozen village population and the district of nagarcoil.

Come on guys, will you all accept if the INDIAN goverment erect a Nuclear power plant near your home. will you not fear of radiation leack affecting your next generation, will you not fear of malfarmed babies, etc.

Don't be naive to your own country men.

Nobody is trying to kill those protestors. But the vermin NGOs who prey on the gullible people's sensibilities for their own hidden agenda must be brought to books.

Nobody is trying to kill those protestors. But the vermin NGOs who prey on the gullible people's sensibilities for their own hidden agenda must be brought to books.
The organizer of the protest Udaya Kumar is suing the PM and his office bearers and even challening the PM to quit politics if its is not proved the protestors recived forigne funds.
Its easy for the Indian Government to forge documents and kill this movement.

I am not against the KKNPP, all I am saying is that its obligatory for the Government of INADIA to create new lviing space and township faraway from the sight of the Nuclear plant.

The organizer of the protest Udaya Kumar is suing the PM and his office bearers and even challening the PM to quit politics if its is not proved the protestors recived forigne funds.
Its easy for the Indian Government to forge documents and kill this movement.

I am not against the KKNPP, all I am saying is that its obligatory for the Government of INADIA to create new lviing space and township faraway from the sight of the Nuclear plant.

They can challenge in SC. I am all for it. But the PM went on national TV and went on to mention the names of specific countries. It is not as if he made some obscure arguments like 'maybe they are funded' or 'some foreign hand'. As an evidence we also have nabbed a german national on tourist visa hoofing around in KKNPP.

Also if it would have been that easy to douse a people's movement, they would have brought down Anna by now.

Wasn't there a thread on this forum, about Tamil Nadu having 8-hour power cuts every day?

And now in Tamil Nadu there is so much opposition to new power plants being built?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom