What's new

India set to build lab bigger than Cern

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
India is set to build the world’s largest magnet, which will be four times larger than the 12,500-tonne magnet housed in the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) detector at Cern in Geneva.

The Cern-like underground detector for the India-based Neutrino Observatory (NO) will be housed in Theni between Madurai and Kochi.

A 2-km underground tunnel is under construction at a cost of $250 million. An underground lab will also be constructed to conduct the research in particle physics.

The project is being implemented by the Bhabha Atomic Energy Research Centre (Barc) in association with several other institutes, including the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research and the Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre based in Kolkata.

The project will study properties of neutrinos and use a magnetised iron calorimeter as a detector.
Minister of steel Beni Prasad Verma pointed out that 50,000 tonne of special steel for NO is being supplied by the Steel Authority of India (SAIL).

“SAIL will supply 50,000 soft iron plates for NO. A trial production of soft iron plates was taken up at the Bhilai steel plant as per the composition and process parameters decided upon jointly by Barc and SAIL,” said Verma.

The minister further added that “the NO detector will be a stack of 150 layers of magnetised iron plates. Each plate will be of 4 m X 2m in size and 5.8 cm thick. A total of 15,000 such plates would be needed to complete the INO detector.”

A trial production of soft iron plates that had been sent by Bhilai has been found acceptable by Barc.

The experiments will involve high-end technology on a scale that has not been tried out earlier. Barc hope to start work in 2017.

Apart from the steel plates, the construction of special glass for 30,000 particle detectors and nearly 3.5 million fabricated chips used for cutting edge electronics is also being outsourced.
The project is being funded by the Department of Atomic Energy and the Department of Science and Technology.

India set to build lab bigger than Cern | Deccan Chronicle

The site of the future Neutrino observatory
New%20INO%20site%20at%20West%20Bodi%20Hills%20near%20Madurai.JPG

The official website of INO

INO

Good luck guys. All small and steady steps by India in the right direction.

Although India and Pakistan may not see eye-to-eye, regarding s***-loads of stuff; I rather still see India progress instead of any other white nation.

I sincerely wish, we can work out the Indian and Chinese model into our own development!

Good luck guys. All small and steady steps by India in the right direction.

Although India and Pakistan may not see eye-to-eye, regarding s***-loads of stuff; I rather still see India progress instead of any other white nation.

I sincerely wish, we can work out the Indian and Chinese model into our own development!

True said bro, India is not fast but I admire Indian steady development. Good and bad govts come but India keeps moving forward step by step. Such gradual and steady development is what India needs.

Buddy, you despise the Arabs, poke fun at Pakistan, hate India, bug Chinese, ...... Who are you.....really...? :blink:
Universal Soldier:D

No offence but your politicians have already started to work.:lol:

A Mehsud ! :D
No. Seriously. I'm perplexed!

No offence but your politicians have already started to work.:lol:

No offense either mate: Pakistan is where India was exactly 22 years ago, not a big gap to close!

If there are couple thousand of me(s) out there, it's all going to be OK :cheers:

Seriously ? Canadians seh bhi ziyaadaa pakaaa Canadian !
Yara, don't blame the Canadians. They're pretty pacifist people (minus the hockey), pretty women, easy going culture, respectful........ I'll stop here before getting personal :drag:

Back
Top Bottom